typical vacation days

jove

Hi all, just a straightforward question. How many vacation days are typical in oz for an employee? I was told that it would be 20 days vacation but it seems a bit less then what i am used to.

Is this something that can be negotiated you reckon?

No, that's pretty much across the board standard. Everyone I know is on 20 days annual leave, but you also accrue long service leave (which you can take after 10 years service), personal leave (for stuff like boiler breakdowns, family illness) and so on

No negotiation I would expect. Many places allow you to take extra unpaid leave but you have to apply for it

Sounds about right. 20 days is about the norm but there are differences in jobs. My son is an electrician and they got 2 days a month Rostered Days Off (RDO's) that they could accrue. We get time off in lieu (TOIL) if we work any overtime or are away from home interstate.

FIFO workers get lots of time off but are away for long periods, but the money can make up for that too.

There is also long service leave. After 10 years with my company you get 3 months off. Some companies have better terms than that. I currently have 18 weeks long service leave to come sometime. Something to look forward to.

Leave entitlements are set out in either your award, or by Fair Work Australia. Four weeks for normal work hours, five weeks for shiftworkers.

My OH manages to get six weeks but that's something to do with they only take 9 hours out of the accrual and give him 12 hours off. Don't quite know how that works but on the other hand he doesn't get public holidays off.

Do you also get lots of public holidays off on full pay on top of the 29 annual leave days?

yes, the only problem with holland is if the public holiday falls on the weekend then it is not rolled on to monday, or tuesday etc...so if one year xmas is on saturday it is considered just like the weekend. This year it falls during the week so it is paid and off.

whats being discussed is paid leave...........if you want more and can afford it.

just have a nice gap between one job and the next or take unpaid leave if you want more.

Do you also get lots of public holidays off on full pay on top of the 29 annual leave days?

Yes, as confirmed by Jove public holidays are almost never quoted as part of your leave entitlement in Europe, although sometimes they are in the US

The UK norm is 25 days annual leave + publics.....lots of countries in continental Europe are even more generous - up to 32 or 33 days in some countries as per J's post (plus publics). Much of continental Europe essentially shuts down for the whole of August and at least 10 days over Christmas.

Yes, as confirmed by Jove public holidays are almost never quoted as part of your leave entitlement in Europe, although sometimes they are in the US

The UK norm is 25 days annual leave + publics.....lots of countries in continental Europe are even more generous - up to 32 or 33 days in some countries as per J's post (plus publics). Much of continental Europe essentially shuts down for the whole of August and at least 10 days over Christmas.

Cheers.

Archived