Melbourne Remains World's Most Liveable City

StevieF8

See the methodology posted above. If it has access to health, transport, culture, education then anywhere will get a par score. Safe = liveable in the terms of the survey

It doesn't make somewhere the "best" place to live - but that's a subjective matter anyway. Some people like dull. I rather like Helsinki, but I wouldn't want to live there

:-)

I don't see any Australian city offer better health, transport, education or public transport than any number of European cities in Germany or France or Netherlands. Rather the opposite in fact.

As for Helsinki it is fine for what it is and I rather like Finland ....but to compare it with Stockholm or not include that city in the top ten along with Helsinki is very subjective to say the least.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wash your mouth out!

Geelong is very much a distinct entity mate, 70k from Smellbum. Personally I think its a much better place to live, particularly for young families. Much more compact. Much less up its own arse.

No one has mentioned the pretentiousness of Melburnians, you dont get any of that in Geelong.

Melbournians pretentious?!. Why, if I wasn't attending my interpretive dance and juggling class tonight I'd be putting on my best pointy shoes and Ned Kelly beard and un-following you on Twitter, Mister!

Gotta go......need a quick Rain-Forrest Alliance Skinny Machiatto before 'Clowning Intermediary' starts.........

Brisbane was number 20

The world's top 10 most liveable cities:

1. Melbourne

2. Vienna, Austria

3. Vancouver, Canada

4. Toronto, Canada

5. Calgary, Canada

5. Adelaide

7. Sydney

8. Helsinki, Finland

9. Perth

10. Auckland, New Zealand

55. London

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-14/melbourne-remains-worlds-most-liveable-city/4198294?section=sa

Wooohooo Adelaide....looking forward to that WOOOHOOO!!!!

:chatterbox::laugh:

Wash your mouth out!

Geelong is very much a distinct entity mate, 70k from Smellbum. Personally I think its a much better place to live, particularly for young families. Much more compact. Much less up its own arse.

No one has mentioned the pretentiousness of Melburnians, you dont get any of that in Geelong.

Geelong has been built up quite well over the past few years. Very nice place now indeed. Growing up in Melbourne my whole life I didn't see it until I went to Darwin and it completely changed my view of everyone in Melbourne. Just gotta see past all the crap. Most people only pretend their head is up their arse to fit it.

Whats Empangeni in kwa Zulu natal like these days? Worked in Richards bay and the scenery is to die for.

Only been to RB once ....But KwaZulu Natal countryside is akin in my mind to Scotland....Durbs sadly is rather unsafe these days.( But J-Bay is way lakker man in the other direction but if you like surfing was there for the championships many years back.....) The beach action has largely moved for safety reasons. Great beaches though. Capetown too cold to swim unless go around the coast. Capetown used to walk everywhere central never had a great problem even late at night.....For sheer natural beauty CT is hard to beat..

Geelong has been built up quite well over the past few years. Very nice place now indeed. Growing up in Melbourne my whole life I didn't see it until I went to Darwin and it completely changed my view of everyone in Melbourne. Just gotta see past all the crap. Most people only pretend their head is up their arse to fit it.

Why isn't Darwin listed? At least it is a little unique if way over priced. Should have been ahead of that cowboy rodeo bull humping town called Calgary surely?

Why isn't Darwin listed? At least it is a little unique if way over priced. Should have been ahead of that cowboy rodeo bull humping town called Calgary surely?

I'm not sure perhaps limited selection of jobs, a/c on all year around (although locals use a doona anything below a 30 degree night) and having there's no other cities within a 10 hour drive I think. Oh and the crocs! :biglaugh: Great holiday destination though to see the real Aus and great people.

Only been to RB once ....But KwaZulu Natal countryside is akin in my mind to Scotland....Durbs sadly is rather unsafe these days.( But J-Bay is way lakker man in the other direction but if you like surfing was there for the championships many years back.....) The beach action has largely moved for safety reasons. Great beaches though. Capetown too cold to swim unless go around the coast. Capetown used to walk everywhere central never had a great problem even late at night.....For sheer natural beauty CT is hard to beat..

You cannot beat signal hill for a barbie at the public bries, the view is stunning.

I'm not sure perhaps limited selection of jobs, a/c on all year around (although locals use a doona anything below a 30 degree night) and having there's no other cities within a 10 hour drive I think. Oh and the crocs! :biglaugh: Great holiday destination though to see the real Aus and great people.

Fully agree as had the best time in Darwin in OZ. There may be an arguement to lift the ban on the culling Bogans ..but the crocs and dingos are part of the natural habitat....

Indeed it is. You can't beat a South African braai in my opinion.

They would laugh at an aussie snag....borevors pap and huge steaks, loved the smoked Snoek you could buy at the roadside for a few rand and washed down with a castle or lion lager....bliss.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
All I can say is thank goodness Hoff is on holiday :laugh:

I keep looking in, lol

Me and my lad have just got back in from playing golf, I drove the first green it was 310 yards but ..... It went downhill from then on.

Melbourne number one city ........ I don't know ...... Blobby loves it there, so it must be, lol.

I don't see any Australian city offer better health, transport, education or public transport than any number of European cities in Germany or France or Netherlands. Rather the opposite in fact.

As for Helsinki it is fine for what it is and I rather like Finland ....but to compare it with Stockholm or not include that city in the top ten along with Helsinki is very subjective to say the least.

You didn't read what I posted (or, rather, you didn't read *their* methodology)

It's not a question of health, education, transport etc being "better"; If transport exists, it gets a tick....if educational establishments exist, it gets a tick......and so on.

So you then have a host of cities that all have an equal number of ticks. Then they will get ranked on the very few objective measures that appear to be in the mix - stuff like crime rate. It's not a question of anyone sitting down and judging whether they think a city is exciting, boring, interesting, visually beautiful and so on. That is why the cities that "win" are in safe, out of the way countries where risks of terror, military action, civil unrest etc are always going to be low. As I said, it originally started as a ranking of the worst cities and at that end, the measure probably tells you something. At this end it tells you very little

(eg, take access to cultural activities - it seems from the published methodology that cities will get marks for actually having art galleries, theatres and so on - but nobody is going to actually judge which city has the better, or the more vibrant arts scene. I suspect from the look of the measure as though Sydney would score the same as, say, New York on this measure. But anyone judging it subjectively would score NYC way higher on this sort of thing)

Melbournians pretentious?!. Why, if I wasn't attending my interpretive dance and juggling class tonight I'd be putting on my best pointy shoes and Ned Kelly beard and un-following you on Twitter, Mister!

Gotta go......need a quick Rain-Forrest Alliance Skinny Machiatto before 'Clowning Intermediary' starts.........

I heard on Twitter that Tarquin, your barista was rushed to The Alfred ED with 'coffee poisoning' (but also some malicious tweets by Sebastion that he collapsed in, and I quote, 'Marc Almond-esque circumstances').

How are you coping with your loss sweetie? I could set up a new FB page dedicated to finding you a new barista. I'd suggest Jayd'n from Geelong West Bean Squeeze but I want to keep him all to myself. Ciao!

You didn't read what I posted (or, rather, you didn't read *their* methodology)

It's not a question of health, education, transport etc being "better"; If transport exists, it gets a tick....if educational establishments exist, it gets a tick......and so on.

So you then have a host of cities that all have an equal number of ticks. Then they will get ranked on the very few objective measures that appear to be in the mix - stuff like crime rate. It's not a question of anyone sitting down and judging whether they think a city is exciting, boring, interesting, visually beautiful and so on. That is why the cities that "win" are in safe, out of the way countries where risks of terror, military action, civil unrest etc are always going to be low. As I said, it originally started as a ranking of the worst cities and at that end, the measure probably tells you something. At this end it tells you very little

(eg, take access to cultural activities - it seems from the published methodology that cities will get marks for actually having art galleries, theatres and so on - but nobody is going to actually judge which city has the better, or the more vibrant arts scene. I suspect from the look of the measure as though Sydney would score the same as, say, New York on this measure. But anyone judging it subjectively would score NYC way higher on this sort of thing)

Thanks for posting that, makes a lot more sense now. None of the links showed the full list so I didn't see who was at the bottom (Stevie said Dhaka was dead last.)

I remember a big hullabaloo in Nairobi in 2010 when all the expat UN workers werre getting a pay cut based on one of these surveys. I could never understand their anger; they lived in mansions in Runda or Gigiri, 5 mins drive from work in their brand new white Landcruisers, shopped at the Village Market, went to the Aga Khan Hospital (one of the very best in Africa and probably none too shabby in any world rankings) and had a choice of many excellent private schools paid for by their employer. They were all claiming it as a "hardship posting".

Guest guest71686

I've been to most cities on the list and its definately to be taken with a pince of salt ..

I mean Calgary come on i was there one february it was -35 outside everyone had to plug their cars in to stop thecoolant freezing and everywhere in the CBD was connected with tunnels and overhead inside walkways because it wasn't safe to go outside in the cold.

Vienna is very nice though, mein german ist not god enough though!

Where you going to afro?

I'm off to No 9.

I've been to Cape Town a number of times including a spell of living there.When you say Saffies move to Australia that is true though in numbers much less than Kiwis.(similar populations if taking race into account) A number of folk move to CapeTown from other regions of RSA because safety issues amoung other things.

I know folk from CT that tried WA and didn't find it to their liking at all. Far too restrictive. That part of the world has some of the most natural beauty found anywhere in the world,although I've yet to check out Rio as that may well compare.

Some of the suburbs of CapeTown would make Pepperment Grove(WA) look almost ordinary.Most of the crime is in the townships although one does need to be aware of surrondings in some areas more than others.

Jo'Burg of course is another proposition as is sadly to sad Durban where it is rather easy to come to grieve.

Cape Town is the best city I've ever been to. It's probably my girlfriends best feature (being from Cape Town :laugh:). I think I've made the mistake of using it as a benchmark for where I'd like to live though. Not many cities can live up to how outstandingly stunning it is. Visiting Cape Town on my way to Melbourne probably helped me realise how much of a bland and ordinary city Melbourne is. Melbourne should really be a German city, functional, efficient but lacking any personality.

Archived