TRA - making it easier to work in Oz on arrival

Guest The.Colebecks

Guest The.Colebecks

Just received this information via our agent (GoMatilda)..........

Date: Monday, April 09, 2007

The assessing body that oversees skills assessment applications for those with trade skills who are planning migrating to Australia - Trades Recognition Australia - has published an Easter bulletin.

The Bulletin (which can be accessed via the weblink below) discusses two important issues:

Offshore Assessment Services

For the last few years it has been recognised that those with trade skills have had difficulty securing immediate employment in Australia. Migrants with certain occupations have required further courses of study leading to Australian qualifications before they could commence work - which while understandable to a degree clearly delays the time before a skilled migrant can help meet skills shortages in Australia.

In February 2006 the Council of Australian Governments agreed to introduce new arrangements that would make it easier for migrants with skills that meet Australian standards to work as soon as they arrive in Australia. In its Easter bulletin TRA has announced that it is presently planning that Australian registered training organisations will be given authority from the 1st of July 2007 to carry out competency based assessments in certain occupations and in certain countries that will enable individuals to undergo a single assessment that will meet the requirements of:

- migration,

- qualification recognition, and

- occupations licensing requirements

The countries where these assessments will be carried out are:

- the UK

- India

- South Africa

- Sri Lanka

- the Phillippines

The trades in which these assessments will be possible are:

- General Electrician

- General Plumber

- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic

- Motor Mechanic

- Carpenter and Joiner

- Electrical Powerline Tradesperson

- Cable Jointer

More details are expected in the next 2 to 3 months.

Childcare Co-Ordinators

TRA assumed responsibility for the assessment of the occupation Childcare Co-Ordinator on the 1st of July 2006.

Having reviewed information provided to applicants TRA advises that it will accept evidence of work experience of not less than 3 years in a regulated environment of substantial size with children whose ages fall anywhere within the 0 to 5 age group.

Weblink: TRA Bulletin

Guest jonseywife

Cheers for that Karen

My OH is a plumber.... and apparently it's a right pain for plumbers to get registered, licensed etc., when your out in Oz. Its a good idea they should have thought of this sooner. I hope we can manage to take advantage of it before we go (will have to find out more as OH passed TRA already but maybe they will offer the training/licencing bit for applicants half way through- I hope so)............. But for new applicants its definately good news....... :biggrin:

We also received this from MARA Agent Visa Unit

http://www.dimia.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/changes/qa.htm

Important changes to General Skilled Migration

Joint Media Release with The Hon Julie Bishop MP, Minister for Education, Science and Training

Friday, 6 April 2007

The Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, the Hon Kevin Andrews MP and Minister for Education, Science and Training, the Hon Julie Bishop MP today announced details of reforms to Australia's General Skilled Migration (GSM) programme.

‘These important reforms, which take effect from 1 September 2007, will ensure higher standards of English are attained by students coming to Australia to study,’ Ms Bishop said.

‘Students wishing to apply for a GSM visa will now be required to have a stronger understanding of the English language and undertake relevant work experience,’ Mr Andrews said.

The English language threshold requirement for all GSM visas will increase.

The points test will be adjusted to benefit applicants with advanced Australian tertiary qualifications, Australian skilled work experience and strong English language skills.

‘The changes are important for students and our education providers as it creates greater certainty that international students will have the language proficiency to gain the full benefit of their studies. This also assists in maintaining the strong reputation of our education sector as a provider of high quality education to international students,’ Ms Bishop said.

The changes also include major structural reforms, in which the 11 skilled migration visa categories will be collapsed into just four, the 15 skilled migration visa subclasses will be collapsed into nine, creating a more efficient visa system and all GSM visas will be able to be lodged through the internet.

A temporary visa will be created to enable overseas students already studying in Australia to remain in Australia while they gain skilled work experience, improve their English language or undertake a professional year. A new temporary visa will also be created for recent graduates from recognised overseas institutions with key skills in demand in Australia.

‘The changes would lead to better labour market outcomes for all General Skilled Migration applicants and help deliver the skills Australian employers need,’ said Mr Andrews.

Additional information

New English language threshold requirement for GSM visas

• Applicants with skills in professional, technical or managerial occupations will be raised from an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 5 (vocational) to 6 (competent)

• Applicants with recognised trade skills applying for General Skilled Migration will be required to meet the current threshold of IELTS 5

New Onshore students – Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) Visa

• New visa category for overseas students who are unable to immediately qualify for GMS on completing their studies

• 18 month visa

• No work or study restrictions

• Main applicant must be under 45, have met the two year study requirement in the last 6 months, have a suitable skills assessment in their nominated occupation, meet the English language threshold

• Not points tested

• Can apply for a permanent or provisional GSM or an employer sponsored visa at any time

New Offshore Graduate – Skilled – Recognised Graduate (Temporary) Visa

• New visa aimed at addressing ‘niche’ shortages in the labour market

• 18 months visa

• No work or study restrictions

• Main applicant must be 30 or under, have completed a degree in a specified discipline from a specified educational institution in the last 12 months and meet the English language threshold

• Not points tested

• Can apply for a permanent or provisional GSM or an employer sponsored visa at any time

Cheers Andrew

http://www.aiec.biz

:idea: HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I am waiting, (sings very badly)why am I waiting, why am I waiting ohhhhhhhh why am I waiting :arghh: for my skills assessment to come back from TRA in Childcare Coordinator category, I wonder if these changes are why it is taking so bally long, IMO I have been working in a regulated environment, working with under 5's for the last 5 years so hopefully it will be a positive result:yes:

every thing has been crossed for the last 4 weeks, it's startiing to get uncomfortable:wacko:

Archived