SA 'Off list' occupation query

Nick UK

Hello all!

Having had my intended route into SA turned upside down by the recent doubling of the required Designated Investment and Net Asset requirements on the investor visa class, I am now back to square one and looking at VISA 190 or 489 where one is sponsored by a State - in my case I am choosing SA due to having friends there. I am in the process of ensuring I satisfy the VETASSESS skill assessment by gaining an equivalent qualification to AQF III - which I currently do not hold - but I will be the time I am ready to move. Having been uplifted in the thought that once I tick this box, which I have to say is somewhat ridiculous given I have 10 years experience in my occupation, I could then be able to make an application which stood a chance of success. Only then to discover...

...whilst my occupation, Real Estate Salesperson, is on the CSOL (relevant for State sponsored applications) and also on the 'off list' of SA 2012 list, my problem is that it states the 'off list' is for applicants who have studied in Australia which I have not. It seems whatever route I choose I am shot down again! Does anyone have any experience of 'off list' applications and just how much discretion SA give with regard to the Australian study factor? It does also state that each application will be made on a 'case by case' basis so I thought I would check the forum to see if anyone had any information and/or experience of this.

Thank you!

In my experience Migration Agents are only concerned with stringing you along and taking your money rather than telling you the facts upfront- they rarely seem to be well informed until after you've paid a considerable sum of money.

Unfortunately are you correct, SA have confirmed they will not waive this criteria however idiotic it may seem. Why they would regard a 35 year old professional with 10 years experience in their occupation as being more valuable to the State if they had studied in SA at some point in their life heaven knows. Unless they change this bizarre criteria of 'off list' applications or my occupation goes 'on list' then I won't be eligible to emigrate to SA which is a little gutting! I have checked and WA seem to be more welcoming and less silly about their criteria so that might be my only option. I gather Perth is quite nice so not end of the world.

Thank you for your reply.

Archived