motorhome recommendations for hire in Sydney

Wellers and Whitehead

Guest littlesarah

My experience of renting a campervan/motorhome is that many want a $7k deposit, but most will reduce that if you take out insurance. It's fair enough, really, when you think that a 2-berth panelvan with toilet & shower costs about $85k brand new.

We hired a van in Alice, it was a Britz van but the hire was done through a third party - I think it was 'backpacker campers' or something like that. All went very smoothly, nice van, nearly new with only 20,000km on it.

The companies that use newer vehicles will charge more than those that use older ones, it's all about return on investment, after all.

Hubby's nephew hired a small vehicle (a converted Toyota people carrier) with Jucy - they were pretty pleased with it I think (they're the company with the cheeky advertising).

Enjoy your road trip - I'm looking forward to finishing our van and heading off down South in the Summer!

Guest The Pom Queen

We have always used Britz, we have had two problems, one where the aircon stopped working and they replaced the van in Darwin no problem at all and even gave us a forby for the day to explore. The other time again we were stranded in the outback, umm there seems to be a bit of a pattern developing here lol. We drove Alice to Darwin and back but on the way back we ended up with a total of 3 punctures, :chatterbox: We managed to 3 wheel it at 30kph down to Barrow Creek where the backpacker murder was ;my god was that a scary place, we had to wait until they brought a tyre from Alice, but the guy at the roadhouse was spooky plus when the roadhouse generator went and we were sat there with him in the pitch black next to a huge chest freezer that stunk of death, :frown:

I would still use Britz, try going through RACQ etc they give a discount

We have always used Britz, we have hadtwo problems, one where the aircon stopped working and they replaced the van in Darwin no problem at all and even gave us a forby for the day to explore. The other time again we were stranded in the outback, umm there seems to be a bit of a pattern developing here lol. We drove Alice to Darwin and back but on the way back we ended up with a total of 3 punctures, :chatterbox: We managed to 3 wheel it at 30kph down to Barrow Creek where the backpacker murder was ;my god was that a scary place, we had to wait until they brought a tyre from Alice, but the guy at the roadhouse was spooky plus when the roadhouse generator went and we were sat there with him in the pitch black next to a huge chest freezer that stunk of death, :frown:

Smelling of death!? Might give that one a miss ha! Thanks for your responses.

Guest Jens Berger

I had a good experience with Travel Wheels (www.travelwheels.com.au).

We hired a Hitop Campervan for 3 people from Travelwheels for our East Coast Trip Sydney to Cairns. Their bond was $500 only, I think it was the standard insurance.

Was a nice campervan, well serviced vehicle. Nice kitchen with fridge, all features were working! Service was always excellent either... they have a free phone number and really nice and helpful girls in the reservations team.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip, you will love it!

Guest AKA63029
We have always used Britz, we have had two problems, one where the aircon stopped working and they replaced the van in Darwin no problem at all and even gave us a forby for the day to explore. The other time again we were stranded in the outback, umm there seems to be a bit of a pattern developing here lol. We drove Alice to Darwin and back but on the way back we ended up with a total of 3 punctures, :chatterbox: We managed to 3 wheel it at 30kph down to Barrow Creek where the backpacker murder was ;my god was that a scary place, we had to wait until they brought a tyre from Alice, but the guy at the roadhouse was spooky plus when the roadhouse generator went and we were sat there with him in the pitch black next to a huge chest freezer that stunk of death, :frown:

And they say the 'film' ISN'T based on fact:

:shocked::shocked:

I have used Getabout Oz a couple of times. They are brokers and they managed to get us a Britz van once and a Backpacker van once, both at a good reduction on the quotes we had gained direct from Britz and Backpacker. Also found them incredibly helpful the one time we broke down - replaced the van with a newer version and gave us a reduction in the hire fee for lost travelling time.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I’m Wesley Bradley and I’m a Marketing Manager at Transfercar. We offer free rental car relocations around Australia and New Zealand which can be a great alternative to more expensive and less flexible methods of travel. If you’re interested in a free rental car in Australia please check out http://www.transfercar.com.au or of you’re traveling in New Zealand please check out http://www.transfercar.co.nz. Thanks for considering our service as an option. Safe travels!

Archived