Children better off in Oz?

VERYSTORMY

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF
I know I never moved here for the bloody climate!

Just another bonus Australia hoffers you Eh, gal ? Lol

Lots of people talking about climate and up till now I haven't thrown my view in even though I originated this thread. So hear goes. I rarely if ever see kids outside in Oz. No where near as much as I did in the UK.

When I was growing up I was constantly outdoors and maybe that has rubbed off on me now as love being out. Used to spend every one of the summer holidays with mates in the woods camping from age 10.

In winter, growing up in the north we had regular snow and I would be out till I was blue. But having a great time sledging and being general nuisance.

Here I know a lot of parent are rightly worried about skin cancer and kids are kept in. So in this respect, for me, Oz loses.

This comment is made a lot, and I wonder whether its a WA thing? Plenty of kids out and about in the parks and playgrounds here.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Most kids in the uk rarely play out for at least six months of the winter they are Xbox crazy and most stay in their bedrooms and currently we have had several weeks of rainy soggy days and they haven't been out much then either around where we are, some hardy souls will still go out rain or ...... Cold, can't say shine, it's rarely ever does that, lol.

Think this answer is a little simplistic...

What about culture, the way people interact with each other.

House sizes, road sizes, parking, services, attitude, respect, openness ...........

Most of those can be answered by going somewhere else in the UK. You don't need to go to the other side of the world. Nope - it's sunshine verus family I'm afraid.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Most of those can be answered by going somewhere else in the UK. You don't need to go to the other side of the world. Nope - it's sunshine verus family I'm afraid.

If I agreed with what you are saying, which I don't, not trying to be funny with you, but you would be away from your family just the same, yes you would be in the same country, but you would hardly see them, personally the sunshine does it for me, family can always come and visit and have a fantastic holiday at the same time, to hit the fantastic beaches and swim in the warm azure seas and ...... Lay in the hot sunshine.

If I agreed with what you are saying, which I don't, not trying to be funny with you, but you would be away from your family just the same, yes you would be in the same country, but you would hardly see them, personally the sunshine does it for me, family can always come and visit and have a fantastic holiday at the same time, to hit the fantastic beaches and swim in the warm azure seas and ...... Lay in the hot sunshine.

You don't understand. Sunshine is great. It's wonderful. But if the pull from family lost is too strong, you won't be happy. Kids need an extended family. It centres them.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
You don't understand. Sunshine is great. It's wonderful. But if the pull from family lost is too strong, you won't be happy. Kids need an extended family. It centres them.

I understand that but your suggestion that you can move somewhere else here in the uk, will still remove the kids from seeing their families, they will see them slightly more than they would in Australia, but rarely never the less.

Guest Andy
Most kids in the uk rarely play out for at least six months of the winter they are Xbox crazy and most stay in their bedrooms and currently we have had several weeks of rainy soggy days and they haven't been out much then either around where we are, some hardy souls will still go out rain or ...... Cold, can't say shine, it's rarely ever does that, lol.
#

I think it depends on the kids hoff, my kids are normally to be found outside even in the winter to be honest as they hate being cooped up, they have all the game stations but after 20 minutes get bored and are itching to do something active which i am very grateful for, the rain is a pain in the arse but generally you can still do stuff.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
#

I think it depends on the kids hoff, my kids are normally to be found outside even in the winter to be honest as they hate being cooped up, they have all the game stations but after 20 minutes get bored and are itching to do something active which i am very grateful for, the rain is a pain in the arse but generally you can still do stuff.

I think the true realities are that when it's really hot in Australia, they probably don't play out as much and when the weathers cold and horrible in the uk they don't play out as much either, but I agree it's down to the kids, my daughter stays in all the time, my son plays golf ..... Weather permitting.

Absolute rubbish. What about those that don't have close families? What about those that came for a better life/work balance? What about those in jobs that have to be in a specific area, not everyone is a sparky, plumber etc who can work anywhere. You are generalising as are most of the people on this thread.

Absolute rubbish. What about those that don't have close families? What about those that came for a better life/work balance? What about those in jobs that have to be in a specific area, not everyone is a sparky, plumber etc who can work anywhere. You are generalising as are most of the people on this thread.

Nothing wrong with plumbers!!!!!!!!

It was a fairly general question.

Those without close family tend to do better in Oz. The kids and everyone isn't missing out as much.

But you don't have to move to the other side of the world to improve your life. You tend to do that for the sunshine. Australia has the same youth probs as the UK. Drugs, drink, teen suicides. The only real difference is that the weather is better.

Maybe moving countries and making a fresh start is a great incentive to look at life differently, and that includes finding new ways to enjoy it. But if kids are bored in the UK I don’t think its always down to the weather or lack of opportunities. The culture, lifestyle, climate and opportunities are different, but in both countries an exciting and interesting life is something you have to go out and find for yourself.

And before any one else says it - no I don’t think its more difficult, better or worse in the UK. it’s just different.

Talking about the golf, i am a member of a club, i just joined this year and the last 3 weekends i have been rained hoff, its not looking good this weekend either, i played in the hottest weather there was in Australia, over 35 degrees and yes it was hot, but i bloody loved it and at least ....... i could play and plan to play without being rained off.

seriously Hoff ......are you still here ......put your energies into leaving .......put the time and effort into getting your exit sorted ......then you can come on here telling us how great oz is .......instead of moaning about your life in the uk .....PUT UP OR SHUT UP .......

Guest The Ropey HOFF
seriously Hoff ......are you still here ......put your energies into leaving .......put the time and effort into getting your exit sorted ......then you can come on here telling us how great oz is .......instead of moaning about your life in the uk .....PUT UP OR SHUT UP .......

Oh yawn, whatever.

That's a bit harsh mate, the bloke aint payed a round of golf for 17 years because of the **** weather.

Tbh i dont think he actually moans about his life that much.. he's the first to admit hes lucky here with a good job, nice house, family etc and i've saw him sticking up for the UK quite a few times. He moans about the weather.... a lot! :laugh: but i think a lot of us do.

If you dont like his posts i think theres a ignore button, i think im going to have to start using it.

Oh yawn, whatever.

Iam officially calling you out , here live on PIO .......cut the crap .......stop dreaming .

You keep posting all this anti U.K stuff ...........and that you cant wait to leave

LETS HAVE IT .......BE A MAN ......

WALK THE WALK .......DONT TALK THE TALK

This is " Hoff to Oz " ......Day 1 .....

Australia awaits

Iam officially calling you out , here live on PIO .......cut the crap .......stop dreaming .

You keep posting all this anti U.K stuff ...........and that you cant wait to leave

LETS HAVE IT .......BE A MAN ......

WALK THE WALK .......DONT TALK THE TALK

This is " Hoff to Oz " ......Day 1 .....

Australia awaits

guess everyone should be able to say what they want....

Ive only ever see Hoff counter some negative Australia views... seems fair to me

Archived