UK mum of a 2 and 4 yr old moving to newcastle/port stephens

Guest yoyobeaker

Guest yoyobeaker

Hi

My husband has been offered a job in Newcastle and we should be leaving the uk in the next 2 to 3 months.

Can anyone advise of things to do and good schools around port Stephen's.

Thanks in advance yoyobeaker

Guest Aussie in the UK

Hi there,

I never lived in Newcastle, but we have family friends in the area who I have stayed with quite frequently. I don't know much about schools, but there's lots to do =)

Go to Anna Bay, and explore Birubi Beach. It's a fantastic surf beach and has the most amazing sand dunes you will ever seen! It's as if you're standing in a desert, but you can still hear the sounds of the ocean! The sand dunes stretch for miles and you can drive on them if you have a permit (and a 4WD!). There's plenty of rough driving for dare devils, but it's also nice to just pick a big dune, drive tot he top and picnic overlooking the beach and the town. You can also drive down to Tin City at the Stockton end of the beach, which is where they filmed Mad Max (an old Mel Gibson film set in a post-apocalyptic future). It's a tiny cluster of tin shacks in the middle of nowhere that people still live in, and they regularly have to bulldoze sand away from their homes as the shifting dunes constantly threaten to bury the houses! There's also a shipwreck somewhere along the beach.

There's Salamander Bay & Raymond Terrace which are good for shopping (by small-town Australian standards at least!), and plenty of regular local markets selling everything from fresh food, to handmade goods, to second-hand knick-knacks.

Not sure if I've been much help, as all of the places I've mentioned are a bit outside of Newcastle central, but I've at least bumped the thread up so hopefully someone a little more knowledgeable than me will stop by and help out!

• 1 month later...
Guest LCP100

Hi - when you get to Newcastle (you might already be here!) and if you fancy meeting up for a coffee, let me know. I'm from London and recently emigrated to Newcastle with my Aussie husband and our two boys (similar ages to yours - 4yrs and 17mths). I'm looking to meet people and make new friends!

Cheers

Lisa

Guest yoyobeaker

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the response. Would love to meet. We are still in the uk. Hoping to be in Newcastle by mid July. Will keep you posted.

Kate

Archived