The Spirit of Australia

blobby1000

Anyone else had experiences with Australias favourite airline?

I booked four seats on a flight from Alice Springs to Melbourne on the 2nd December at $199 each ($796 in total).

This is part of our grand tour before we depart back to the UK and we decided to change the flights and head to Brisbane instead and potter down to Sydney.

The flights to Brisbane on the same day were $199 (which, in my world is equal to the original $199 flights).

I read through the terms and conditions and it stated the new flights had to be equal to our greater in value than the originals and a cancellation fee of $65 would apply.

I cancelled the melbourne flights and redeemed my voucher against the Brisbane flights expected to pay an excess of $260.

I was shocked to see that the $199 flights had increased to $305 (in spite of the $199 still being available for purchase without a voucher).

I rang the airline in question and was informed by an obnoxious lady that the Brisbane $199 flights were in fact cheaper than the Melbourne $199 because the tax component in the Brisbane flight was greater and hence the flight inself was cheaper and therefore I was not allowed to book it.

I asked where on the website was this explained and she said it was illegal to advertise the amount of tax in the flights.

It was therefore impossible for any customer to know that they could not redeem the voucher against the seemingly same priced fare.

Had I gone ahead and booked the Brisbane flight it would have cost an extra $684. I was therefore being refunded just $112 of my original fare.

I had my original flights reinstated and now instead of jumping on a flight to Brisbane we need to fly to Melbourne and pay for a flight back up to Brisbane.

Talk about customer service!!!!!!!

Archived