Children better off in Oz?

VERYSTORMY

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I know it's really hard to understand if you haven't experienced it, but you can get sick of summer. The weather in Perth is just so boring. 33 degress and blue skys day after frigging day. By the end of summer it is kind of nice to have the odd day when the water falls from the sky.

I can imagine, but after half a century of not having a summer, apart from 1976, I think I would like to experience it, but we might not go and never get the chance, it's up to the wife and kids, but our visa lasts quite awhile yet, so fingers crossed.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its at those times, you realise how far away you really are. We lost my DH grandma, my grandad and my uncle unexpectedly last year, then another uncle just passed away last week :( also unexpected.

We have missed all of these family times to say goodbye.

My mum and brother has had surgery as have I this year and I have been through a horrid health worry...

Its hard when things like this happen and its so far away and costly.

This is something a lot of people don't appreciate. I only did last year when I learned early one morning my daughter had died suddenly in the UK. Then this year we got a call to say my wife's father had taken very I'll and only had a couple of days to live. Both times we were lucky as we had the funds to get back quickly. In my wife's case she was able to just make it. It really is something people need to think about.

This is something a lot of people don't appreciate. I only did last year when I learned early one morning my daughter had died suddenly in the UK. Then this year we got a call to say my wife's father had taken very I'll and only had a couple of days to live. Both times we were lucky as we had the funds to get back quickly. In my wife's case she was able to just make it. It really is something people need to think about.

It's something that I really worry about and especially as my grandad hasnt got the best of health at the moment but if I think about it too much then i'll just be too scared to go and thats not what my family would want. Just have to make sure there is money in the bank for emergency flights if that time comes.

I've had several family members saying they wouldnt want me spending money on flights for a funeral - same as what Petals said. Dont think I could do that, i'd feel so guilty Wow this is a cheery subject for a weekend!

Regarding the europe thing - Sometimes I say that aswell but then realise when do i actually take advantage of being so close!? it was only this year that we decided to go a last minute break, we've never done it before. The rest of our holidays have been booking far in advance. Maybe i'll regret not going more but then again not that many people can afford to go a lot or able to take the time off work

We got 'the call' when my Mum died and got on a flight within 24 hours. You pay through the nose of course but it only happens once or twice in most peoples' lifetimes. It is traumatic and awful but so it would be if she had died when we were in the UK- and with transport it can take several hours even over there. We also got the midnight call when my Dad was dying and that was even worse- unexpected and he only lived very near us in Australia. Sometimes I think that long plane journey kind of helps you to accept things in a weird way.

Where was that?

Not where i live in Perth. I have lived in Perth 7 years and I can't remember a summer that went from October to March. I also can count on 1 hand the number of 45 degree days in that time. I tried to search for the historic stats about weather but I am dreadful with google so didn't come up with anything.

In Melbourne it is friggin' freezin' just now. Lovely sunshine today but not warm. Mind you, I prefer the cold winters- gives you something to look forward to in Summer and you can't beat a lovely wood fire.

I love the seasons we get in the uk, especially the white cold winters we get.

Moving away from your family, even in the same country means most families hardly see each other, I know this from experience, it might not be as bad emigrating, but barely much better, you might have good intentions to start with, but over time, meet ups get less and less, so the effect is very similar so to me there's little difference ..... Just my opinion.

"No one would disagree or dispute what you are saying, the discussion is about family ties and how it effects children and I am saying that if you move 100 or 200 miles away from your family, but still live in the UK it will be almost the same effect on your kids as if you emigrated to Australia, they won't see their family either way. My post you have copied is talking about that, so your family wouldn't be there to help you if your toddler was poorly and you had to have time off work."

That isn’t my experience tbh. We live 200 miles or so from nearest family, my brother lives more than 10,000 miles - and over the years we have seen much more of the family we left behind. We don’t have to think twice about accepting invitations to family events, still go back for visits, regularly have visitors and have fairly easily been able to call on family to help out with the occasional crisis. I agree that it depends on the people involved but, fwiw, in my experience distance is significant when it comes to how often you see family, and it can impact on relationships.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
have not found anywhere like this in the uk yet....

Beautiful that is, we loved it swimming in the warm open air pools.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Come on ropes, time you came over here- don't 'overthink' it- just do it

We can't emigrate until my son finishes his A levels next year, so the earliest we can go is next summer, but the jobs we are after, don't become available until the end of 2013, or the beginning of 2014. I want to get there more than anyone, but the wife is 50/50 and I have no idea what will happen, but ...... I have it good here, apart from having to suffer the crappy weather, lol.

Beautiful that is, we loved it swimming in the warm open air pools.

yeah i know hoff .......went there in 87 ........whitsundays .......cairns ........airlie beach ................FANTASTIC HOLIDAY DESTINATION ...........live there .....nah

If you live in airlie beach , iam sure you have a fantastic life .......but what else is there ......sorry need more than that ......EUROPE FOR ME

Not where i live in Perth. I have lived in Perth 7 years and I can't remember a summer that went from October to March. I also can count on 1 hand the number of 45 degree days in that time. I tried to search for the historic stats about weather but I am dreadful with google so didn't come up with anything.

Coming from uk it felt like summer was oct to march, You might think of it differently being there a bit longer !

Guest sh7t man no way

are adults better of in oz is the question--i think the kids will adapt--so long as mum,and dad are happy

No one would disagree or dispute what you are saying, the discussion is about family ties and how it effects children and I am saying that if you move 100 or 200 miles away from your family, but still live in the UK it will be almost the same effect on your kids as if you emigrated to Australia, they won't see their family either way. My post you have copied is talking about that, so your family wouldn't be there to help you if your toddler was poorly and you had to have time off work.

You've totally missed the point, but never mind, shall we just leave it like that.

.... who was talking about a poorly toddler anyway????:confused:

Not another frigging weather stats please!!

Does it matter anyway, it's too damn hot in Perth from November to March, don't need a weather stat to tell me that.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
yeah i know hoff .......went there in 87 ........whitsundays .......cairns ........airlie beach ................FANTASTIC HOLIDAY DESTINATION ...........live there .....nah

If you live in airlie beach , iam sure you have a fantastic life .......but what else is there ......sorry need more than that ......EUROPE FOR ME

I was on about open air pools in general, believe it or not there's more than one in Australia, I made a comment on it looking nice thats all.

Archived