Mistakes made and lessons learned

blobby1000

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah and not a single nasty reply! Quite refreshing!

Buttercup did you come out on a 457? When Im safely out of here Im going to put a big post on here on 457s!!!

PMSL!!!! Yes, I did!!!! BUT, for me I was very lucky in as much as my work place was fab, really nice with a great team. However, the agency who sorted the visa were nothing short of s**t to the extent I think they no longer exist! I heard some proper horror stories though re work places...

Yeah, am flippin shocked there has been no mud slinging on here! Don't think I have ever seen that before! Maybe a first on PIO???? You've started a revolution Blooby! Che number 2!

By the way, don't worry about finding work when you come back. I found one within a month, left as i didn't like it and got another - permanant too!

Were you interviewed by an unbelievably negative woman on the phone that questioned why the hell you would want to come to Australia and explained how shocking the nursing is here?

I know I used the same agent as you, and I had the bizarest "interview" for Adelaide! She only asked one question "what on earth are you wanting to come here for?!"

Which hospital did you get put in and did they lean on you and insist you lived near it?

Just interested to see if we had similar experiences on 457s in spite of being in different cities......

Guest paulwbafc

Great post, we all do that, the facebook and with the internet it is so easy to get side tracked back to things happening in england and ignoring your doorstep. I have been in oz 5 years recently became citizens. I love it in oz but it did take me a few years to wean myself off britain. Trying the aussie way of life. Making friends for me was the easy bit, we all meet up down the local pub fridays and sundays. We arrange the odd socialble too. I suffered with the homesickness on and off missing the usual things. Went back to uk after 3 years to go to brothers wedding then after 3 days i was badly missing oz. Just out the blue. Walking round tesco going bannanas because there was no decent rasion bread and the chocolate penguins i used to love tasted disgusting compared to tim tams. The maccas had no cafe. In uk having to pay to park the car wheres in oz the only parking fee i pay is the airport. Little things in england that never ever annoyed me when i lived there annoyed me now. So any homesick people going back, australia one way or another will leave its mark good or bad. Having gone back for a visit my homesickness has mostly gone. I feel australia is my true home now. I love australia and i see my kids having a childhood i could only dream about. Which makes me happy. I could of stayed in inner city birmingham. Or live on brisbane bayside. All i can say to the family i left behind. Wish u were here.

Great post, we all do that, the facebook and with the internet it is so easy to get side tracked back to things happening in england and ignoring your doorstep. I have been in oz 5 years recently became citizens. I love it in oz but it did take me a few years to wean myself off britain. Trying the aussie way of life. Making friends for me was the easy bit, we all meet up down the local pub fridays and sundays. We arrange the odd socialble too. I suffered with the homesickness on and off missing the usual things. Went back to uk after 3 years to go to brothers wedding then after 3 days i was badly missing oz. Just out the blue. Walking round tesco going bannanas because there was no decent rasion bread and the chocolate penguins i used to love tasted disgusting compared to tim tams. The maccas had no cafe. In uk having to pay to park the car wheres in oz the only parking fee i pay is the airport. Little things in england that never ever annoyed me when i lived there annoyed me now. So any homesick people going back, australia one way or another will leave its mark good or bad. Having gone back for a visit my homesickness has mostly gone. I feel australia is my true home now. I love australia and i see my kids having a childhood i could only dream about. Which makes me happy. I could of stayed in inner city birmingham. Or live on brisbane bayside. All i can say to the family i left behind. Wish u were here.

Thats a great post. Im glad you are enjoying life. I think coming back to the Uk for a visit is a good test, if you miss Australia and UK winds you up, its a good indicator that you "home" is changing destinations.

It must take a good few years to settle properly but I think you have to be basically happy with life in Australia to keep going for the time it takes to really feel like its home.

Just a quick question...where did you actually find the people to go down the pub on a Friday and Sunday with in the first place? You must have made friends in order to go down the pub with them....

Archived