Good Morning

Petals

Good morning everyone, I am just sat on the terrace enjoying my first cup of tea in a beautiful China mug .... the birds are busy tweeting, the sun is shining and I think it is going to be a beautiful warm day.

We have nothing planned for today, so will just take it as it comes, maybe take the dog to the beach of just stay in the garden .. reading and relaxing .. no housework planned for me today yippee ... DH has said he is going to mow the grass.

Have a lovely day everyone, just off to make another cuppa, need 2 to get me going :wink: then going to take a long and relaxing pamper in the shower, OH I love my shower time :hug:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are spending our last day in NZ sat on our bums in our hotel room! Sad eh. But we have no car and by the airport so not near any shops or attractions. currently listening to music and waiting for the washing to be finished in the communal laundry room - don't want to give my nan a load when we first arrive! lol

We are spending our last day in NZ sat on our bums in our hotel room! Sad eh. But we have no car and by the airport so not near any shops or attractions. currently listening to music and waiting for the washing to be finished in the communal laundry room - don't want to give my nan a load when we first arrive! lol

Just relax .... and enjoy the hotel room, and your final few hours in NZ :hug: safe flight home tomorrow, will be thinking of you both ..... x x

Guest AKA63029

Well it's my fifth morning back here, looking out over the rain forest.

No job yet, but that will come, awaiting the arrival of Ruth, set up my bank account, got my TFN, 23 CV's sent out, (which is half the rain forest I'm looking at,:laugh:)

Could I be happier, I doubt it. :yes:

We're back home (out for dinner last night 'up the mountain' and ended up staying at Mum & Dad's).

Satch is currently gnawing on a bone on the back verandah, Jon's pottering around doing something or other and I'm about to pick a menu for the week so we're slightly more organised than last week.....

Oh, and I reckon I might finally get around to preserving some lemons today, and make some bread.

Still need to put away the clean washing from yesterday - Jon hasn't noticed it's still there yet, but if he does it might be a touch of the grumpy times :) After all there's only so much I can blame on the fruit loop :)

[quote name=JoandJon;1935930641

Oh' date=' and I reckon I might finally get around to preserving some lemons today,

Way to go! At $4 a pop it's best to preserve 'em in case they go up to $8 :wink:

PS. Do you know how to preserve bananas?

We're back home (out for dinner last night 'up the mountain' and ended up staying at Mum & Dad's).

Satch is currently gnawing on a bone on the back verandah, Jon's pottering around doing something or other and I'm about to pick a menu for the week so we're slightly more organised than last week.....

Oh, and I reckon I might finally get around to preserving some lemons today, and make some bread.

Still need to put away the clean washing from yesterday - Jon hasn't noticed it's still there yet, but if he does it might be a touch of the grumpy times :) After all there's only so much I can blame on the fruit loop :)

We have a lemon tree covered as well and two lime trees. I started making pomanders (well I have made two, :skeptical: perhaps I better make some more.

Has anyone preserved lemons in salt, I thought about it, thought again, got a big glass jar so its feasible. Um.

At least the oranges can be squeezed.

Guest guest17301

Well its not good here today, storm predicted, no walking, no siitting outside....well I might make a batch of soup and have a chicken to cook for dinner....I guess its a day indoors then....don't like them too much tbh....

Sunday - pouring down in Perth today. Open day at the University of Western Australia today - they got 25,000 people round last year, think the rain might put them off. Open day at WAAPA (WA Academy of Performing Arts) too - where Hugh Jackman trained. Such a shame that it's peeing down. Might make soup too Fiona and watch Olympics.

We have a lemon tree covered as well and two lime trees. I started making pomanders (well I have made two, :skeptical: perhaps I better make some more.

Has anyone preserved lemons in salt, I thought about it, thought again, got a big glass jar so its feasible. Um.

At least the oranges can be squeezed.

That's how we preserve them - really is dead easy:

Traditional method - (needs to mature at least 1 month before using)

250g coarse salt

10 thick skinned lemons, scrubbed & quartered

1 bay leaf (I usually chuck in a few)

2-3 cloves (ish)

1 cinnamon stick (break it up a bit)

extra lemon juice

Scatter a couple of spoons of the salt over the base of a 1L sterilised preserving jar. Tip the lemons into a big bowl with the remaining salt and 'massage vigorously' and mix around. Pack them into the jar and insert the bits of bay, cloves and cinnamon as you go along.

Press down pretty hard to squeeze out some juice. Spoon any remaining salt mixture from the bowl over the top. Top jar up with extra juice if required.

(If a wedge of lemon isn't covered by the juice it will develop some white mould - not harmful, but doesn't look great!)

Clean off the neck of the jar and cap it tightly. Leave in a cool spot (not the fridge) and mature. Once you've opened it, keep them in the fridge - so long as you keep them covered by the juice they'll last for ages and ages and ages and ages.

'Quick' method (needs to mature for at least 1 week before using)

lemons (scrubbed & quartered), rough kitchen salt, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick, lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil

Put the quartered lemons into a plastic bag and freeze at least 4 hrs (but not until they're totally solid).

Scatter ~1cm of salt in the base of preserving jar(s) and layer lemons and more salt, pressing down as you go (with the odd spice as you go along).

Finish with a layer of salt and top up with juice to cover. Press down to mush it all together.

Top with a layer of oil (I usually skip this, but the recipe says....)

clean the jar, seal and leave to mature as above (you can use them after a week, but they get better with time!)

Not sure if you can do it with limes - but if you've got them I reckon it's worth a shot :)

Archived