22yrs old and moving to north Perth alone. any tips?

Guest ridedirt1990

Guest ridedirt1990

Hi all

I am 22yrs old, male, a motorcycle mechanic and moving to Perth in June to start a new life. I am looming to be working at a dealership in joonalup so will be close to this area.

I would like to know whats there to do, decent accommodation and areas, night life and general places to visit etc.

Any pointers or tips are all welcome.

Thanks Andy

So andy, your username is ridedirt., do you do motocross?

I'm 23 and moving to perth in July, I'm shipping my crf450 out and there are plenty of motocross tracks out there dude !

Also, if you do ride motocross and you live in reading, I must know you as I'm only in Bracknell...

Guest ridedirt1990

Hey Harvey

I used to do motocross but since living in reading i havnt been able to afford to do it here. Been off the dirt for about 2yrs now. Still on road bike thou as part of my job is too ride.

Iv seen a few tracks about there and ill be working for a Honda dealership again so maybe pick up a bike once sorted. What's making you move out there then? You going out alone?

I went out there at 19 as a backpacker for a year, met a nice girl from Perth and she came to uk to live with me for 2 years, our flights are booked for 3rd July and were moving in with her parents for a few weeks but will be looking for our own place around the city i.e maylands, subiaco, Victoria park etc, you'll be about half hour from me.

I'm a roof tiler but have been around motocross bikes for years and was actually considering a job in a mx retail shop but will probably stick to roofing.

What visa have you got, are you heading out alone ?

Guest ridedirt1990

Sounds like a good setup for when you get there then. Motorcycle trade is hard to get in to but well worth a try as its a excellent industry with loads of perks as you can guess.

Important going out on a working visa as i had 4 jobs offers originaly and wanted to be able to go meet them all and chose which suited me best.i am hoping to get a sponsor once iv taken a job. Yes important going out alone. Its all be Abit of a impulse move and only been sorting it since Feb this year.

Are you going out there to stay for a long time then

Yes mate my vosa is for permenent residency. I'm moving there and hoping to stay indefinitely. Your brave heading out there on your own with the intention of staying forever. It's good your heading out on a whv to start with as alot of people stay for a year or so and decide it's not for them.

Guest ridedirt1990

Oz must be an awesome place then. How does it compare with living expenses to the UK? All i keep hearing is that its expensive in comparison and also that there ain't much for younger ppl in WA.

Im nervous but can't wait as been thinking about this for a few years now so just want to get there

Guest melanie79

best of luck with you move to perth guys! im hoping to be queensland bound some day. you best of doing it now in your early 20's. esp on whv and then if you apply for residency you have age on your side for the visa points etc & work experience! wish i had been bit more clued in when i was there on my whv in 2004 about visas etc.

Mate have a fantastic time. I came out a boy and quickly turned into a man. Traveling is def the thing to do, if you can!

Yes it is expensive here in Oz but no different to the UK. You will quickly pick it up, learn to adjust, and decide whats for you and suchlike.

All i can say abt things for young people to do is, it will be completely different than Reading! but thats the beauty, broaden your horizons, get out of your comfort zone.

safe travels & have a good one!

Guest ridedirt1990

Along as i can live comfortably then Im not worried about prices as such. It is the change of life and to see something new which is why Im going then. Need to be able to look back and say i done it rather then be sad i missed the chance.

Along as i can live comfortably then Im not worried about prices as such. It is the change of life and to see something new which is why Im going then. Need to be able to look back and say i done it rather then be sad i missed the chance.

Loads of Brits do I an go all over the world at your age backpacking, just go for I and try India next if you ever get the chance.

Being honest mate if you love the buzz and nightlife of a major city you might find Perth a bit boring, try living in Northbridge as it is the liveliest place in Perth.

Funny old thing, Perthbum trolling again.

I moved out here from West London and fail to see why Perth still has this 'boring' tag; it is lazy and inaccurate blogging. The nightlife has increased ten-fold over the past 8 or so years with numerous new bars and restaurants springing up. Even many of the older pubs have been re-furbished bringing in younger clientele.

Give it a try!

There's some decent stuff going on in Perth andy, ill tell you some of the stuff I'm going to get into...

There's a race track up near joondalup called barbagello raceway, they race v8's, motorcycles, go karts and there's a motocross track too. There's a place called lancalin about an hour and a half up north, there's massive sand dunes there that you can sand board down and ride mx on them.

There's rottnest Island which is a short ferry away with plenty of snorkelling to be done and there's also some history there with ww2.

There are some great restaurants/shops/bars in beaufort street just north of the city centre.

There's a place called hovia falls about 40 minutes east of the city, in the winter it becomes a beautiful natural waterfall with heaps of kangaroos around there.

On Sunday there is a big drinking session down at the cottesloe bar on cottesloe beach, it's brilliant.

Tuesday is "cheap arse tuesdays" at the cinemas.

Summertime brings loads of festivals down by the swan river in the city!

If you want, when I get out there in 7 weeks I'll show you around.

Jack

Guest ridedirt1990
Loads of Brits do I an go all over the world at your age backpacking, just go for I and try India next if you ever get the chance.

iv got a long list of places to visit all over the world, just a case of making it there and making sure i have plenty of time at each destination

Guest ridedirt1990
There's some decent stuff going on in Perth andy, ill tell you some of the stuff I'm going to get into...

There's a race track up near joondalup called barbagello raceway, they race v8's, motorcycles, go karts and there's a motocross track too. There's a place called lancalin about an hour and a half up north, there's massive sand dunes there that you can sand board down and ride mx on them.

There's rottnest Island which is a short ferry away with plenty of snorkelling to be done and there's also some history there with ww2.

There are some great restaurants/shops/bars in beaufort street just north of the city centre.

There's a place called hovia falls about 40 minutes east of the city, in the winter it becomes a beautiful natural waterfall with heaps of kangaroos around there.

On Sunday there is a big drinking session down at the cottesloe bar on cottesloe beach, it's brilliant.

Tuesday is "cheap arse tuesdays" at the cinemas.

Summertime brings loads of festivals down by the swan river in the city!

If you want, when I get out there in 7 weeks I'll show you around.

Jack

the sand dunes for mx have sold it for me haha. i know the plae will only be as good as i make it, i think im just not trying to get too hyped for it as still got over a month till im there.

yeah it would be good being shown some deent places, im sure i could return the favour with discounted honda parts

I wouldn't live in Joondalup - I'd get further to the city. Places like Leederville, Mt Lawley, Cottesloe (if you can afford it!!), Subiaco, Fremantle have all got a buzz about them. Try and get a house share through gumtree.com. There a weekly, well known 'things to do' list that everyone under 30 knows who is a local! Sunday session at Cottelsoe being one! Leederville hotel is another night (Wednesday I think), and the Beaufort hotel in Mt Lawley another night. Northbridge is the restaurnat/night club centre - lots of backpackers round there so attracts a young crowd.

Hello mate, my advice echos what a lot of others have said, as a single bloke I think you will find Joondalup boring, I lived not far from there with a wife and kids and we were bored out of our brains after 6 months. I also live just down the road from you now and knowing how busy Reading is im sure you will find Joondalup to be a sleepy village. Live as close to the city as you can then spread your wings, spend 6 months in Perth then move over to the east coast, its very different and has areas more akin to what your after and where you have come from. Good luck, you will have a great time!

• 1 year later...

Archived