Brisbane to Sydney

blobby1000

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Byron Bay - Australia Zoo - great places.

Surfers - felt like being in Tenerife to me.

Loads of theme parks on the gold coast.

Thats why I loved Surfers paradise, I love Tenerife, lol

We loved the zoo and Seaworld.

Guest shusselmann
Going to be travelling from Brisbane to Sydney in September with our 2 boys aged 4 and 2. Lots of places, none of which we know very well.

Any recommendations for great locations to stay in and a few to avoid would be greatly appreciated

My understanding is that you're travelling TO Sydney?? Are you coming on holiday? I'm not sure of your budget but any central hotel would be perfect. If you want to be by the beach I'd recommend Manly, Bondi or Coogee as fairly iconic beach locations. You could check out accommodation on Airbnb.

I can suggest loads of things to see and do but don't want to get carried away in case I've misunderstood the question! Let us know.

It depends how much time you have. I once spent a week travelling from Brisbane to Sydney, stopping overnight at Kirra, Murwillumbah, Yamba, Sawtell, Kempsey and Taree. Or you could take the inland New England Highway which I like too. Then again, you could travel further west, to Goondiwindi say, and then south, or, as I did once, but travelling north the other way, via St George, Lightning Ridge, Boggabri, Scone. That way you get to see a bit of outback QLD & NSW, where it really is another world from the big cities on the coast.

If you want to save a bit of money on accomodation, stay in pubs (hotels) as opposed to motels. You might not get ensuite but it's cheaper and perhaps more of an (Aussie) experience, maybe getting a room that opens out on to the verandah. I had one of those rooms at The Cobb & Co Hotel in St George, also in another pub in Goondiwindi (GUN-DA-WINDY!)

I don't know why people worry about whether a place is 'interesting' or not because EVERYWHERE is interesting to me, especially when I've not been there before. If you only have a couple of nights to spare, then stay wherever you become sick of driving. I especially like Port Macquarie, about the only place I'd consider retiring to outside of Sydney, or maybe Armidale or Tamworth if you do the New England Highway.

We did he drive recently from Sydney to Brisbane, port Macquarie was really nice , we just would drive for a few hours and stop and explore for a few hours and stopped at coffs harbour on thway up and port ,acquire on the way back .

Having done the drive a number of time, I would probably head down the coast, not sure how the Pacific Highway road works are progressing though? September is the middle of the whale watching season so you could always stop at the Gold Coast and take a whale watching tour. Lamington and Springbrook National Parks are lovely if nature/bush walking are your thing. You have to stop at the Big Banana in Coffs Harbour. It's an Aussie icon!! Byron Bay is lovely, if not a little overcrowded these days. Nelson Bay, just north of Newcastle is gorgeous on a summer day and still has a sleepy seaside town feel about it. Enjoy your road trip.

Thanks that sounds great. So fat we have 2 nights in Brisbane, 4 in Springbrook National Park at the Mouse House, then 2 nights in Bryon Bay and 2 nights in Bellingen...

Will definitely look up Nelson Bay thats exactly the sort of place we like and the Big Banana of course!!

Archived