Pregnancy in Oz!

Wellers and Whitehead

We have been in Oz on a PR visa for 9mths, and was wondering how it works in Oz (Sydney) when u become pregnant with regards to work/financially etc. Currently I'm working via agencies on a casual basis, however wanting a permanent job. What would I be entitled to if I was not able to get a perm job, and if I did what would I get? I have no idea about this so any help useful. I remember reading something about you are only entitled to benefits in Oz if you have being here 2 years+, is this right? How does it work if you dont have a perm job etc?

Thanks in advance.

Anybody?

Sometimes you need to be a little patient - we are all not on here all of the time!

I dont know anything about maternity leave as I was 29 weeks pregnant when I came here so didnt work at all but I can help you with benefits. As you are PR you will qualify for Family Assistance Part A(depending on your husbands income) and Part B, maybe also some Rent Assistance. Have a look on the family assistance website and you will get all the information. You get a fortnightly payment. I stay at home just now, am looking for a part time job now but even though my OH is on a good wage we still qualify for $137 a fortnight. We dont get part A because of his income but when he was earning around $65000 I was getting something like $257 a fortnight, not quite sure cant remember but was around that. If the baby is born here you will probably also get the Baby Bonus which is around $5000. That is paid in 13 fortnightly instalments. Hope this helps

That's true Ali, but it doesn't apply to the government benefits.

Our fruit loop is due 2 weeks (yes TWO WEEKS) before I hit my 1 year work with the department :( so unfortunately I won't be getting THEIR paid maternity leave, but I can get unpaid maternity leave from them.

BUT, I can get the government maternity leave which is something ;) or I could choose to get the baby bonus ....

:)

That's true Ali, but it doesn't apply to the government benefits.

Our fruit loop is due 2 weeks (yes TWO WEEKS) before I hit my 1 year work with the department :( so unfortunately I won't be getting THEIR paid maternity leave, but I can get unpaid maternity leave from them.

BUT, I can get the government maternity leave which is something ;) or I could choose to get the baby bonus ....

:)

Congratulations by the way.. ! How does a work maternity pay vary from the gov maternity pay?

just a question, not something Im wanting to do, but my friend asked me the other day that if i was temporary visa eg tourist visa/1 year travel/work visa, and if i was pregnant and gave birth, would it give me the right to stay in Oz, as my baby would be australian?

No it would not. Nor would your child be an Aus citizen if you were in a temp visa. There is plenty of info about this on the immigration website iirc.

Also you cannot have dependants on a WHV, so not sure how having a baby while on one would affect the visa status.

Archived