5 months to go!

blobby1000

So after what will be 2 years here we will be arriving back in the UK on December 21st.

In November we will be shipping our stuff back and heading off on a 6 week holiday to Fremantle, Perth, Kalbarri, Denham, Coral Bay, Cervantes, Alice Springs, Uluru, Brisbane, Springbrook National Park, Byron Bay, Bellingen, Sydney, Bali and Kaula Lumper before arriving home to start again in Cornwall!!

Its not worked out for us and I have (and will continue to have) plenty to offer on the subject, but in an odd sort of way we dont regret coming, it has taught us so much about life and about ourselves.....its been an experience!!!

Guest Guest16631

........good luck to you and yours............your trip before you return sounds exiting............what a wonderful end to your time here...........tink x

Guest Tamjb

Good luck, you've picked a great place in the UK to come back to :-) Enjoy that long holiday too, sounds great.

So after what will be 2 years here we will be arriving back in the UK on December 21st.

In November we will be shipping our stuff back and heading off on a 6 week holiday to Fremantle, Perth, Kalbarri, Denham, Coral Bay, Cervantes, Alice Springs, Uluru, Brisbane, Springbrook National Park, Byron Bay, Bellingen, Sydney, Bali and Kaula Lumper before arriving home to start again in Cornwall!!

Its not worked out for us and I have (and will continue to have) plenty to offer on the subject, but in an odd sort of way we dont regret coming, it has taught us so much about life and about ourselves.....its been an experience!!!

You'll probably be asking the shipping company to arrange unloading your container at first port of call enroute to ship other way back to Fremantle after experiencing the charms of WA.

If you dont mind me asking why has it not worked out, we are moving to Perth Easter 2013 , I am interested in heaing everyones experiences good and bad. thanks. Ali

Guest trasi
Home for Christmas, you lucky devil.

just what i was gonna say....what a lovely time to come back and what a fab end of Oz trip :cute:

People like you have so much to offer this forum, as been there, done it and i hope you continue to post......

Have a safe trip and welcome back to blighty x

Good luck, when I go back it'll be Cornwall or Devon too! And have a great holiday too, what a great idea when all your stuff has been packed up! Campervan or hotels?

Good one, we can have a beer and a moan hahahaha

Our kids are 5 and 2 so we thought it was a bit early for campervans, our youngest wouldnt sleep at all!! We are renting apartments all over the place as it works out a lot cheaper than hotels. The place we are most looking forward to is Coral Bay, 1100km north of Perth and we are renting a house on the beach for a week and then sriving all the way back to Perth again!! Got various flights booked to, so will be ending on a real high which will be good for us!!

just what i was gonna say....what a lovely time to come back and what a fab end of Oz trip :cute:

People like you have so much to offer this forum, as been there, done it and i hope you continue to post......

Have a safe trip and welcome back to blighty x

Thanks, its much appreciated. Im sure I have gone overboard at times with negativity but taken with a pinch of salt its more useful to listen to someone that is here than just live in denial!

I hope it works out for you when you get here if thats your plan. We are all different, but we just hit a brick wall really and cant really see the positives anymore (they are here though.....!)

If you dont mind me asking why has it not worked out, we are moving to Perth Easter 2013 , I am interested in heaing everyones experiences good and bad. thanks. Ali

No problem at all....its a long story!!!

Our biggest problem was that we didnt want to come in the first place. That would put anyone at a disadvantage. Of course, we did want to come at one time or we would not have bothered, but the nearer it came to getting on the plane the more we realised where our homes (and hearts) were!! The goodbyes were utterly horrendous, I just cant overstate how bad it was, and we just thought "why the hell are we doing this!!"

But we put it all down to natural cold feet and thought we would regret it if we backed out at the last minute (we probably would have).

Add to this the fact I was offered a job in Melbourne and then it turned out to be 30km north in one of the worst drug fuelled crime ridden areas in Australia....and the sponser of my 457 insisted aggressively that we live near the hospital (and we were too scared to argue to much....Im annoyed about this now WHY DID WE NOT TELL HIM WHERE TO GO!)...we struggled to get a rental due to having a dog and ended up in a horrible house in a not terribly exciting suburb.....

We did our best and lasted out the 12 month contract and got residency which meant we could move and work elsewhere....so we moved to Torquay (70 odd miles from Melbourne). Its beautiful here but we have been unable to get jobs nearby (we are nurses....we thought it would be easy) so we have had to lease a car which costs $400 a fortnight and me and my wife both drive 1.5 hours (at least) to work each day. We cant afford child care (its very very pricey) so I work 5 days and my wife works 2 days (so no days off all together as a family). The average working day is 12 hours with the commute and after 9 months of doing this we are both exhausted.......

The rental companies treat tenants very badly, nothing gets fixed and renting after 12 years of owning property is tough.

House are expensive to buy, and you need $20k for stamp duty and a complulsary insurance of $20k if you dont have a 20% deposit (we dont, as the average house price is pushing half a million.

We have made a few friends but its been very very hard going and they are not like the friends back home (which is understandable as we have not been here long).

The summer is too hot for us (this is a ridiculous complaint......but we did underestimate the temperatures, you cany go swimming everyday when you drive 3 hours to and from work and work 8 hours)

We got to a point where we just felt there was no point in fighting it anymore!

I would NEVER tell anyone not to come....we have had bad luck but you make your own luck in life but we just cant be arsed anymore

After the freezing night last night - I'm heartened to think that summer is going to be hot.....

We've been in Torquay 5 weeks now and slowly starting to settle but there are rumblings about hubbys work closing down by 2016 so we may be back faster than we were anticipating too - though never to lovely Cornwall as no work for hubby;we'd be back off to the industrial Midlands.

I wish you the best of luck back in Blighty and hope that the rest of your time here is happy x

All the best for the future, hope everything works out well for you.

Just read your post and wanted to give you both a :hug:

The trip sounds like a grand idea, hope you enjoy every minute of it ....... :cool: fantastic idea and a really good way of seeing OZ before you head back ......

Thanks for all the kind messages and remember its better to regret something you have done than something you have not done! I dont want to put anyone off coming here, its a real adventure and has had a big impact on our lives and we have grown as people and as a family!!

No problem at all....its a long story!!!

Our biggest problem was that we didnt want to come in the first place. That would put anyone at a disadvantage. Of course, we did want to come at one time or we would not have bothered, but the nearer it came to getting on the plane the more we realised where our homes (and hearts) were!! The goodbyes were utterly horrendous, I just cant overstate how bad it was, and we just thought "why the hell are we doing this!!"

But we put it all down to natural cold feet and thought we would regret it if we backed out at the last minute (we probably would have).

Add to this the fact I was offered a job in Melbourne and then it turned out to be 30km north in one of the worst drug fuelled crime ridden areas in Australia....and the sponser of my 457 insisted aggressively that we live near the hospital (and we were too scared to argue to much....Im annoyed about this now WHY DID WE NOT TELL HIM WHERE TO GO!)...we struggled to get a rental due to having a dog and ended up in a horrible house in a not terribly exciting suburb.....

We did our best and lasted out the 12 month contract and got residency which meant we could move and work elsewhere....so we moved to Torquay (70 odd miles from Melbourne). Its beautiful here but we have been unable to get jobs nearby (we are nurses....we thought it would be easy) so we have had to lease a car which costs $400 a fortnight and me and my wife both drive 1.5 hours (at least) to work each day. We cant afford child care (its very very pricey) so I work 5 days and my wife works 2 days (so no days off all together as a family). The average working day is 12 hours with the commute and after 9 months of doing this we are both exhausted.......

The rental companies treat tenants very badly, nothing gets fixed and renting after 12 years of owning property is tough.

House are expensive to buy, and you need $20k for stamp duty and a complulsary insurance of $20k if you dont have a 20% deposit (we dont, as the average house price is pushing half a million.

We have made a few friends but its been very very hard going and they are not like the friends back home (which is understandable as we have not been here long).

The summer is too hot for us (this is a ridiculous complaint......but we did underestimate the temperatures, you cany go swimming everyday when you drive 3 hours to and from work and work 8 hours)

We got to a point where we just felt there was no point in fighting it anymore!

I would NEVER tell anyone not to come....we have had bad luck but you make your own luck in life but we just cant be arsed anymore

i can really relate to that blobby. After a while and after being kicked in the guts repeatedly you have to ask whats the point? It does sound like youve been unlucky, but also that there wasnt enough here to make you keep on trying. I think thats fair enough. Its not an endurance competition, its your life and that of your kids.

A word of advice though, maybe write down now a list of all the things that are pissing you off here, so that when youre back in blighty, you can refer back to this list and immediately forget any idea of coming back.

Good luck.

pretty much the same for us although we've been here 4 n half years...lots of highs and lows...visited a lot of the places your going bryon bay being the highlight...but i have to say everyplace is virtually the same as each other...we get back to yorkshire in oct for a very cold and exiting xmas...

Hi Blooby,

Havn't been on here much of late as been a bit busy.

I remember talking to you before on here, and am so pleased for you now you are heading back, and on a high too by the sounds of it. Your up and coming road trip sounds fab. WA is lovely in my opinion...

I just wanted to offer a bit of reassurance really re the job situation back here. I too am an RMN and have found no problem at all finding a job back here (can't remember when I spoke to you last on here). I had a number of interviews and was lucky enough to be offered various posts in a variety of settings (the first one I left as I didn't like it), but I then got a nice little community job, mon-fri 9-5, not mega bucks, but so far so good and that's all that matters for now. Yeah the NHS is in a bit of a pickle to put it mildly, but we are a tough bunch and will get through it and if not, well I'll cross that bridge when I get to it or go and work in a bloody flower shop or something.

Anyways, I feel lucky to have a permant job, plus I could get back all my leave which I had previously accrued - 33 days plus all the bank hols. I can't complain.

You and yours will be fine, I'm sure.

Keep us posted and all the very best to you all. I can so relate.... :-))))))

i can really relate to that blobby. After a while and after being kicked in the guts repeatedly you have to ask whats the point? It does sound like youve been unlucky, but also that there wasnt enough here to make you keep on trying. I think thats fair enough. Its not an endurance competition, its your life and that of your kids.

A word of advice though, maybe write down now a list of all the things that are pissing you off here, so that when youre back in blighty, you can refer back to this list and immediately forget any idea of coming back.

Good luck.

Thats a really good idea thanks.

Yes we have had some bad luck, but we cant really blame that, it doesnt help, but as you say, its just not good enough for us to keep trying.

We hear many people say things like "6 years and I aint been home once" its not for me to judge peoples happiness but they generally look bloody miserable when they say it and seem to think they 6 years is an achievement.....is is an achievment to get here but if it continues to be an endless challenge then, to be honest, Im too old for that!!

Archived