Possible move to Brisbane

Guest cjlawton73

Guest cjlawton73

Hi everyone,

I have just found this forum here is a bit of background

A couple of weeks ago we (myself, my wife and 6 year old daughter) decided that we could have a better life in OZ. We have previously moved to NZ in 2005 but that didn't work out, mainly due to our daughter being only a baby at the time and we probably needed more support from family than we realised...

Anyway, as I said we decided a couple of weeks ago that we should do something about it, suffice to say that things have moved on a quite a pace and I have a first phone interview on Monday morning for a role in Brisbane. (I am a Civil Engineer by the way)

At this stage I am quite open to location but from what I understand their is likely to be more work / better opportunities in Briisbane than Syndey or Melbourne.

Can anyone give any advise regarding suburbs we should look at and also schools?

I am sure there will be many more questions in the weeks and months to come, thanks in advance.

Chris, Amanda & Matilda

Hi everyone,

I have just found this forum here is a bit of background

A couple of weeks ago we (myself, my wife and 6 year old daughter) decided that we could have a better life in OZ. We have previously moved to NZ in 2005 but that didn't work out, mainly due to our daughter being only a baby at the time and we probably needed more support from family than we realised...

Anyway, as I said we decided a couple of weeks ago that we should do something about it, suffice to say that things have moved on a quite a pace and I have a first phone interview on Monday morning for a role in Brisbane. (I am a Civil Engineer by the way)

At this stage I am quite open to location but from what I understand their is likely to be more work / better opportunities in Briisbane than Syndey or Melbourne.

Can anyone give any advise regarding suburbs we should look at and also schools?

I am sure there will be many more questions in the weeks and months to come, thanks in advance.

Chris, Amanda & Matilda

Hi Guys,

First of all, welcome to PIO!!!! I know what you mean regarding the move to OZ :wink: We are moving to Brisbane in a few weeks too

I won't be able to give you first hand info cause I was never in Brissy (lived in OZ for 2 years though) but have been doing 1 year of research on Brisbane.

Soon, PIO people from OZ will surely give you the info you need. But, before they answer, you need to give them some info:

1. Near the city or close to the coast/beach?

2. Your renting price range

3. Will your job be most likely in the CBD?

4. Do you need to be close to public transport/train etc or you'll have your own transport?

In a nut shell, I read that most areas close to the city are good. Then there is the bayside, which is to the east and south east of the city (wynnum, sandgate, manly, wellington point, ormistion, cleveland, thornlands, victoria point). It's highly regarded too, but then it might be too far away from the city for you. The train station goes only till Cleveland. Then they also mention North lakes and Redcliff. There are a few threads on this forum about them. Have a look at them.

Many will tell you to avoid south, the Logan area. They say that some areas in there are not very good.

There are heaps of schools and they say the closer to the city are better. But there are good schools in other areas too! Have a look here Find a school

To get an idea about rent and suburbs, check here:

Rental Properties, Homes for Rent and Apartments to Lease - realestate.com.au

http://www.domain.com.au/?mode=rent

ourbrisbane.com | Guide for Brisbane events, dining, real estate, TV, travel, hotels + more

Moving to Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Adelaide? Find where to live cityhobo.com - Home

realestate.com has town reviews too....

http://localvoices.realestate.com.au/

As for us, we will start in Cleveland first. Its in the bayside. A bit far away from the city (50 mins by train) but I will be going by motorbike so that solved the problem for me :) Our daughter has been enrolled to a Catholic school there Star of The Sea.

Hope I helped a bit, feel free to ask and I will help if I can. Sorry that my info is only from research (but good one!!!) :smile:

I'm sure others living there will tell you more.

BTW Good luck for the interview mate!

Cheers

B!K3R

Btw, I have to add that to the North is the Sunshine Coast and to the South the Gold Coast. Most families seem to head more to the Sunshine Coast on the weekends/holidays since they say Gold Coast is more of a commercial place.

So you might need to keep this mind when deciding on the area. But there are highways which takes ye to both anyway.

Also check where the highways are since these will be important for your commutes

Check these for public transport and highways:

http://www.translink.com.au/

brisbane.jpg

Cheers

B!K3R

I'm heading out with wife and 2 kids in February so have been doing a fair bit of research myself.

The attached spreadsheet is what I've been using to narrow down neighbourhoods. It shows the school results for Y3 of primary schools, neighbourhood and travel time to Fortitude Valley on public transport (from translink website).

Red is ruled out for me due to either cost or commuting time.

Orange is a possibility

Green are my favourites.

It helped me but may be useless for anyone else:laugh:

I'm not 100% sure that's the best way of looking at it... the schools all around Brisbane have quite tight catchment areas.

Ascot - expensive place to live, lots of arrogant people with more money than sense live there but they have beautiful houses if you can afford it. Indooroopilly State School and Indooroopilly State High are both nice schools. "Indro" as it's referred to, has enough stuff here that you don't REALLY need to go to the CBD of Brisbane but then it's 15-20 minutes on a straight bus route maximum from the shopping centre.

Chapel Hill... if you want a leafy Western suburb on a direct bus route straight into Indro/Brisbane CBD, cool. Same for Fig Tree Pocket.

Consider looking on Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au at some houses in some of your "green" areas you've highlighted... and see roughly what they can ask of you. To be honest, it CAN be very deceiving. Often they look nothing like that inside. Realestate are cocky with their photos in Aus. Moreso than in the UK.

Good luck though :biggrin:

Guest iwazawhingingpom

Bracken Ridge (Tafe side) is lovely area, family friendly nice schools small shopping centre Dr's etc..

Rental price around $400

Near to Strathpine which has large Mall -Cinema-Bowling etc

Around 30 min commute in car to city-

Woody point area- Scarborough- Margate Redcliffe are also beautiful and near the sea , but around 40-45 min commute to city !!

Lived Brissy for 3 years, hope this helps

Deb :biggrin:

Archived