why is it so difficult?

they are killer days, but i have to do it.. i know what you mean though.. when i moved here i had saved enough to not have to work for 3 months... i was applying for jobs after being here 3 days.. i was going crazy, having always worked since leaving school.

i wish i could find something closer to home, but to be honest i am just grateful to have a job, so i am not going to complain..

hope you find something soon

xx

Thanks, although I have started to enjoy being a bludger, although not unfortunately a 'dole' bludger!

I did my 'hard yards' back in the 80's and 90's when I worked 60-70 hour weeks and did my BA part time at UNSW as well.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have got to say you are right, it is hard work making friends as you do have to make an effort here whereas in the Uk you have made friends through school/work etc and here you are starting from complete scratch which feels a bit false! I have met mainly English people through advertising on here and have been very lucky to meet some nice people. I have also met a lady on a day when I felt confident enough to go up to her at my daughters surf club and say "Hello". As it happened it turned out the lady was had been across here 9 years and came from about 1 hour away from where we lived in the UK!! I only have one "true"Australian friend who I have been for coffee with and that was through swimming lessons with our 3 year old and it turned out she is married to and English guy and has the same sense of humour as me! I am assuming you don't have children so I would suggest you maybe join a club of some sort or the gym and I am afraid it is all about feeling confident to make that first move and you will find if you say to someone you have just arrived over here they are usually very friendly and you could always ask them to meet up for a coffee sometime and take it from there. Good Luck

Archived