Footscray

blobby1000

I thought I had seen it all in my time in Australia but today I had a training day in Footscray!!

What is this suburb all about? Anyone live there? Whats your experience?

Grafitti everywhere, drunks with brown plastic bags at 8am on the street, down and outs with tattooed faces, police all around, security camaras, litter all over the streets and everyone looks like their on heroin!!!

Ha ha ha

When we first arrived 4 yrs ago an Aussie friend took us there for Vietnamise food, the Food was great but I kept calling it Footscary!

As with a lot of suburbs there are some nice streets and I believe they have been spending a lot of money trying to tart it up but it is not somewhere I go nor would I live there.

I am sure it was a shock if you are used to Torquay!!

The city is the city, Footscray is an area of difference, there are those with nothing and those with a lot. Its a popular place to live for a lot of the professionals who want to live close to the CBD. The thing is if you want to live in the city, have to take what goes with it, unfortunately we do have people with addiction, unemployment, disability who have been tipped onto the streets by progressive governments who have failed to see that these people need a lot of help and funds.

In most of the transport hub areas of Melbourne you will find the same thing.

Instead of bemoaning the suburb have a bit of sympathy and be pleased you are where you are in life.

We have a lot of graffiti where I live, what does that tell you, kids have money to buy paint and are bored out of their brain, not always kids, just displaced youth.

I'm not here to sympathise with people that sit around all day getting p!ssed while I go to work.

Im a mental health nurse, I understand addiction (I hope), I understand illness, and I also have the right to wonder why it would cost $700,000 to buy a house in Footscray.. Petals why do you have to defend every "attack" on Australia? I'm only saying Footscray is horrible....Im not here to change the world, Im not here to improve Footscray. I came here for a better life and I would not be finding that in Footscray!!!

Ha ha ha

When we first arrived 4 yrs ago an Aussie friend took us there for Vietnamise food, the Food was great but I kept calling it Footscary!

As with a lot of suburbs there are some nice streets and I believe they have been spending a lot of money trying to tart it up but it is not somewhere I go nor would I live there.

I am sure it was a shock if you are used to Torquay!!

Ha! Yeah.

However we saw the crap side of life living in the Northern suburbs last year and I see it every day working in Epping.

I'm not here to sympathise with people that sit around all day getting p!ssed while I go to work.

Im a mental health nurse, I understand addiction (I hope), I understand illness, and I also have the right to wonder why it would cost $700,000 to buy a house in Footscray.. Petals why do you have to defend every "attack" on Australia? I'm only saying Footscray is horrible....Im not here to change the world, Im not here to improve Footscray. I came here for a better life and I would not be finding that in Footscray!!!

Hahahaha do you realise how pompus you sound?

well im offended to be in the same profession. You clearly dont understand addiction or mental illness. If anyone of my staff held those kind of opinion, id be sending them back to school to find a different career.

As a mental health nurse you surely would know addiction and mental health go hand in hand. You must also be aware that both can be found in every street in every suburb. Its actually quite hard to maintain an addiction in australia. The price of drugs are huge here. So most of those people you saw out and about were probably grafting to find money to pay for their habit. Its also those people that are keeping you in a job.

Theres one thing that i have found by being here in Australia, Dont judge a book by its cover. Footscray is just like any other city suburb. Its actually quite a quirky place if you give it time.

Hahahaha do you realise how pompus you sound?

well im offended to be in the same profession. You clearly dont understand addiction or mental illness. If anyone of my staff held those kind of opinion, id be sending them back to school to find a different career.

As a mental health nurse you surely would know addiction and mental health go hand in hand. You must also be aware that both can be found in every street in every suburb. Its actually quite hard to maintain an addiction in australia. The price of drugs are huge here. So most of those people you saw out and about were probably grafting to find money to pay for their habit. Its also those people that are keeping you in a job.

Theres one thing that i have found by being here in Australia, Dont judge a book by its cover. Footscray is just like any other city suburb. Its actually quite a quirky place if you give it time.

Surely you could not send your staff back to school to find a different career. I would think the unions would have something to say about that! (especially here!). Would you be paying for "your staffs" new course being that it is you that are sending them back?

You sound like a very harsh manager if you can end someones career because they dont like Footscray.

They were not my service users. What the hell are you talking about. They were drunk blokes sat on the side of the street at 8 in the morning. You seem to think the fact I would not particularly like to move to the other side of the world and bring my kids up in an area where it costs $700,000 to live with a load of drunks to mean that I dont respect mental health patients?

I dont understand the connection.

Guest The Pom Queen

You will find Petals doesn't defend every attack on Australia, she is very open about negative aspects but can also see the positives.

Exactly my point........

I think, Ratchet, the problem you have is that you are presuming that people that drink out of paper bags at 8am must have mental health problems.

In fact, they may just be drunks.

And I have the right to say that I would rather not move to the other side of the world to bring my kids up in Footscray, especially as I would have to pay $700,000 for a house.

What you are doing is prescribing to the American model of considering that substance misuse is an illness, whereas it is in fact a behaviour. It is a behaviour that can be changed. It is not a mental illness per se. Now, these people may need some help and support (or they may be stuck in the pre-cpntemplative zone of the cycle of change) but either way you are basically labelling morning street drinkers as mentally ill....

This is both naive and patronising. They may be perfectly sane but just like getting hammered. You cant label them all mad.

Nor can you poor scorn on my skills as a mental health nurse when you have never even met me.

I can only presume you have been around so long in the profession that you have forgotten what it is that you are supposed to be doing.

It's a down and out area. Most houses are from the 40's and in need of repairs like some of the people, large asian community there now. For those that have seen Russel Crowe's film Romper Stomper - that's where it was filmed. It's a harmless place during the day just a weird community. This clip sums it up it in a humurous way

Guest Shell15

Never heard of a Footscray in Australia, but it sounds just like the Footscray near Bexleyheath in Kent!! Maybe that's where they got there name from?

I'm only going on a couple of visits so no expert and can understand both sides. It reminds me of areas of London especially around the East End or Essex a couple of decades back. A large multi cultural population close to the city..really I can only see it going ahead. In time the poorer will be dispersed as it becomes too expensive to rent and the area will change. I rather like it but haven't ben late at night and compared to the run down in London or other cities that I'm more used to far less density of folk on the street..which always puts me off Australian cities somewhat...Could well be a Hackney in the making.?

Going to footscray feels a bit like walking into a party you weren't invited to, and don't know anyone at. A party with smackheads.

To quote an article on abc:

Footscray in Melbourne's inner west has trumped a national survey, which found almost half of people detained by police are heroin users.
Says it all eh.

It certainly does say it all, and good to have some stats on it. My argument is why woudl anyone pay $700,000 for a falling down 1940s house in an area where are large proportion of the residents are drug addicts.

Apparently, according to Ratchet, this means I am a terrible nurse. I dont quite understand that correlation but never mind!!!

It certainly does say it all, and good to have some stats on it. My argument is why woudl anyone pay $700,000 for a falling down 1940s house in an area where are large proportion of the residents are drug addicts.

Apparently, according to Ratchet, this means I am a terrible nurse. I dont quite understand that correlation but never mind!!!

Where is this dilapidated house for 700k you keep going on about?

The median house price is 430.For 700k you should be getting something very decent not something that is falling down.

Archived