The beach every day ?

Que Sera Sera

It's been mentioned in other threads that part of the Aussie lifestyle is going to the beach everyday and that maybe people don't actually get to the beach much for various reasons. I wonder what everyone's experience is. Mine is that we do indeed go to the beach every day sometimes twice a day as we have fantastic dog beaches where we can let the dog off the lead and walk for k's. I've now started jogging and very often jog along the footpath next to the beach and the OH likes fishing . Now we don't tend to do the surfing, sunbathing thing all that often maybe once a month but we do spend a lot if time by the water. We are saving hard for a jet ski at the moment and one day would love a boat. What's your experiences or expectations?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that I personally don't really enjoy the beach in the conventional sense, I get bored laying about, so read etc. but even then I will get bored after an hour. Walking the dog on the beach however is bliss so I would happily do that every day and plan to!

We live 20 mins from the nearest beach and make the trip at least once a week, mainly for dog walking but also for whole day visits in Summer mainly. If we lived within walking distance we would most definitely be there on a daily basis.

We get to the beach rarely, to be honest, other than holiday time. Too many other things going on. When we go, we often say we should go more often. The beach is great, that said, when we moved we didn't expect that the beach would be a regular occurrence (too many family and friends to keep up with).

I'd love a paddleboard and a tinny to go fishing. The sea was part of my formative years and I would love my kids to know about the sea. It is just making time for it all.

10 km for us.

Once a month in winter. Far to cold to swim, just walk with a few photos.

Kids a bit small for more than an hour or two at a time but as they get older we will try for more. We go most weekends in summer and maybe once after work as well. Mix of flat Frankston and waves at pt Leo

We get to the beach rarely, to be honest, other than holiday time. Too many other things going on. When we go, we often say we should go more often. The beach is great, that said, when we moved we didn't expect that the beach would be a regular occurrence (too many family and friends to keep up with).

I'd love a paddleboard and a tinny to go fishing. The sea was part of my formative years and I would love my kids to know about the sea. It is just making time for it all.

Pretty similar to that.....I love the beach (particularly swimming in the ocean) and would happily go every day if I lived on one. I don't, because in Sydney living near the beach would involve too many other compromises in terms of commuting (especially) or cost, or both.

Wife isn't fussed about the beach and, being a redhead, makes such a palaver of sunscreen, sun shelters and the rest of it that it becomes a major expedition, so we don't go. I'm happy chucking a towel, swimmers and a frisbee in the car and just going personally

For us, the nearest beaches are the (fabulous) ones on the northern beaches of Sydney. About 30 mins to the closest, Mona Vale and Warriewood

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well I live about a 5 minute walk to the beach and about 2 minutes to the coastal path. So pretty everyday we either go for a run or a walk along the path and then down to the beach. Anyone who has been down to Cronulla will know how nice the water front is down here, its busy pretty all day with runners and walkers. I love being able to go down there almost everyday. I know we will spend alot more time on the beach next summer.

We're not keen beach goers to be honest .. probably once a year (but not xmas day ... don't want to look like a tourist lol).

This year will be my 2nd Aussie Christmas, and I will make sure we go to the beach this time. But saying that it won't be with all the tourists in the City. We will be down the South Coast in the Shoalhaven area, which has some of the best beaches in NSW and they don't get too busy, well worth a visit anytime of the year.

Guest JK2510

This above is our local dog beach...in the summer try to get there every week..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369049372.072151.jpg

This above is our local human beach...TBH we don't get there as much as we would like...work commitments don't allow it very often...:(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369049372.072151.jpg

Like the beach at any time but summer! Scottish skin and not enough shade for me! In the summer I'd rather go to the river, it's closer, dog likes it, son likes it and I'm under cover and 100yards from coffee shops! Love walking the dog on the beach out of season though, wrap up and get the sea breeze - bit more like being back home I guess....

We live very close to the beach. ten minute walk or so. But we certainly don't get there every day because of work. Nevertheless I get great pleasure from just seeing the sea, from the house and on the journey to / from work too.

This year will be my 2nd Aussie Christmas, and I will make sure we go to the beach this time. But saying that it won't be with all the tourists in the City. We will be down the South Coast in the Shoalhaven area, which has some of the best beaches in NSW and they don't get too busy, well worth a visit anytime of the year.

I love that coast down there.....just fabulous. I see the guys and girls rocking up to Bombo and nearby in their Utes with boards and thinking that looks like the classic Aussie growing up image of old - small towns, close communities, natural beauty everywhere

Can't be doing with the beach on Xmas day though, that's one cliche too far

​:wink:

Guest Ptp113

Haven't been to a beach in Oz for 20-30 years. Bora Bora yes, but that's some distance from Oz

Guest chris955

It used to be a couple of times a year, not somewhere any of us really care for that much.

Well I live about a 5 minute walk to the beach and about 2 minutes to the coastal path. So pretty everyday we either go for a run or a walk along the path and then down to the beach. Anyone who has been down to Cronulla will know how nice the water front is down here, its busy pretty all day with runners and walkers. I love being able to go down there almost everyday. I know we will spend alot more time on the beach next summer.

We're in Sutherland Shire too, but I have to admit that I'm not too keen on Cronulla/Wanda beaches - too busy for me. I like the beaches in Bundeena and Wattamolla in the Royal National Park, but to be honest we don't go to the beach ever so much. In Feb-April we like to go to the beach to swim, then during autumn/winter/spring we go but only to walk. We don't really go during the summer - our swimming pool is more attractive in the summer.

I love that coast down there.....just fabulous. I see the guys and girls rocking up to Bombo and nearby in their Utes with boards and thinking that looks like the classic Aussie growing up image of old - small towns, close communities, natural beauty everywhere

Can't be doing with the beach on Xmas day though, that's one cliche too far

​:wink:

My girlfriend thinks the same, that's why we didn't go the last time I was here for Christmas, but im not giving here the choice this year. She is from Nowra so we try to get down there as often as we can. I just love it down there, and would love to live there one day. As well as the coast you have places like Kangaroo Valley and Fitzroy Falls. All this is making me want to go down there next weekend.

Guest Ptp113
My girlfriend thinks the same, that's why we didn't go the last time I was here for Christmas, but im not giving here the choice this year. She is from Nowra so we try to get down there as often as we can. I just love it down there, and would love to live there one day. As well as the coast you have places like Kangaroo Valley and Fitzroy Falls. All this is making me want to go down there next weekend.

My parents lived at Bomaderry (Nowra) then Vincentia south of Nowra when I was away in the RAAF. Didn't do much for me back then but it seems to have improved these days. And anywhere in the Southern Highlands would be a good place to live, particularly horse owners like us.

I used to live 100 m from a beach and hardly went to it as the water in Melbourne is freezing. Even saving moved to Qld for warmer weather we go less than we did in England. in summer it is too hot here as you start burning in a few minutes. I love the sea and water sports but the decent beaches are an hour away from Brisbane and its too much effort

My parents lived at Bomaderry (Nowra) then Vincentia south of Nowra when I was away in the RAAF. Didn't do much for me back then but it seems to have improved these days. And anywhere in the Southern Highlands would be a good place to live, particularly horse owners like us.

Probably wouldn't want to live in Nowra but there are plenty of nice areas around the South Coast.

We holiday down that way quite frequently. Currarong is lovely, quiet seaside suburb, but my absolute favourite is Kangaroo Valley area. Beautiful! Doesn't need to be near the beach!

Archived