Has anyone been given extra baggage allowance for a long stay 457 visa?

marieh

Hi

Just finished booking my flights with Singapore airlines. I've given 20kg allowance which I know is the norm. I've read about people getting extra allowances for permanent visa's I just wondered if anyone had been granted anything for a long stay visa? Visa expires April 2016 so I have a feeling I wont be allowed any extras. Just not looking forward to having to whittle my things down to 20kg. I am shipping things out also but no idea when that will arrive and i'm worried i'll be stuck with next to nothing for my first couple of months!

Thanks

Marie

You may get a few extra kilos as goodwill but don't count on it.

I'd air freight out the stuff you'll think you'll need. And don't forget, you can also pick up a few things clothing wise once there. Its not like you only have to live from a 20kg bag for a few months.

Guest gerry22

you have to enquire about it when flight is booked.....quantas

we got 23kg but it helped as kids get same as adults 7x of us all together.......

you can get it for long stay visa but must ask at time of booking........

Guest sadiesmum

I did read somewhere that someone got extra allowance when they pointed out they were booking a one way flight with Singapore, I will be doing the same when we make our booking.

I did read somewhere that someone got extra allowance when they pointed out they were booking a one way flight with Singapore, I will be doing the same when we make our booking.

As above Singapore Airlines usually give double baggage allowance to an unvalidated PR visa. 457 visas are not PR.

thank you for the info guys. I have emailed to ask sure they'll just say no but if you don't ask you don't get! I can just use it as a nice excuse to buy new clothes when I get there! :wink:

Thanks

Marie

457 visa is a TR visa - double baggage allowance is only given for a unvalidated PR visa.

We came out in March on Quantas and all five of us were given 40 kg - 457 visa. Not much fun for me carrying 200 kg of luggage!

thank you for the info guys. I have emailed to ask sure they'll just say no but if you don't ask you don't get! I can just use it as a nice excuse to buy new clothes when I get there! :wink:

Thanks

Marie

Not when you see the prices...:biggrin:

Guest sadiesmum
If you book via IOM, one-way ticket on 457 you will receive the 40kg allowance.

Hi Moven

Excuse my naivety, whats IOM? Is this the case with SA?

Hi,

We came over in December and booked through Air Emirates. We had to open a bank account with ANZ through them but we were going to do that anyway and we got 40kg each. Like a previous post said though that is a lot of luggage to be managing as we also had a pram with a two year old and our older daughter who is 9!! It took three trolleys and we must have been quite a sight coming through securityas the customs man helped us with one of our trolleys to the gate!!!! :wink:

Guest sadiesmum
International Organization for Migration you can book one way flights with them, which will be slightly cheaper and also get the 40kg allowance. Sa= South Australia or?

With Singapore Airlines, sorry. We are keen to go with them but the limited luggage allowance is putting us off a bit, but if we can book with IOM and get 40kg then we will do that :)

With Singapore Airlines, sorry. We are keen to go with them but the limited luggage allowance is putting us off a bit, but if we can book with IOM and get 40kg then we will do that :)

Might be Emirates, depends on who they have the arrangment with.

moven is that with Emirates or Quantas?

Email here osu@iom.int & let them know where you are flying from and they will pass you the details of your nearest office for contact.

I think they have arrangements with the various big airlines and may depend on availability for your preferred travel dates, which one you go with.

Just been checking back through my emails. I forgot I contacted IOM sometime ago following recommendation from a PIOer. IOM sent me the following in relation to some queries I had;

How much we would be charged for extra luggage? Please check with the airline on the charge for extra luggage.

How much hand luggage we are allowed each?

Economy Class passengers are permitted one (1) piece of carry-on baggage, subject to the following size and weight limitations:

Handbag: 55 cm x 38 cm x 20 cm (22” x 15” x 8”)

Weight must not exceed 7 kg (15 lb).

Separate laptop is not allowed. Laptop should be put within the hand luggage.

Whether we are able to also take 2 buggies, 2 car seats and a travel cot on board -if at cost, how much would this be?

The buggy and essential baby stuff can be taken to the cabin in addition to the allowed hand luggage. However sometimes the staff might take the buggy at the gate and put it on the hold and hand it over to the passenger on arrival.

How much your company charges to use your service?

IOM UK charge service fee for adult/child tickets (each GBP55). The quote below has already included the service fee charge.

When to fly?

An emirate is the cheapest option. July is extremely busy. Tickets are not available for the whole month July and the earliest available date in August is 5 August.

Please see below fare quote and luggage allowance. Please note that the fares are subject to availability on the day of the booking.

Flying with Emirates via Dubai:

Fare including tax and service fee: GBP650 per adult; GBP535 per child; GBP50 per infant

Baggage allowance: 40 kg per adult/child; 10kg per infant

• 3 weeks later...

We flew with singaporeairline and rang them to see if we could have double allowance with emigrating on a visa, was told yes but had to make sure each suitcases weighed 20k and no more, anyway turn up at Manchester airport only to find out that on a 457 we didn't get any extra allowance, lucky for us we weren't much over and they asked us to put the extra into our hand luggage

Archived