Children better off in Oz?

VERYSTORMY

Guest The Ropey HOFF

That's what I said, it's almost half in Australia, far better for children looking for a good well paid career, which leads to a good life, future prospects, etc, etc.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well for my son I would definatly say that his little world has been enriched both materially and emotionally. For a start, in the UK we could not afford for me not to work so he was in school, childcare throughout the day and in school holidays. He had a very tired Mum and Dad for a few hours every night before he went to bed in his box room which just about fitted a single bed and nothing else. Weekends were spent catching up on housework, while my OH worked his second job, so he spent precious quality time with either of us.

Here, he has me home 24/7, I take him to school I pick him up I help at the school. I am there every single holiday and to help with homework and spend all my spare time with him. Secondly, he has his own queen sized bedroom with a double bed and sole use of the bathroom. He also has a second room with his games all in there. He has a swimming pool in the garden and here he has a Father who works nights, so he sees precious little of him during the week, but as my OH only does 4 nights a week, he is around Fridays Saturdays and Sundays and most of Monday. He is starting a private school in February, which we didnt stand a snowballs chance in hell of affording in the UK. Is his life better, I really really beleive his is blessed yes!:cool:

Guest guest17301
hi, My parents and i moved to Australia (Perth) when i was 11 from England. Now 15, i currently attend Woodvale secondary college (year 10) and have a part time job at McDonald's (crew trainer). To be quite honest i don't think it matters what country you live in you still get the same education,housing, government issues, idiots on the road etc. Parents who believe that their children will be safer in Australia are quite frankly delusional ! You get crime, violence, gangs, drugs ect everywhere you go...Just because it's sunny in Australia doesn't mean Children/ Teens are going to be immune from all these things. Australia isnt for everybody ! :) In my opinion Children don't really care where they live...the only thing i miss about England is friends and family but i made new friends and family come over and visit so that's not a problem.

Thats my girl xx

Can we get back to the original thread , and let's talk about the experiences of kids that have lived here !!

It seems that every thread on here seems to be hijacked with uk is better than aus , or vice versa !

People planning on living in aus, want to know about how people feel about it, not statistics , they can go find them anywhere on the Internet !

I hoped that people would bother to read courtneys post, and see the view of a girl who has lived here from 11 to 15 years old. I don't think anyone can or should top that post with statistics !

Guest Gypsie Girl

My husband is in the building trade, we lived in Brisbane and he worked in Cairns for 2 years only coming home 1 a month for 2 days. That was hard. Just depends on your job etc as to you having more time at home and to spend time with the family.

When I lived in Spain, the climate was just much nicer to do things outside. Football on the beach, sailing, surfing, swimming, camping, climbing. Just a lot more pleasant in a nice climate.

Saying that I grew up in one of the most Northerly places in the UK - in the shetland islands. When I was a kid i was permanently outside in all weather roaming around the countryside.

Admittedly not much to do, but up to the age of say 12 was great.

Australia I hope will be grreat for outdoor activities which i could not do as a kid(not without freezing to death)

Guest WaltzingBack

I grew up in Oz until 15 then moved to the UK. There was no comparison. For this reason my UK born kids will have the childhood I had - dirt, freedom, loud and boisterous play, ad-hoc play, bravado and glorious Vitamin D :)

I grew up in Oz until 15 then moved to the UK. There was no comparison. For this reason my UK born kids will have the childhood I had - dirt, freedom, loud and boisterous play, ad-hoc play, bravado and glorious Vitamin D :)

Nice one mate, so you are staying in the UK

When I lived in Spain, the climate was just much nicer to do things outside. Football on the beach, sailing, surfing, swimming, camping, climbing. Just a lot more pleasant in a nice climate.

Saying that I grew up in one of the most Northerly places in the UK - in the shetland islands. When I was a kid i was permanently outside in all weather roaming around the countryside.

Admittedly not much to do, but up to the age of say 12 was great.

Australia I hope will be grreat for outdoor activities which i could not do as a kid(not without freezing to death)

Nice one, country makes no difference f you are a kid with spirit

What sort of childhood is that if you don't mind me asking?

Guest WaltzingBack

Not at all H. Grew up in Sydney, lots of camping, beaches, athletics at National level, great schooling with many weeks/ends away to consolidate learning. Kids playing in the street, wandering off and having adventures....never watching much tv etc

Not at all H. Grew up in Sydney, lots of camping, beaches, athletics at National level, great schooling with many weeks/ends away to consolidate learning. Kids playing in the street, wandering off and having adventures....never watching much tv etc

Big deal, and you could not do that in the uk? I will say again...I bet I had a more adventurus childhood than you.

Have to say I have been to my kids new schools this week , and without doubt much better than the school in oz. of course all schools are different and I'm very fortunate to be in an area that have the best schools in the county !

If you manage all that for your kids, fair play.

TBH i think a lot of those things are dependent on which suburb/town youre in as well as the attitude of the parents, rather than being country specific.

But I do agree that sounds like an ideal childhood, one which I hope my kids will have too (not so fussed at the athletics though!)

I think as parents we can get our children to do too much, I know a child who did after school activities every night, was in shows/activities almost every weekend and school holidays were filled with activities everyday. At 9 the child was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, they spent time in hospital, had to see a psychologist and were off school for over a year. Like everything else in life - we need to have balance. Sometimes I think as parents we feel our children are missing out if they're not doing something - when actually we may be pushing them to do things.

I think as parents we can get our children to do too much, I know a child who did after school activities every night, was in shows/activities almost every weekend and school holidays were filled with activities everyday. At 9 the child was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, they spent time in hospital, had to see a psychologist and were off school for over a year. Like everything else in life - we need to have balance. Sometimes I think as parents we feel our children are missing out if they're not doing something - when actually we may be pushing them to do things.

Very good point, I think a lot of parents want ther children to have what they missed out on....sometimes I bet the kid does not want it.

Totally agree ali, there are kids in my sons prep class, some still only 5, doing this sort of thing. I think its actually quite cruel. At that age kids need lots of down time. Its holidays here and the weather has been awful, so our 2 have spent most of it in their pyjamas playing lego!

Archived