Dog needs a home-Can anybody help?

Guest guest17301

Guest guest17301

This is a last ditch attempt to find a good home for our lovely 7 year old dog. We have been searching for the past 6 months and have been let down by family and friends who promised to have her then changed their minds. If I had known before we started this that we would struggle to find her a home then we wouldn't even have started.

I am starting to not want to go and I can't even look at the poor dog. We have had her since she was 12 weeks old and she is the most gentle and placid loveable dog imaginable. There is no way we can afford to take her with us and due to her sensitive temperement I think it is kinder to find her an alternative home if possible.

If we can't rehome her soon then she will have to go to the dogs home...I am dreading this because I think it will be too much for her and make her go mad. She has only been in kennels once for a week and was traumatised by the experience If any one has any ideas I would be glad to hear of them.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tony and sheena

Fiona, we put up posters in the vet surgeries and pet shops and contacted Dogs Trust. The posters had photos of him and a little story from him saying that his owners were moving away and he loved children etc. We had loads of calls but people were put off when they heard he was eleven, and not house trained as he was an outside dog. The posters were up for about two months, when the vet's wife called into the surgery and saw them. She came that day and he went to live with them that weekend. When Tony and the kids went to visit him a few days later, she had trained him and he lives in the house, so we were very lucky.

You could try that, good luck!

Sheena

Guest guest17301

Hi Wiccan, she is a mongrel though we are told she is part collie part labrador. She is black and medium sized. She has never been spayed and this also puts people off. We should have had her done years ago but we didn't I feel like such an irresponsible dog owner

Guest wiccanwitch

your not so get that out your mind i have 2 sbt 1 girl she to hasnt been done and i have 1 boy bruce he has been done

i will ask around but please do put posters up and advertise her locally in the paper to (but be carefull)

there are people out there that arnt nice to dogs

Guest DebbieS

Is you dog a pedigree? I only ask because most breeds have good rescue organisations who will help you if needed.

If she is a cross breed, maybe try The Dogs Trust, they do say they never put a healthy dog to sleep. I would personally avoid The RSPCA.

Sorry I can't help as I breed Great Danes, so not much room left in my house. I do hope you sort something out, I know how upsetting this must be, if we ever manage to find an employer to sponsor us (hubby's job not on SOL & not enough kids out there to give balance of family) we will have some tough decisions to make.

Guest guest17301
your not so get that out your mind i have 2 sbt 1 girl she to hasnt been done and i have 1 boy bruce he has been done

i will ask around but please do put posters up and advertise her locally in the paper to (but be carefull)

there are people out there that arnt nice to dogs

Thats the reason I wanted her to go to family or friends..if I put an ad in the paper it's pot luck, some family could have her then decide they don't like her or don't want a dog after all....It feels kinder to send her to the dogs home at least they will vet the home..but God knows how long she would be waiting for a home. It's our fault we have made her into a baby, she lives in the house and is so soft she is just a big baby. I am so sad for her, can't bear the thought of her not being loved. I have foolishly put this to the back of my mind but time is running out now. Thought I could be cold about it but I can't

hi fiona, vets pet shops,, also put an advert on www.stabletalk.co.uk people with horses allways go hand in hand with dogs , its free, and say your migrating on the advert also thats she is good with dogs etc also try your yellow pages for tack (horses) shops and put a notice in these same go's its definitly worth trying, ps castration and spaying is not compulsery its more for convenience and the dogs health later in life ! this does not make you a bad mommy!!!

Guest guest17301

Thanks so much for your link Sharon, been on though and it says ads for animals other than horses and ponies will be removed? I will try the tack shops though, there is one quite close to me. Many thanks

Guest pixie_duzt2003@hotmail.co

ah this is so sad, it must be so hard for you, not only having to leave your dog, but also worryin about finding him a her a good home, in know my sister would take her in a second as she has been looking for a rescue dog for a while now,its just a shame we are so far from you, i hope you find her a loving home.

Guest spottymercedes

This may not be much help at all, but have you looked through local classifieds either online or in actual papers. Sometimes you find an ad where someone really wants to give a dog a home, but doesn't have the money to pay for one. When our dog was in her 1st season, she ran off and we were convinced she was pregnant, and I looked and found quite a few ads where people were offering a loving home but couldn't afford an adoption fee or the cost of a pedigree. Luckily she wasn't pregnant and we didn't need to find homes, but there were quite a few ads like that back then. If I were in the UK I would take her. I will have a look for ads now and let you know if I see anything.

Guest spottymercedes

Hi Fiona,

I have had a quick look with google for some local classified ads in your area but not had much luck. Maybe if you know of some local classified papers who have websites it may be easier, but as I don't know your area of the country I am struggling to know where to look. I have however found some websites of various animal rescue centres which I think are fairly close to you who seem to take animals in and rehome them which may be a good option, I know you said you dog does not do well in a kennel environment, but maybe she could stay with you whilst they look for a home.

the websites, e-mail addresses etc are listed below. There are probably loads more but these are just some which I have found.

www.pawprintsanimalrescue.co.uk tel no. Faye 01782 411920 e-mail faye.pawprints@btinternet.com This looks like a good place, which does deal mainly with cats, but has some dogs on its website.

www.plusbreeds.com this website has a section on rehoming centres it includes a link to Dogs Trust and RSPCA. (personally I would agree with another poster on this thread and avoid RSPCA as I don't trust them and they seem to have some very strange policies on certain things, but thats just my personal opinion)

Hereford and Worcester Animal Rescue. This is a small family run organisation which seems to really care. I am a bit ignorant and have to say without looking at a map don't know how far this is from you, but its worth a look and maybe a phonecall as they may know someone who can help.

Telephone is 01885 482967 (carol) or 01981 540009 (dawn). email hwanimalresue@aol.com

website is www.hwanimalrescue.org

I did also look on vivastreet.co.uk for freeads, maybe you could post a 'good home needed' ad on here or search again for a 'wanted' ad. also preloved.co.uk have a section for animals needing new homes although you need to register with them to get the person placing the ads details.

There are probably loads of other sites which have 'wanted' ads or if you were prepared to travel, maybe there would be someone in a different area who could take the dog for you.

I hope that maybe some of the above will be of some help to you or maybe someone else on PIO will have another idea for you. Don't give up as there must be an answer out there somewhere or a person who has lost a beloved pet who can take her for you. Good Luck and let us know how you get on. xxxxx

Can you ask your sponsor to help with the costs as they may be able to do something with salary sacrifice which means they reimburse you the costs of getting her over here and then you pay them back through your wages, reducing your tax payments. OH's employer allowed us to do this with the cost of moving which has been a great help in our first year.

Might be worth asking.

We originally re-homed our 10 year old Jack Russell and she's one spoilt little baby I can tell you but things didn't work out (and we missed her too much) so we bit the bullet and brought her over and she's as happy as larry. We thought the journey, time away from us would be too much for her but when we went to quarantine to visit her she didn't seem bothered at all just glad to see us. They said the owners are the ones who get more stressed about the whole thing than the dogs.

Get a few quotes for transportation as they can vary alot.

Good luck and you will find her a new home I'm sure....or maybe she'll come with you what's mean to be is meant to be

Guest jogrant3232
Can you ask your sponsor to help with the costs as they may be able to do something with salary sacrifice which means they reimburse you the costs of getting her over here and then you pay them back through your wages, reducing your tax payments. OH's employer allowed us to do this with the cost of moving which has been a great help in our first year.

Might be worth asking.

We originally re-homed our 10 year old Jack Russell and she's one spoilt little baby I can tell you but things didn't work out (and we missed her too much) so we bit the bullet and brought her over and she's as happy as larry. We thought the journey, time away from us would be too much for her but when we went to quarantine to visit her she didn't seem bothered at all just glad to see us. They said the owners are the ones who get more stressed about the whole thing than the dogs.

Get a few quotes for transportation as they can vary alot.

Good luck and you will find her a new home I'm sure....or maybe she'll come with you what's mean to be is meant to be

I agree with Adey and would do as much as is possible to take the dog. it is an easy process ,

Guest Clarabelle
I agree with Adey and would do as much as is possible to take the dog. it is an easy process ,

I absolutely agree with you two. Do everything you can to bring the dog. I've taken my dog both from Australia to England and back again. It would have broken my heart to have left her behind. They cope extremely well and it's only money at the end of the day!

Guest guest17301
I absolutely agree with you two. Do everything you can to bring the dog. I've taken my dog both from Australia to England and back again. It would have broken my heart to have left her behind. They cope extremely well and it's only money at the end of the day!

Believe me, if I could lay my hands on the 2.5k (at least) required she would be coming with us no hesitation. Yes it's only money, my sentiments exactly, no good if I ain't got it though is it!? We take her on holiday with us to the coast every year. She thrives at the beach. Without going into detail this emigration has drained our financial resources and there is no where else to turn for the cash. As I said before we thought we had made arrangements that were in her best interests...was all set to talk to her every week via web cam..but the best laid plans and all that.

Thanks so much to all for your responses. Spotty Mercedes, you are a star , I will follow up those numbers today and let you know. I just hope we can sort something out. I'm sure it will all work out for the best.

Guest Dionne and Rickie

I feel sooo much for you my heart ached for my two dogs, i have a 5year old Boxer and my best friend has asked to have her and we have already syarted to introduce her to her family and their Jack russel. My other dog is my 10 year old Labrador and she is my baby and a big gentle giant, after months of trying to find a friend or family to adopt her and getting absalutly nowhere we have decided to take her with us. So i am saving for her flight now and what we hav'nt got will come out of when we sell the house, i really feel for you that you are unable to take her with you, i dont know what i would do if we could'nt (we cant really afford it) and my husband thinks im mad. But with me and the kids its 2 against 1.xx

Guest tandcmum

I really feel for you, it must be such a hard decision to make, but also it is very expensive to take animals too and as you say if you don't have the cash you don't have it. I really hope you find her a loving home soon

Archived