Children better off in Oz?

VERYSTORMY

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Moving away from your family, even in the same country means most families hardly see each other, I know this from experience, it might not be as bad emigrating, but barely much better, you might have good intentions to start with, but over time, meet ups get less and less, so the effect is very similar so to me there's little difference ..... Just my opinion.

Apart from the lack of azure sea, amazing beaches and hot sun?

Guest Levimouse
3 years f drought with hardley any rain, then a few weeks if rain and every one is building an ark.

Have you actually been living in the UK for the last 3 years? Hardly any rain?

Guest Shell15
Yep, dried up rivers and streams, hose pipe bans and month and months without rain.

Your a wind up pb, behave ;)

I think being in Oz has been great for the kids. The great weather, quiet streets and parks absolutely everywhere dotted around the suburbs. We have a huge park just at the end of our road and my son has spent most of the last 2 years climbing trees and wading through the pond collecting all sorts of creatures. We are also 10 mins walk from the beach so my daughter spends her weekends down there a lot of the time with her mates. Jumping off the jetty's and swimming out to the pontoon. It's been pretty idylic for them. However, the schools they are at are seriously lacking. There seems to have been very little funding. There's hardly any technology in the schools. At my daughters high school it seems like having a calculator is the height of technology!! I don't like the way they don't put very much emphasis on learning geography or history. I think the education here is definately a backward step.

So, yes we are moving back to the UK with the cold rainy days, hideous traffic and the muddy parks full of dog poo but life's what you make it. I've loved our time in Australia, it's been a great experience. Glad we did it, but it's time to go home now.

As for the weather:laugh: PB is spot on....weve had the dryest, and warmest Autumn, winter and spring for years...hence the hose pipe ban....oh yeh I remember now......:yes:
Easily forgot with ths rain ain't it pal

Guest Ptp113
Your a wind up pb, behave ;)

They had a program on about a month back showing all the dried up streams etc. Some devastated residents showing one they had restocked, and there was no water at all. Odd for the U.K but true

Moving away from your family, even in the same country means most families hardly see each other, I know this from experience, it might not be as bad emigrating, but barely much better, you might have good intentions to start with, but over time, meet ups get less and less, so the effect is very similar so to me there's little difference ..... Just my opinion.

The difference is that if I'd get that dreaded phone call, I'd have to find $2000 to fly back, not to mention my OH would having to take time off from work to look after a toddler, because there are absolutely no other family members here to help out at all.

Equally, if something serious would happen to me or my hubby for example, neither my parents nor my in-laws or any other family could afford to or would be in a position to fly out to help at the drop of a hat.

Its at those times, you realise how far away you really are. We lost my DH grandma, my grandad and my uncle unexpectedly last year, then another uncle just passed away last week :( also unexpected.

We have missed all of these family times to say goodbye.

My mum and brother has had surgery as have I this year and I have been through a horrid health worry...

Its hard when things like this happen and its so far away and costly.

The difference is that if I'd get that dreaded phone call, I'd have to find $2000 to fly back, not to mention my OH would having to take time off from work to look after a toddler, because there are absolutely no other family members here to help out at all.

Equally, if something serious would happen to me or my hubby for example, neither my parents nor my in-laws or any other family could afford to or would be in a position to fly out to help at the drop of a hat.

We never return for funerals, the view in our family is that its a waste of money, good Scot my oh and his family, do not waste money. When my oh father died, he was killed, just retired and was a lolypop man, someone came over the hill and wiped him out. His mother did not let my oh's brother know in NZ and his sister who was in the Phillapines at that time. Told them in a letter three weeks later.

Back to the op subject of children. I am of the view that if people are good parents and involved in their children's lives it makes no difference whether you live in the middle of the Sahara Desert, Aus or UK, children just need to know they are loved and supported wherever they are.

Bottom line its mum and dad, other family can be important but never as important as mum and dad.

this is the uk, this is our weather, why the hell keep going on and on and on about it, it gets boring, if people hate it do much they know wat they can do.

Perhaps its just ONE of the reasons why some of us believe its a better life for kids in Australia ............

With regards to family, it will very much depend on individual circumstances. Some families will be closer and the extended family play a bigger part in lives of children.

Ok, what about culture. Oz is incredibly isolated. The UK has Europe on it's doorstep. This, personally I think is a huge plus for the UK. Especially for those coming to Perth.

People always mention this, but from my experience, not many actually take advantage of our close proximity to the rest of Europe.....

I live just outside London, but I hardly ever make the effort to go into London for a show or a meal..... where as people coming from Australia get a whole lot done in a few weeks holiday.

Personally I guess im lucky again,

Already left all my family in South Africa and

mainly interested in traveling in Asia, not Europe..

Australia here I come !! whoohoo !!!

They had a program on about a month back showing all the dried up streams etc. Some devastated residents showing one they had restocked, and there was no water at all. Odd for the U.K but true

Yes but not once have I thought, I know, ill go for a swim in the creek...... (not because they were dried up :P) its different !!! might not be raining but its still different

if the UK was a few degrees C warmer, it would be wonderful.. unfortunately its not..

its still a beautiful country though, and has alot going for it.

Where ever you live, make it work.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

No one would disagree or dispute what you are saying, the discussion is about family ties and how it effects children and I am saying that if you move 100 or 200 miles away from your family, but still live in the UK it will be almost the same effect on your kids as if you emigrated to Australia, they won't see their family either way. My post you have copied is talking about that, so your family wouldn't be there to help you if your toddler was poorly and you had to have time off work.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Yes but not once have I thought, I know, ill go for a swim in the creek...... (not because they were dried up :P) its different !!! might not be raining but its still different

if the UK was a few degrees C warmer, it would be wonderful.. unfortunately its not..

its still a beautiful country though, and has alot going for it.

Where ever you live, make it work.

Everyone knows there was a shortage of water, but there was no sunny hot weather either, it's a strange phenomenom the uk must be the only place in the world, where it hardly rained for a long time, but it only had average summer temperatures of just 13.6 degrees which it had last year and this year has been abysmal, it is a beautiful country, but the weather in general isn't warm, but overcast and cloudy.

After spending a long hot summer in Australia, I have gone back with a very different view on the weather. It really doesn't bother me so much now, and it's not the be all and end all ! It would be nice to have more hot days admittedly , but there is more to life than just the weather !

Everyone knows there was a shortage of water, but there was no sunny hot weather either, it's a strange phenomenom the uk must be the only place in the world, where it hardly rained for a long time, but it only had average summer temperatures of just 13.6 degrees which it had last year and this year has been abysmal, it is a beautiful country, but the weather in general isn't warm, but overcast and cloudy.

I know it's really hard to understand if you haven't experienced it, but you can get sick of summer. The weather in Perth is just so boring. 33 degress and blue skys day after frigging day. By the end of summer it is kind of nice to have the odd day when the water falls from the sky.

Guest Ptp113
After spending a long hot summer in Australia, I have gone back with a very different view on the weather. It really doesn't bother me so much now, and it's not the be all and end all ! It would be nice to have more hot days admittedly , but there is more to life than just the weather !

Give us a poms definition of 'a long hot summer'?

People always mention this, but from my experience, not many actually take advantage of our close proximity to the rest of Europe.....

I live just outside London, but I hardly ever make the effort to go into London for a show or a meal..... where as people coming from Australia get a whole lot done in a few weeks holiday.

Personally I guess im lucky again,

Already left all my family in South Africa and

mainly interested in traveling in Asia, not Europe..

Australia here I come !! whoohoo !!!

Dome asia and have lived and worked in parts of it. Still like it. But it's a bit hey oh. Though the point really is that Asia isn't really on your doorstep the same way Europe is for the UK. Heck, a weeks holiday in Thailand costs about the same as it does from the uk because we pay more for flights and things.

Archived