Leaving credit card in Australia?

Guest MrPaulJames

To be fair to Kev and Blue,Proviews comment could be taken either way couldnt they?

IE it wasnt "helpful" as such,as Blue said,and it "could" be taken as "here we go another one fleeing their debts" kind of thing?

But as Kev said it "could" just be Proview saying "here we go again,a debt thread,theres gonna be murder"?

So a bit of a throwaway comment,not worth arguing/falling out over anyway............

Right,im off for cans for the footy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am talking from the uk so can only give advise from uk law's but i suspect it's pretty much the same all over.

If you owed me money i'm not sure of the minimum figure (i think about a grand) i could apply to bankrupt you.

The only difference is if you apply yourself you have to pay and if you creditor applies they have to pay

Well, I really did think it was the same all over. I'm posting from the United States where no one has the right to "bankrupt" you. Filing for bankruptcy is a very personal thing that only the consumer can do if he or she chooses to do so. I think it's a terrible thing to do to someone who genuinely can't pay. But I guess now I'm understanding why the US is called "the land of the free".

To be fair to Kev and Blue,Proviews comment could be taken either way couldnt they?

IE it wasnt "helpful" as such,as Blue said,and it "could" be taken as "here we go another one fleeing their debts" kind of thing?

But as Kev said it "could" just be Proview saying "here we go again,a debt thread,theres gonna be murder"?

So a bit of a throwaway comment,not worth arguing/falling out over anyway............

Right,im off for cans for the footy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"here we go again,a debt thread,theres gonna be murder"? correct

Andy this is the silly judgemental remark....why would somebody come on a thread, not post any advice but simply make that comment?????? Trolling springs to mind or am I missing something???

You already know what my thoughts are on these topics, (Here we go again.........watch this thread grow and grow!)

I wouldn't worry too much about them chasing the debt from Australia, the only problem I can see is if you want to return to Australia, then it will catch up with you.

As far as bankruptcy goes, yes creditors can petition you into bankruptcy, but it does not happen that much. Most people who file bankruptcy in Australia do so voluntarily.

Bankruptcy law in Australia is based on British law, just like the UK and Canada. US bankruptcy law is a completly different kettle of fish.

Oh and btw, I have 21 years of working as administrator in Insolvency, and did bankruptcy work in Australia as well. Was on good terms with the Official Receiver at ITSA in Perth.

Cheers

Karen

Hi all,

I moved to Australia with my Girlfriend just over a year ago, and while here I took out a credit card, currently owing around $7,000.

However a few days ago, unexpectedly, my relationship is now over. There's nothing left for me australia and I have booked a flight home, with the little money I have, for Thursday. Right now I only want to be with my family and friends. Fair to say I'm completely devastated and my life is pretty much wrecked...

I appreciate this is a touch subject, but I have no money, no job and I will be forced to live with my parents until I can get on my feet.

My question is what are the ramifications if I leave without paying the credit, and don't make payments in the UK? Can they take legal action? Will I be hassled left right and centre?

I'm sorry for your troubles and I hope it works out well for you when you return home to those that love you. Good luck, what ever you decide. :smile:

Guest MrPaulJames

Thank you everyone who has offered me advice so far.

Please understand that I never took out the credit card with the intention of never paying it back. Recently there have been abroad weddings that we have been to which accounts for most of the cost. If I was aware my (ex) girlfriend was going to break up with me a month after those holidays I would have never bothered.

Without going through my life story, we had plans to pay it off and save to move back to the UK together, I had a 4 year sponsorship visa, so I could have stayed here more than enough time needed.

At the moment my financial is this: I'm going back to the UK with around 200$, not a lot of money, I have to find work and eventually a place to live.

If I can afford to pay of the card then of course I will, I just need to know the ramifications for THIS option.

I just phoned the bank and did a "on behalf of a friend call". They don't even know what would what happen, past legal action in Australia and selling the amount to debt collectors in AUS (I asked about UK debt collectors and they had no idea). So my bank has been of no assistance what so ever. The bank by the way is commonwealth, if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Guest MrPaulJames
Hello, sorry to hear about your dilemma, one question - who is your credit card with? It's perfectly possible to chase a debt out of jurisdiction and possibly fairly easy for them to trace you in the uk too if the bonds haven't been long broken ( and your ex is forthcoming with your address) It is however more costly for them to chase you than if you were an Oz resident but obviously if they are an international institution it may make their life easier.

Thank you for your reply, the bank is commonwealth. As I've just mentioned I've spoken to them on the phone but they were not clear at all about what actions would be taken.

Guest MrPaulJames
Well there you go a variety of differing opinions, some differing advice and a few people having an argument about trolls or something. Bet your glad you asked the question now! This forum is great for sharing experiences and some help with the form filling but anything more serious in nature.. probably not.

To be honest, I expected a far worse reaction that I received. So thank you to everyone who has obviously bitten their tongue on this matter. I'm not proud of even having to ask this question, never mind on a public forum, but to be honest I have more important things on mind at the moment than what some people on a forum might think of me.

I've been using the internet long enough to know there's always trolls....

To be honest, I expected a far worse reaction that I received. So thank you to everyone who has obviously bitten their tongue on this matter. I'm not proud of even having to ask this question, never mind on a public forum, but to be honest I have more important things on mind at the moment than what some people on a forum might think of me.

I've been using the internet long enough to know there's always trolls....

I don't think that because people may have negative view's on your situation they are particularly trolls most people will take each situation on it's own individual merit and then comment. A lot of these threads turn because of the actual situation of borrowing the money for instance as someone posted earlier someone may borrow the money because they cannot feed the kids , however in your case it seems you are a single bloke who has basically used the money to go on the lash, and now you have posted this on the forum looking for advice so you cannot complain when people say you should pay it back which in my opinion you should.

Guest GeorgeD

A few Questions for the OP...

Do you have a job in Oz currently? How easy will it be to find one in the UK once you move back...I think most people feel it is easier to get work in Oz than the UK (although it is getting harder)

Does your visa depend on your girlfriend and you being together...are you as secondary defacto applicant on her sponsored visa or do you have one of your own? I understand your relationship is over, but be careful making really big quick decisions. I don't know your full story (and don't need to), I'm just suggesting you take some time.

I don't know the answer to this question...I am just asking if anyone has any view on it...if you have a credit card (so have a line of credit some of which is unused) and basically use that line of credit to buy a one way ticket out of the jurisiction of the lender, is that a fraudulent/criminal act? I appreciate the OP didn't take out the card with the intent to not pay any of it back...but buying a one way ticket to the UK using the car and then possibly not paying it back certainly does suggest a level of intent at least when he used the credit to buy the airline ticket. In other words, would the OP have anything more serious to worry about than just owing a bank some money??

Guest GeorgeD
Too many people seem to jump on ther high horses

lets not forget what RBS is guilty off and bailed out by honest joe in the street

Too many people try and legitimise their actions by pointing out the errors of other people's ways...

I'm not on any high horse, but what on Earth has anything that RBS has ever done got to do with the OP's situation??? He has a Commonwealth Bank credit card. They gave him credit in good faith. He was fine with their arrangement and was servicing the debt. His relationship has broken down and he wants to leave Australia because of this. I don't think we can blame RBS for this, but you never know, it's amazing how people can twist situations to make it the evil bankers' faults...although the OP certainly hasn't suggested any bank got him into a financial predicament or ended his relationship. In fact, Commonwealth are no doubt paying for his airfare home via their credit card...so please enlighten us all how CBA and their honest joe in the street shareholders deserve to lose money for something RBS did? I also have a mortgage with CBA...if there were more people leaving the country with unpaid debts to them, no doubt my mortgage might get that bit more expensive. Am I supposed to be grateful for the victory of the man in the street over the bank when my bills go up? Power to the people...no thanks.

To the OP...I'd like to point out that I know you have at no point suggested leaving debt in Oz was ever your intention., or indeed that it even is at the moment. I'm just pointing out how unhelpful this particular post is by someone who seems to have an agenda agaisnt banks, which isn't really relevant to your situation at all.

Thank you everyone who has offered me advice so far.

Please understand that I never took out the credit card with the intention of never paying it back. Recently there have been abroad weddings that we have been to which accounts for most of the cost. If I was aware my (ex) girlfriend was going to break up with me a month after those holidays I would have never bothered.

Without going through my life story, we had plans to pay it off and save to move back to the UK together, I had a 4 year sponsorship visa, so I could have stayed here more than enough time needed.

At the moment my financial is this: I'm going back to the UK with around 200$, not a lot of money, I have to find work and eventually a place to live.

If I can afford to pay of the card then of course I will, I just need to know the ramifications for THIS option.

Well there is my point. I hope you dont take this the wrong way. Im not trying to "have a go" Im sure you had/have every intention of paying the money back, but I just hope youve learnt that taking a loan is not something we should be doing to ourselves !! Debt is horrible, and I cant see how a few weddings could justify taking out a loan.. If your willing to get into debt for a wedding, its not good IMHO.

Debt is serious, and the problem is we want things we CANNOT afford !

Now if you run away to England and forget about the loan you probably wont learn the lesson, so hopefully you'll take it on board. Wish you all the best mate, sorry its all a bit s**t right now for you..

I cant see why the banks should not be able to chase you for the debt. Cant they sell the debt on to UK collectors ?

Guest GeorgeD
I have no moral problem with this. As many are learning in the UK and Europe now bankers will happily make money at every bodies misery and cost.

The OP hasn't suggested for a minute that the bank has done anything wrong in giving him credit. I don't think he feels they caused him any misery, in fact they helped him to a few overseas trips he couldn't have gone on otherwise, and they certainly didn't cause his relationship to break up, bringing about this situation. They aren't the bad guys. Neither is the OP.

Well there is my point. I hope you dont take this the wrong way. Im not trying to "have a go" Im sure you had/have every intention of paying the money back, but I just hope youve learnt that taking a loan is not something we should be doing to ourselves !! Debt is horrible, and I cant see how a few weddings could justify taking out a loan.. If your willing to get into debt for a wedding, its not good IMHO.

Debt is serious, and the problem is we want things we CANNOT afford !

Now if you run away to England and forget about the loan you probably wont learn the lesson, so hopefully you'll take it on board. Wish you all the best mate, sorry its all a bit s**t right now for you..

I cant see why the banks should not be able to chase you for the debt. Cant they sell the debt on to UK collectors ?

I would have thought that there is no point selling the debt to UK collectors, because legally they cannot enforce it as the credit was taken out under Aus consumer credit law. I might be wrong though.

Guest MrPaulJames
I don't think that because people may have negative view's on your situation they are particularly trolls most people will take each situation on it's own individual merit and then comment. A lot of these threads turn because of the actual situation of borrowing the money for instance as someone posted earlier someone may borrow the money because they cannot feed the kids , however in your case it seems you are a single bloke who has basically used the money to go on the lash, and now you have posted this on the forum looking for advice so you cannot complain when people say you should pay it back which in my opinion you should.

Clearly you have not even bothered reading my post in the first place.

I was NOT single when I took out the card, it was mainly obtained to secure a better credit rating in Australia so eventually I could settle down with my now ex and purchase a house and get married. However not all plans work out, as I'm sure you must have experienced once in your life.

However yes I used some of the money to travel over seas for weddings of my girlfriends friends, very close friends. I'm sure I'm not the only person who helped a girlfriend or loved one by paying helping them pay for things like holidays.

I don't expect you to understand my situation, because in all honestly, it doesn't seem like you've even bothered reading my posts properly and you aren't offering any help except to just judge me (which you are doing incorrectly anyway).

Guest MrPaulJames

To everyone on here thank you for all the advice that you've provided.

From the sounds of it there's nothing the bank could do to me if I did bail on the debt, but I've thought it over and I don't like to leave things in a bad situation, so I will make progress to paying it off once I receive some money and start working in the UK. It will just take me longer to get on my feet.

To those who have judged me for asking a simple question, mainly Andy, I hope you never have to go through the situation I'm going through. But if you do at least you will see things from my point of view. I was NEVER a single lad on the lash spending money on stupid things. I have paid for what I needed to make my life enjoyable with my girlfriend (ex..). I do not regret spending the money. However my message to you is try to be a bit more compassionate to other people, there's enough people like you judging others for no other reason that just to make yourselves feel good, and if you feel the need to judge, at least get your information correct.

Thank you again to everyone who offered me helpful advice and your best wishes. I can assure not only have they helped me to come to a moral financial decision, but also helped me emotionally, for which I'm forever grateful.

I wish all very happy lives in Australia and wherever else your life may take you.

Guest MrPaulJames
Too many people try and legitimise their actions by pointing out the errors of other people's ways...

I'm not on any high horse, but what on Earth has anything that RBS has ever done got to do with the OP's situation??? He has a Commonwealth Bank credit card. They gave him credit in good faith. He was fine with their arrangement and was servicing the debt. His relationship has broken down and he wants to leave Australia because of this. I don't think we can blame RBS for this, but you never know, it's amazing how people can twist situations to make it the evil bankers' faults...although the OP certainly hasn't suggested any bank got him into a financial predicament or ended his relationship. In fact, Commonwealth are no doubt paying for his airfare home via their credit card...so please enlighten us all how CBA and their honest joe in the street shareholders deserve to lose money for something RBS did? I also have a mortgage with CBA...if there were more people leaving the country with unpaid debts to them, no doubt my mortgage might get that bit more expensive. Am I supposed to be grateful for the victory of the man in the street over the bank when my bills go up? Power to the people...no thanks.

To the OP...I'd like to point out that I know you have at no point suggested leaving debt in Oz was ever your intention., or indeed that it even is at the moment. I'm just pointing out how unhelpful this particular post is by someone who seems to have an agenda agaisnt banks, which isn't really relevant to your situation at all.

No worries and thanks for the post. I don't know where RBS has come into things, but that's besides the point.

I didn't actually purchase the ticket through the credit card, I had paid for with what was left of my last months pay. The remainder of that went onto the credit card, believe it or not.

Thanks mate, you could have easily been snidey in your response, I appreciate that you weren't.

"I had a 4 year sponsorship visa, so I could have stayed here more than enough time needed."

Maybe i am wrong but there might be implications of a fraudulent credit card application as from memory don't you have to be a permanent resident to qualify for a credit card not a temporary resident on a sponsorship 457 ?

So it wouldn't just be a matter of running away without paying debt.

thats true. why my policy is if i cant afford it, do without...

mortgage, business is different story than a small $7000 loan... probably for something not needed.

most people dont get a loan to pay rent or food bills

I have a ''small £5000'' loan in the UK, that I will be paying off from Oz. I got to to replace the leaking windows and doors in my house. I could afford it at the time and still can, as I have a good job. But as Pablo says, circumstances change and have been changing for many people over the last few years.

I'm not comfortable with people judging others as to why they borrow money. It doesn't really matter and it's none of anyone's business, if I borrow $7000 to buy a year's supply of bread and milk. The point is, the guy has come on here for advice, and that's what he should be getting. Not a bunch of ''told you so's''............

Guest MrPaulJames
"I had a 4 year sponsorship visa, so I could have stayed here more than enough time needed."

Maybe i am wrong but there might be implications of a fraudulent credit card application as from memory don't you have to be a permanent resident to qualify for a credit card not a temporary resident on a sponsorship 457 ?

So it wouldn't just be a matter of running away without paying debt.

I hope not, as they certainly didn't mind giving me one when I mentioned the sponsorship visa in the bank....

Hi all,

I moved to Australia with my Girlfriend just over a year ago, and while here I took out a credit card, currently owing around $7,000.

However a few days ago, unexpectedly, my relationship is now over. There's nothing left for me australia and I have booked a flight home, with the little money I have, for Thursday. Right now I only want to be with my family and friends. Fair to say I'm completely devastated and my life is pretty much wrecked...

I appreciate this is a touch subject, but I have no money, no job and I will be forced to live with my parents until I can get on my feet.

My question is what are the ramifications if I leave without paying the credit, and don't make payments in the UK? Can they take legal action? Will I be hassled left right and centre?

Whether or not you choose to honour your obligation is your choice - as is the decision to stay in, or leave, the country.

However, apart from personal ethics - as none of us know what the future holds I would ensure I found a way to repay the debt regardless of which country I was living in. It would be a pity to burn your financial bridges in Aust over a credit card debt.

Archived