Best Bars in Sydney

Guest guest66832

Guest guest66832

Hi there, has anyone got any comments on the following bars in the Sydney area?

Orbit Lounge Bar on level 47 at Australia Square , Water Bar at Woolloomooloo, Establishment on George Street, Zeta Bar at the Hilton, Opera Bar, the Brooklyn Hotel on George Street and Pier 26 at Darling Harbour.

Also, where are the best places to actually mingle with Aussies as opposed to mixing with the backpacker community?

I'm too old and family-ed up to be a good guide. Also I like pubs, and in Sydney almost the only good ones are in the centre, so on the rare occasion I'm out in the centre I prefer to go pubbing rather than bars, IYSWIM

Views are always good. So I'd be looking at the Orbit. And if it's rubbish then the Brooklyn and Establishment are no distance away.......

Not big on Darling Harbour bars meself. And I can't stand Hilton hotels, so I wouldn't be darkening the doors of any of their bars. Opera Bar is lovely on a sunny afternoon (indeed I was there for a drink a week or so back, great vibe at 4pm). In the evening at this time of year? Potential of being a bit chilly and bare. No idea about the Water Bar

I must admit I've never had an issue with non-Aussie clientele, most places I've been, most of the punters have been Aussies. Even in the Rocks (actually I think the Australian is my favourite pub in town, it's a proper old pub with great beer). And Sydney is such a multicultural and multinational place anyway. I don't see huge amounts of backpackers drinking in town tbh.

Got a pub crawl round Surry Hills booked in (with a "proper" pass including lie-in!) on Saturday night, can't wait

:biggrin:

Guest guest66832

It's not that I have a problem with the backpacker community, it's just that I would like to mingle with some of the locals. Most of the bars I mentioned are up market places so so when I return in July I will be taking some smart clothes with me to get in.

Where abouts is the Australian?

Archived