857 Visa my experience (for those thinking of leaving before the two years)

thanks nicolac...so..as soon as I finish my 2 years, like the next week I can just give notice to my boss and leave?!?how long do you have to do until you reach the 2 years?

Pretty much! In fact I have to give 4 weeks notice, so I'll hand my notice in 4 weeks before my 2 years is up and leave on the day!! That's of course assuming I'm financially able to do that and have another job lined up...... but I can dream! :wink:

I have 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days and 8 hours to go! Not that I'm counting or anything...

Pretty much! In fact I have to give 4 weeks notice, so I'll hand my notice in 4 weeks before my 2 years is up and leave on the day!! That's of course assuming I'm financially able to do that and have another job lined up...... but I can dream! :wink:

I have 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days and 8 hours to go! Not that I'm counting or anything...

I understand.. I m looking forward to the end as well... thanks so much for the info, this is exactly the answer that I hoped for! enjoy your last 11 moths... I hope they will go very fast...:)

• 3 weeks later...

ok so my situation has changed slightly again.

ive been working for the company for 2 years now just over 1 year on an 857. i think i have now lost my mind as ive started talking to the walls for company.

so i think i have to leave as soon as i can before i end up in a funny farm! ive read my visa grant letter and on MY letter it doesnt say anything about 2 years and also when i log in to VEVO it just says no restrictions. does this mean i can go now with out any issues?

Is this what everyone has on there visa letter?

ok so my situation has changed slightly again.

ive been working for the company for 2 years now just over 1 year on an 857. i think i have now lost my mind as ive started talking to the walls for company.

so i think i have to leave as soon as i can before i end up in a funny farm! ive read my visa grant letter and on MY letter it doesnt say anything about 2 years and also when i log in to VEVO it just says no restrictions. does this mean i can go now with out any issues?

Is this what everyone has on there visa letter?

My VEVO doesn't show any restrictions either, but doesn't mean anything.

Are you sure you're letter mentions nothing about remaining with your employer for 2 years or face visa cancellation? It's a pretty key condition of the 857 visa!!

This is from my visa grant letter:

Your Obligations

You must meet the following obligations.

 commence employment within six months of arriving in Australia or within six months of the visa grant if they are already in Australia

 remain employed in the nominated position in the regional area for at least two years.

Your visa may be cancelled if you do not comply with these obligations to complete the two year contract with the employer. If you have any enquiries regarding your obligations please contact 131 881 or write to:

Permanent Sponsored Entry Unit

RSMS Cancellation Unit

Department of Immigration and Citizenship GPO Box 241

Melbourne VIC 3001

Hi nicolac34 and blossom79 yeah my letter doesnt mention any restrictions other than you can leave the country and return as often as you like for 5 years after that you have to get an RRV. thats the only thing i can see on the letter. does yours state the 2 year clause? wonder what this means. Im only looking at the visa grant letter from immi nothing else

It does state to inform and changes in circumstances

VEVO is useful if you start new employment so that the new employer can see you work status

It's odd, you'd think they would have standadised wording for these things, mine doesn't mention 'obligations', just this:

Visa validity

Please note that under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme if your employment ceases within 2 years from approval, your visa may be subject to cancellation.

I am by no means the expert here I just had to make the move. I played it all by the book as best I could and it worked out for the best. It's not a clear system but it seems to favour those who make the effort. I am enjoying life a hell of a lot more so go for it.

Thanks for the help! I have got in contact with a migration agent to enquire on if they can help and im going to go from there. Even though i would love to go into work and hand my notice in tomorrow im going to resist and get some expert advise first. Good to see there could be a way out of this situation even that makes me feel a bit better!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old one but ...

I am thinking of leaving recently, and read loads of thread related to 857/187 conditions, leaving concern etc etc.

The best way is, of course, to stay with the current sponsor employer, as I have only two months to go to finish off my two years.

Anyway, many people, who actually did leave from your employer before 2 years, contacted to immi before/during their leave. So I checked immi website how I can contact them. I think that they used to have an e-mail form on their website, but not anymore. "how can i communicate with immi?" explains "how I get in touch from immi" ... I don't want to make a call as I have to wait for hours and as you know, I can't get clear answer (I would get info which I already got from immi).

I want to discuss about my personal situation, whether my case would be considered "genuine effort".

So... should I contact to my case officer? Or any other ways I can talk with immi departments? (I am scared a bit to talk about my situation to CO as it is actually "intention" to leave (breach one of condition of RSMS).

From all your reading you must realise if you call immi or speak to your case officer they will not give you a straight answer. Even if they say 'yes that's a genuine reason' it makes absolutely no difference as it's up to the investigations unit (or whoever they are) to decide that.

With 2 months to go can you not just wait it out? Otherwise with 2 months to go I hardly think anyone will care.

If you started the process of looking for another job and then served any notice period out you'd probably make it past 2 months anyway.

Archived