Mistakes made and lessons learned

blobby1000

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest63690
Thank you to everybody.

I think it is only natural to get the wobbles whether moving from the UK or going back. Unless you are leaving Australia because you totally hate it and cry into your breakfast every day, or have been here for years and seen it all, or have some pressing health concerns/family issues that mean you have to return, I think, we would all have some uncertainty about a decision like this: What if I had done this? What if we tried that? What if I was not such a moron etc...

But we have learned a lot since we announced we were returning in March this year...

We told ourselves we were NOT going back for our friends, and we are moving to a new area 3 hours from our friends, but it has still been interesting to observe what has happened. Initially there was a massive outpouring of love and good wishes, that warmed that heart after 17 months of nobody even noticing us here. After this initial period (that lasted a few days) there has been total silence. I notice now that when I do go on facebook, the majority of people that respond to me are from Australia....yes I know, its not all about facebook, but its quite telling, in the sense, that, seriously, we are soon forgotten in the UK and we know more people here than we realise.....

When I lived in the UK I considered myself to have about 10 great friends. When I left I realised that I had 3 really really good mates and lots of other mates, but 3 proper mates.

When we announced we were coming back we quickly booked flights at the wrong time and made a mess of it. We wanted to change things and asked one of my mates if we could stay with him for a few days when we get back until our cottage in Cornwall is ready, he agreed, "you can stay as long as you like" so we changed our flights and all our plans ($1200 and endless upheaval) and he has just told us we can no longer stay with him for even a couple of days!

I then asked one of my other "3 good mates" and he was very positive about us staying with him for a couple of days. He has since totally disappeared off the radar!!

The other good mate informed me that we should be staying in Australia.

Im not being bitter. I'm just pointing out people move on. I dont think anyone owes us anything. Its a lot to ask of someone to put up a family of 4 and a dog. I'm just saying.......don't expect to return to a red carpet and brass band and a street party, people have moved on.

My Mum, although always very supportive, has expressed regret that we are coming back because it means she wont be able to visit us again (she loves coming over here!!)...in fairness she will be delighted to see us and she is letting us stay with her for 10 days when we get back....

We then asked Mrs Blobby's Mum if we could stay with her for a few days when we get back and she also refused as she has "too much stuff around the place"

We only need somewhere to stay for a few days until our Cornish Cottage is ready!!!!!

OK so I am only commenting on the negative things. But my point is that people in the UK move on, and they move on almost immediately. We should have moved on as well!

I'm not being too down on the above people, but my point is, don't expect someone to have thrown a party to welcome you home, we are more likely to receive a shrug of the shoulders and a "what did you come back here for!"

Good job we aint going back because we missed people, eh!!! Hmmmmm.

The thing is though,what a lot we have learned. As people have kindly said on here, you walk the path and react to things as they happen. We have learned so much about ourselves, about Australia and about other people, it puts us in a good position for the rest of our lives!!

Hi Blobby, I just want to post a comment re: the friend thing, just to give you some insight into how things might work for the friends. One of my dearest friends (of 30 years) is emigrating to Qld. She is so excited....talks about it constantly, but let me let you into a secret I don't think I have admitted to myself until I read you post....I AM ANGRY with her.....Now maybe this makes me a monster...not just to have wonderful feelings of positivity about her 'great and exciting' adventure, I am not sure. She babbles on about it all the time, while I sit there feeling sad, bitter and rejected. Pathetic I know. I am doing everything humanly possible to try to get my head round it. Being a member of this site is helping me more than you can imagine. But I have lost count of the number of nights I have cried myself to sleep...and if one more person says anything to me about Skype....I will scream F*** skype. I don't have the money to visit her, and from what I've read, she may not want to visit the UK once she is settled.

There is a lot of talk on here about how Skype and FB can make homesickness worse. How sad that people feel you have to cut off from friends and family at home to give yourself a shot at living happily without them. But as Joanne once said on here...you have to be intrinsically selfish to emigrate. However that is not much consolation to those left behind. And in the same way migrants struggle to understand those of us who want to live in one country our whole live, near all our family and friends, us non migrants struggle to understand how you can leave your family and friends to live somewhere new. We have a fundamentally different mindset which makes it hard for you to understand our lack of adventurousness or our love for the UK or our deep attachment to family and friends to the extent where the thought of moving too far away from them would literally break our heart and we find it hard to understand your need to try living on the other side of the world away from the UK, away from family and friends. Now Blobby, I am not saying your friends have the same petty small minded thoughts about you emigrating as I am harbouring about my friend emigrating ( in my own defense, I am normally a relatively nice and not selfish person) and even if they did, most would rather shoot themselves in the head than admit it. However they might. I know I am carrying a lot of hurt around at the moment. I don't want to feel this way and I am working on it, but I do. I think it will take time for the hurt to ease. I think our friendship of 30 years has been damaged by this process and only time can tell if that damage is reparable or not.

I know you were not being harsh on your friends. As you said, they don't owe you anything. I just wanted to suggest the ways your emigration may have affected them. I just wanted you to realise that they might have HAD to move on to save themselves a lot of sorrow and pain. After all those of us left behind are not getting a big adventure in exchange for loss, we just get the loss. They may also be bracing themselves incase you decide to move on again. After all the ping pong pom thing is a well known phenomenon. Or as you said yourself, you already have your head turned towards the possibility of trying a different country if the UK does not work out. Once someone realises their friend has wanderlust tendencies, they may be less prepared to invest in them, in case they move on again. Otherwise they go through that pain all over again.

I hope things work out for you and your family in Cornwall. Such a beautiful County!!!! I am sure you will be very happy.

There is a lot of talk on here about how Skype and FB can make homesickness worse. How sad that people feel you have to cut off from friends and family at home to give yourself a shot at living happily without them.

Just to comment on this one point :)

I don't think anyone is saying cut off totally from people back in the UK. But to realistically stand a chance of adjusting and settling in to another country and getting on with living life there you can't live your life attached to FB all day or on Skype daily trying to keep up with what people are doing back in the UK. They are just getting on with their lives. The people migrating need to get on with theirs. Skype, FB, phone and all that has its time and place, just you can't live on it every day or it becomes a crutch that might not be healthy in helping people adjust and adapt to a new life overseas. You didn't in the UK and you can't do it from Aus. Its not realistic and can make the settling in period harder if you can't learn to let go a bit and get out there and live in Aus.

We use Skype a few times a month to chat to hubby's family and our friends in Aus. We don't spend all day logged in to it nor do we scour FB for what they are up to. Its a fluid thing and we've adapted to it as the internet has changed and grown. We have a good balance I feel. And we hope to do the same in reverse when we are settled in Aus. I don't want to feel like I am living a life via FB just to keep up with people in the UK or anything. Sure I'll miss people and all that but its not healthy to keep hankering or trying to live vicariously through others when you are the other side of the world.

Moving overseas isn't just a physical thing. Its a very emotional thing also and if people leave their hearts and minds constantly back in the UK living on FB and Skype they are probably never going to really adapt or settle as well as they might.

Guest Guest63690
Moving overseas isn't just a physical thing. Its a very emotional thing also and if people leave their hearts and minds constantly back in the UK living on FB and Skype they are probably never going to really adapt or settle as well as they might.

Hi Snifter, I don't doubt for a minute this is true, and I think new migrants need to do whatever they need to do to settle and find happiness in the life they have chosen. I may feel the need to cut off to some extent from my friend after she leaves. In the same way that moving overseas is very emotional, so is losing a friend, or family member. It is frankly heart breaking. It changes the whole landscape of your life. I do not blame migrants for paring back on contact I was just hoping to offer Blobby some perspective on what its like to be a friend who has been left behind, and then may not be so sure about the person who left when they come back. After all, whos to say they wont get a hankering to go on another adventure. When people feel sad about their friends in the UK having moved on or not seeming overly fussed about them coming back, please don 't feel rejected, just remember the pain they might have gone through and kept hidden, and the pain they might want to shield themselves from in the future.

I have a lovely friend who moved to Brisbane about 14 years ago and we have never lost touch, we talk weekly, email each other, on facebook. She comes down to see family every year and we meet up. I would love to get up to to see her more often but unfortunately life gets in the way, one thing and another.

True friends understand and are always there for us in my opinion.

We do not have to live near to be a friend.

dont be too hard on yourself the Aussies are very hard to get along with so making friends is hard,but at the end of the day its close family ie wife kids etc that are your real friends ,sounds like your having second thoughts?we leave in 3 weeks (thank god)after nearly five years and their will be some stuff i miss ,regarding Facebook etc its good and bad i suppose it works both ways,as for melbourne all i can say is I've been to every state here and melbourne is by far the best,thats just my opinion,best of luck anyway

Guest Guest63690
I have a lovely friend who moved to Brisbane about 14 years ago and we have never lost touch, we talk weekly, email each other, on facebook. She comes down to see family every year and we meet up. I would love to get up to to see her more often but unfortunately life gets in the way, one thing and another.

True friends understand and are always there for us in my opinion.

We do not have to live near to be a friend.

Hi Petal, I am happy your friendship has survived your friends move. I have a lovely friend in Peterborough, I have a lovely friend in Milton Keynes, I have a lovely friend in Taunton and one in Paris. I am not a stranger to friendships across the miles, and I am sure our friendship will survive to some extent. I was just trying to be honest, for the benefit of Blobby, in saying that when a friend emigrates to the other side of the world, there is pain, there is grief, there is sorrow. There may be harm done, and friendships may not survive, or friends may feel less ready to invest in a friendship after someone has moved so far away and then returned. I did not bare my soul and admit to being a selfish human being for any other reason. You say that true friends understand. Maybe you have hit the nail on the head. Maybe I don't understand. My friends has such a good life here, on a joint income of £62,000 which they are exchanging for a sole income of $85k. I also suspect that her motives for emigrating may not be pure which I am only just getting my head round.

I have only been positive about the move to my friend. Only once did I mention anything negative, which was after I did some research on here and discovered she may be worse off financially. She made it clear she did not want to know so I have since then just tried to be there for her. She would probably be mortified if she knew I felt angry or hurt or rejected. I do however consider myself to be a true friend, just one who has feelings I would rather not have. I just don't want Blobby or other returnees to feel rejected if their friends don't get overly excited about their return. Ironically it may be because they cared too much.

Hi wronged,

Can you be my friend? You come across how a true friend should be! IMO I have tried to stay in contact with certain friends who I thought were true friends but when you are the one giving all the time, its start to wear off a little I really have tried my best 1 friend who was such a big part of our lives godfather to my children has really let us down & my kids! but I kept trying & we got back in contact & he said to us he was so hurt that we left him, & angry that we could just leave like we did! So we are building our friendship back again which has made us overjoyed! So I understand your post

dont be too hard on yourself the Aussies are very hard to get along with so making friends is hard,but at the end of the day its close family ie wife kids etc that are your real friends ,sounds like your having second thoughts?we leave in 3 weeks (thank god)after nearly five years and their will be some stuff i miss ,regarding Facebook etc its good and bad i suppose it works both ways,as for melbourne all i can say is I've been to every state here and melbourne is by far the best,thats just my opinion,best of luck anyway

In your experience that may be the case but in mine you couldnt be further from the truth, all the Aussies I have met without exeption have been easy to get on with and very friendly. My OH works with an all Aussie team and they have been very welcoming.

Guest The Pom Queen
In your experience that may be the case but in mine you couldnt be further from the truth, all the Aussies I have met without exeption have been easy to get on with and very friendly. My OH works with an all Aussie team and they have been very welcoming.

I really think it depends where you are. In Melbourne and Cairns they have been wonderful, in the outback here we have found no one puts themselves out for youand if I had only come to this area I would have the same opinion that all Aussies are unfriendly.

I really think it depends where you are. In Melbourne and Cairns they have been wonderful, in the outback here we have found no one puts themselves out for youand if I had only come to this area I would have the same opinion that all Aussies are unfriendly.

Speaking from experience at the minute Kate, I agree though, not keen on strangers in the deep country

yes i have probably not said that well....i have around 3 friends here that i would call friends i know lots of people who i work with but don't regard them as good friends...and it is everyones own experiences ,out of the 3 close friends 1 is polish 1 is of polish parents and the other is full Aussie,this dosnt hold much relevance other than they have been the most welcoming...its the blatant racism i find so hard to deal with...example..we had a casual at work last week he was indian,a very smart clever well presented kid of about 25...i was showing him the ropes and helping him settle in.at break time (bearing in mind the young fella was in the canteen at the time) i walked into the canteen to the chorus of here he is the blackie lover the n.....er lover i was virtually in tears not for myself but for the poor kid sat eating on his own .....at the end of the shift the guy in charge asked me how the kid went i said he was fine blah blah...so he got asked to come back the next day...i have never heard the last of it since.....being welcoming and friendly to me means being welcoming and friendly to all people wherever there from,....sorry if I've ranted on a bit but this is a true story and makes me sick to the bone,,,,

No Jinky not really second thoughts. Just reflecting on such issues as is it us? Did we screw it up? What happens if we get home and it doesnt work out? But, honestly, we know Australia is not for us....at least...we know the bits we have seen and the bits we have lived in are not for us....and your comments on the rest of it are reassuring

This is interesting. Its also possibly the first negative thing I have ever heard you say!!

Where are you at the moment? What are they Aussies like!?

yes i have probably not said that well....i have around 3 friends here that i would call friends i know lots of people who i work with but don't regard them as good friends...and it is everyones own experiences ,out of the 3 close friends 1 is polish 1 is of polish parents and the other is full Aussie,this dosnt hold much relevance other than they have been the most welcoming...its the blatant racism i find so hard to deal with...example..we had a casual at work last week he was indian,a very smart clever well presented kid of about 25...i was showing him the ropes and helping him settle in.at break time (bearing in mind the young fella was in the canteen at the time) i walked into the canteen to the chorus of here he is the blackie lover the n.....er lover i was virtually in tears not for myself but for the poor kid sat eating on his own .....at the end of the shift the guy in charge asked me how the kid went i said he was fine blah blah...so he got asked to come back the next day...i have never heard the last of it since.....being welcoming and friendly to me means being welcoming and friendly to all people wherever there from,....sorry if I've ranted on a bit but this is a true story and makes me sick to the bone,,,,

This is disgraceful and enough to make me want to board a plane right now. I just dont want my kids growing up in a society that excpets this sort of sh!t. I dont want to live in a society that excepts it either. I know there is racism in the UK, but if people spoke like this at work they would be sacked. And rightly so. I knew a nurse who continually did impressions of an Indian nurse on our ward. Where is she now? Well, not there, fired she was, sends out a message, we don't accept that sort of thing, so go away.....but here it IS accepted. I work in a multi-racial environment. The worst Aussies are the ones that have never left Australia. I have heard an African guy be teased about bananas, I have heard a black Australian, born here, be told "you cant be an Aussie, you are too dark" I could go on.....

No, they are not all like this, but its the acceptance that I find intolerable. Good for you for doing what you did....or, really, not "good for you" at all, its what you ought to have done, its what any normal person would do!

I wonder what work you do?? Where do you live now?

We have had such a different experience with outback people. We had one family who invited my husband to stay with them at their property for a week, They didn't even know him and off he went. He was treated like family and still raves to this day about how incredible the people he met whilst out there were.

Edited to add: It may be a clash of cultures. I know this isn't a them vs us thing and I don't like these comparisons but I have to say that in my ten to 13 years in the UK , I've found the people here incredible hard to get on with and mean with their time and not generous in a social way.This was awful for the first 5 years and got better after I had my son and he went to school. Prior to that, and including baby groups etc, it was near impossible to make friends. I'm so glad I have the school community now or I'd have been miserable. The school gate has been a godsend for me rather than a bad thing :)

This is disgraceful and enough to make me want to board a plane right now. I just dont want my kids growing up in a society that excpets this sort of sh!t. I dont want to live in a society that excepts it either. I know there is racism in the UK, but if people spoke like this at work they would be sacked. And rightly so. I knew a nurse who continually did impressions of an Indian nurse on our ward. Where is she now? Well, not there, fired she was, sends out a message, we don't accept that sort of thing, so go away.....but here it IS accepted. I work in a multi-racial environment. The worst Aussies are the ones that have never left Australia. I have heard an African guy be teased about bananas, I have heard a black Australian, born here, be told "you cant be an Aussie, you are too dark" I could go on.....

No, they are not all like this, but its the acceptance that I find intolerable. Good for you for doing what you did....or, really, not "good for you" at all, its what you ought to have done, its what any normal person would do!

hi mate i work in a dairy and am in melbourne till 3 weeks tomorrow ........

Johnjinky's story is quite shocking. I suppose a lot depends on your work environment. I work/haved worked in University settings where it is all very PC both here and there. If anything the more 'enlightened' Aussies tend to be more 'worldly', IMO as a result of the proximty to Asia, meaning ease of travel to such culturally rich places as India, Indonesia, Burma and Cambodia.

I do think overall Aus lags behind the UK by a few decades WRT racial and cultural sensitivity, mainly because of a perceived 'need' to call a spade a bloody spade mate, but that is def changing for the better.

Having said that I'm not convinced there is more racism here than back in blighty tbh.

Johnjinky's story is quite shocking. I suppose a lot depends on your work environment. I work/haved worked in University settings where it is all very PC both here and there. If anything the more 'enlightened' Aussies tend to be more 'worldly', IMO as a result of the proximty to Asia, meaning ease of travel to such culturally rich places as India, Indonesia, Burma and Cambodia.

I do think overall Aus lags behind the UK by a few decades WRT racial and cultural sensitivity, mainly because of a perceived 'need' to call a spade a bloody spade mate, but that is def changing for the better.

Having said that I'm not convinced there is more racism here than back in blighty tbh.

I would agree. I personally never saw much overt racism until I came to UK tbh.

I know and acknowledge everyone has their own personal and awful experiences of racism in both nations, but thats just my own :)

I haven't experienced any racism in Victoria, either. I have a feeling it is more in the smaller towns but I could be wrong. Certainly never come across it in the workplace. It is just such a diverse community here and everyone just gets on with it. When I lived in the UK I came across racism constantly but that was a while ago now. Hopefully things have improved.

I certainly hope you reported this behaviour. It is unacceptable in any circumstances but managers can only put a stop to it if they are told about it.

And just in case you say you did report it if and nothing was done the details of how to escalate it are at the bottom of the page this link will take you to.

http://www.hreoc.gov.au/racial_discrimination/guide_to_rda/index.html

Depending on your definition of racism, my daughter is working in Sydney and is constantly mocked by her manager for her English accent. When my daughter said every one has an accent she was told "I am Australian this is my country so I don't have an accent"!!!!! Obviously not as bad a case as mentioned by JJinky, but is still creates an unpleasant work situation.

Guest chris955

Edited to add: It may be a clash of cultures. I know this isn't a them vs us thing and I don't like these comparisons but I have to say that in my ten to 13 years in the UK , I've found the people here incredible hard to get on with and mean with their time and not generous in a social way.This was awful for the first 5 years and got better after I had my son and he went to school. Prior to that, and including baby groups etc, it was near impossible to make friends. I'm so glad I have the school community now or I'd have been miserable. The school gate has been a godsend for me rather than a bad thing :)

Wow, our experience has been totally different, the people around us have been incredibly friendly and helpful. We have had many come over and introduce themselves and offer help if we needed it as we were new to the area. Isnt it odd how different areas can be so very different ?

Guest Guest63690
Hi wronged,

Can you be my friend? You come across how a true friend should be! IMO I have tried to stay in contact with certain friends who I thought were true friends but when you are the one giving all the time, its start to wear off a little I really have tried my best 1 friend who was such a big part of our lives godfather to my children has really let us down & my kids! but I kept trying & we got back in contact & he said to us he was so hurt that we left him, & angry that we could just leave like we did! So we are building our friendship back again which has made us overjoyed! So I understand your post

Hi Whatsitallabout. You ask if I can be your friend, and I am honoured, because you sound like a very special person. Not only did you not give up on your friend, but they felt able to share with you feelings that trust me, are very hard to share, and you have understood those feelings. Your reward is getting that friendship back on track. I am really chuffed for you.

Archived