Re-registering with the NMC

blobby1000

Heading back to the UK in January and it appears both my wife and I need to re-register with the NMC (understandably seeing as we didn't pay to keep us the registration)

We have packs coming over from the NMC but just so we can stop worrying, has anyone done this?

Please tell me it's not like registering with APHRA or I may have to find a new career.

We have both been employed here as nurses and have only been here 18 months...

What do we have to do to re-register??

Thanks for your help

Hi,

My mum and I are returning to the UK early next year (after 9 1/2 years in Victoria). Mum is a nurse and her registration lapsed about 5 years ago, so she is going through the same process as you. Once you've got your pack (which took ages to arrive) there is a section that you have to fill in with your current employers which is really straightforward. The AHPRA part mum took into Melbourne personally. She was told they would complete it and forward to the NMC, at a cost of $50. They said they would inform her via email once it had been sent off to the UK. However, 3 weeks later no email has arrived and several phone calls haven't amounted to much - just keep being told they're 'dealing with it'. So...be prepared for a bit of a wait!

Emma

Heading back to the UK in January and it appears both my wife and I need to re-register with the NMC (understandably seeing as we didn't pay to keep us the registration)

We have packs coming over from the NMC but just so we can stop worrying, has anyone done this?

Please tell me it's not like registering with APHRA or I may have to find a new career.

We have both been employed here as nurses and have only been here 18 months...

What do we have to do to re-register??

Thanks for your help

Now I KNOW to keep my reg up, just in case. The idea of involving APHRA in any other aspect of my life than registering with them in the first place has me contemplating buying a stout rope! :twitcy:

Hubby in process of doing this. Had the form signed by two people and has been to APHRA office today - paid his $50 and they have sent off email. Hubby now sending off NMC forms which cost about $120.

Hi there,we just did ours last month.You need Ref1 to be signed by AHPRA and download the form Certificate of good standing in their website and pay $50.If you want the mail to be reliable and quick,it will be worth getting a prepaid international envelope from post office worth $13 and tell AHPRA you'd like to do this. I thought ours was lost as NMC sent us a letter that they haven't receive ref1 and that form. I have to chase up AHPRA & NMC if they sent it & if they got it. In the end I told AHPRA if they could resend it with the envelope provided and they agreed.It's now in the decisions panel which apparently take up to 3 months!!!Good luck with yours

My mum finally heard back from AHPRA today - they will be sending her application off to the NMC on Monday, 4 weeks after it was handed in. They have said all completed applications are sent via Registered Post and emailed a tracking number. Mum is now just waiting on the NMC to put her back on the register.

Emma

Hi, I did mine in Jan. It took longer to get re-registered than it did to get on in the first place. But not really hard just takes time, as long as you do everything you are supposed to it won't be a problem. they are only making sure you haven't done anything dodgy or been struck off somewhere.

• 2 months later...

When you contact AHPRA & do the certificate of good standing,they will sign ref1 too but make sure the part b is signed by the GP or occ health before you send it to AHPRA.Ahpra can certify your good character but not the good health.Managers are for ref2&3.Current managers & hospital are applicable for ref1 too when you're in the UK not overseas.Ours took nearly 4 months due to miscommunication

How long has it been ssince your registration lapsed?

I think because I still have all the hours required in the UK within the last three years (I only left in October 2010) that I can get my current manager to sign REF1. But it is extremely confusing and nobody at the NMC seems to have any idea what is going on.

4 years but we all have the required hours as we are still doing the same profession. Just get your pack sorted as it has an expiry date.Ref 2&3 are no problems.Me & hubby are both nurses,we both had our managers to sign ref2 & our neighbour who is a lawyer for ref3.I rang NMC before regarding ref1,the first person I spoke to said we don't need to send ref1 as we are overseas,we only need certificate of good standing from AHPRA($50)then 2 weeks later since I posted the paperwork we got a letter from NMC asking ref1 so I rang them up & told them what I was told then she said no you need your current manager to sign it with official stamp of the hospital where you're working.Then I read the guide again,we do need the registering authority to do it so we rang AHPRA again & they did it then 2 weeks later again we got a letter from NMC that we need part b of ref b to be filled in.finally got it,so much to do but once you submitted everything you'll be on the register within 4 weeks.So much time & postage wasted,we always provide AHPRA the international prepaid envelope so it will arrive in 2-5 days in uk.We are now back 3 weeks ago & loving it.We started applying whilst in oz & most employers will ask you when are you available for interview.i got a job a week after we arrive but will take time to start due to crb checks,hubby is going for 2 interviews this week,hopefully all goes well for him too.Good luck with re registration,it will be done its just so much hassle to do.

Thanks for the advice and its reassuring to hear you have got jobs back in the UK. Its all a bit confusing, I was told 2 weeks ago that my reapplication was at the "consideration" stage and then another REF1 form landed on my door mat! The problem is the NMC just pop a generic type letter on the front of it with some confusing generic instructions. It would be more helpful if they told me what they actually want. If you call them, it all depends who you speak to, and they seem to mainly just want you to get off the phone!!

I think my case is a little different as my 750 hours were completed in the UK (my registartion has only been lapsed a year) and so they dont seem to want APHRA involved. My wife only had to make a declaration and was back on within a week (but here only lapsed for 2 months). If I can avoid APHRA I will, as I need to get a job before 2047!!

Archived