AHPRA - What to do when you get down under!

marieh

Hi everyone

Just a quick question. I'm arriving in Brisbane at the end of this month I just wondered what I actually need to do RE AHPRA when I get there? I'm just not sure what paperwork I need to take to the offices and also do I need to make an appointment or just turn up? Are you fully registered straight away or is there a delay?

thanks

Marie

somebody posted it here in PIO but can't find it anymore.. anyway, good thing thing I have copied and saved it and wanna share it with you guys.. hope this helps.. big credits to the one who originally posted it..

When presenting at an AHPRA office to activate your registration you will need to bring:

ID (I brought an EU passport and UK driving licence)

The original letter posted to you stating you were eligible to register

Proof of Australian Visa (a printout of visa grant email is acceptable)

Proof of Address (bank statements,council tax bills THEY STRONGLY PREFER AN OZ ADDRESS-I GOT MY EMPLOYER

TO WRITE ME A LETTER STATING I WOULD BE STAYING AT HOSPITAL ACCOMMODATION)

Proof of Australian Employment(Job Offer Letter)

If you are missing any of these things they will NOT activate your registration.

Lastly, be warned. It takes up to 10 days before they actually activate your registration. Additionally, if you

present at an office other than where you applied they will post off the documents you present to your application

office (I presented at Brisbane, they had to post to Sydney).

From the AHPRA website:

Following assessment the applicant will be advised if they are eligible for registration. Those eligible applicants who only provided the minimum identity requirements, and/or medical practitioners applying for limited registration (see below) will only be granted registration upon personal presentation at an AHPRA Office with the following evidence:

If arrived in Australia within the previous 6 weeks:

o original foreign passport or travel document with current Australian visa and proof of date of arrival (e.g. entry stamp); plus

o evidence of their current residential address, an original signed statement from a prospective employer/sponsor verifying the identity of the applicant OR an original offer of employment.

Thanks guys!

I'm a bit worried now as I may not have an address yet? I also don't know anyone in oz. I'm starting work 3 weeks after I arrive so really need to get it done ASAP. I may email AHPRA and ask what people do in these situations. I can't be the only one in this situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just a quick update on AHPRA registration though its not yet completed. My wife visited AHPRA Sydney office (initial application lodged with Perth office) on last Friday, 10 August the day we landed in. First we went to Bank to activate the account and also requested to issue bank statement with our address on it. Provided friends address though we are not living. After bank rushed to AHPRA office and lady at the counter photocopied passport, visa copy, eligibility letter and took original bank statement.

On Monday, 13 August received email from case officer at Perth to pay for the registration fee. They must have tried with the credit card details provided on the application form but we have closed that credit card account. So replied back with new card details. They also advised that we can pay at AHPRA office in person. But preferred to email direct so CO can process the payment. On Tuesday emailed case officer to confirm the payment receipt and received reply confirming the payment has been taken and the case has been escalated to the manager for final approval. Unfortunately CO is now on one month annual leave so haven't received further update. Will wait until tomorrow and phone them but hoping as the case has been escalated to the manager for final approval hopefully receive registration email by Friday. Wife's orientation is starting on next Monday, 20 August so she should be registered before Monday. Fingers crossed.

......mansawant

Hi all,

Just a quick update on AHPRA registration though its not yet completed. My wife visited AHPRA Sydney office (initial application lodged with Perth office) on last Friday, 10 August the day we landed in. First we went to Bank to activate the account and also requested to issue bank statement with our address on it. Provided friends address though we are not living. After bank rushed to AHPRA office and lady at the counter photocopied passport, visa copy, eligibility letter and took original bank statement.

On Monday, 13 August received email from case officer at Perth to pay for the registration fee. They must have tried with the credit card details provided on the application form but we have closed that credit card account. So replied back with new card details. They also advised that we can pay at AHPRA office in person. But preferred to email direct so CO can process the payment. On Tuesday emailed case officer to confirm the payment receipt and received reply confirming the payment has been taken and the case has been escalated to the manager for final approval. Unfortunately CO is now on one month annual leave so haven't received further update. Will wait until tomorrow and phone them but hoping as the case has been escalated to the manager for final approval hopefully receive registration email by Friday. Wife's orientation is starting on next Monday, 20 August so she should be registered before Monday. Fingers crossed.

......mansawant

Welldone mansawant. Quite informative

Hi All, I am arriving in Sydney in 9 weeks and I too have to appear at the AHPRA office. I don't have a job yet so I could be screwed! I have a friend who I will be using as a correspondence address but the other thing you can do Mariehis get a PO Box. Don't know how to do that I am afraid but that was what the girl at Centrelink told me as I was enquiring about my kids and getting registered with them and getting a tax file number etc. We will be staying in a holiday home for 2 weeks (maybe more) on arrival until we get a house sorted out. I am also moving to Newcastle so I will have to commute to the Sydney office if they need to see me again! Probably need a house before I can get a job, need a job before I can get a house! Hey ho, it'll be fine! No wucking forries! Best of luck to you all! S x

Guest Francine
Hi everyone

Just a quick question. I'm arriving in Brisbane at the end of this month I just wondered what I actually need to do RE AHPRA when I get there? I'm just not sure what paperwork I need to take to the offices and also do I need to make an appointment or just turn up? Are you fully registered straight away or is there a delay?

thanks

Marie

I know I am going to sound really stupid here, but what is AHPRA? Is it to do with Medicare?

Guest Francine
Hi Francine, AHPRA is the Nursing registration board. They also are the boards for most other health care professions like drs etc.

Thanks for that. I was starting to think there was a major thing I hadn't realised I had to do when we arrive in Perth in 5 weeks!!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask, is it ok to submit nursing registraion application with AHPRA in Sydney via one of my relative. I mean I would post the form and required docs to my relative and they would give it in personally as they dont live far. This is to aviod anyting missing etc?? or is it safe to send it as recorded delivery etc. from UK

I am not appling for limited regitration and we have all required docs etc so I guess I wont be needing to present at AHPRA office, or do I?

• 2 months later...

Archived