Not enough points due to age, so no 189/190 visa; possible for teacher to get 186/187 visa?

MissMalone

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on PomsinOz!

I've done a good bit of searching on the forum and elsewhere online and can't seem to find an answer to my question, so I was hoping someone here would have advice!

I'm currently 38, and recently made a career change to get into teaching. I am completing a Bachelors degree at the moment and next year do a PGCE. Great, that gets me 15 points and also means I met the requirements for teacher's education in Oz.

However, by the time I qualify as a teacher I'll be aged 41. Not so great, as I will have moved up an age bracket and lose 10 points. Giving me 15 for age instead of 25 points.

I had intended to apply for a 190 visa to either WA or SA as primary school teacher is on their state lists. But with only 15 points for my age (plus 20 for english and 15 for education) I only have 50 points. Even if I wait until I have 3 years experience to get an extra 5 points, I am still stuck on 55 points! So it would seem that the 190 visa just won't be an option for me.

It seems that a non-points based visa will be my only option - either the 186 or 187 employer sponsored visas.

So after all that explanation my question is.... can schools directly sponsor teachers on a 186/187 visa and/or does anyone have any experience of this?

Or does anyone have any additional advise or know anything different from what I posted hre regards points, eligibility etc.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post :)

P.S. If was to apply under my current profession of a Graphic Designer I would have more than 60 points, however Graphic Designer is only on Schedule 2 and not on any state sponsored lists. So I believe that excludes me for 189 and 190 visa application.

Hi there

I am hoping I can help as I was in the same shoes as you.

Also a teacher, also was 41 when applying and also short on points. You are right on your calculations:

15 for degree

15 for age

20 for IELTS above 8

I needed 65 points but managed to claim 5 points for my work as a teacher. You need 60

You can register an expression of interest for a 489 regional visa. This would give you 10 state sponsorship points instead of 5. This visa does come with restrictions and you have to live in a regional postcode for two years and work full time for one year in order to gain permanent residency. It's not ideal but at least its an option. I am under the same restrictions but the end goal of living in Australia is the same.

Find out which states are sponsoring primary school teachers on 489s. I applied to Queensland and got approved but they are no longer accepting teachers. I believe South Australia and Victoria maybe?

Once you have a positive skills assessment as a teacher from AITSL you can register. I think there is a requirement that you need to have worked 12 out of the last 24 months as a teacher to apply but someone else might be able to clarify this for sure. You will need to hustle once you get your PGCE as you will have 3 more years to apply before age 45.

let me know if you would like any more help.

Millie x

There is no reason why a school cannot sponsor for a 186 visa, however there seems to be a surplus of primary school teachers and I am just not sure that it is likely. Or perhaps only likely in a very remote area in Australia? In which case they might not want to go for permanent sponsorship as you are not tied to them then.

So I was thinking along the same lines as the post above, the 489 visa might be better. Can you top up points with partner points? Although the pass mark is 60, I would really be shotting for 65 as I don't think anyone with 60 has actually received an invitation yet, of course it is early days and many people will be monitoring and will know how the land lies by the time you are ready to apply.

Hi MillieMolly & Rupert

Thanks so much for your really helpful responses (and to Pablo for the bump!).

Fantastic news about the 489 visa - can't believe I overlooked it and it's 10 extra points!

And unfortunately no, I don't have a partner, so no partner points!

However I have one HUGE concern about the 489 visa and that is it is for 4 years. I realise that I can then apply for say a 190 at a later date to switch over to permanent residency - but I am then back to the not enough points situation as by that stage I would be 45 or so and lose all by age points, and would still only be eligible for 10 points for Oz work experience (3 years in the last 5 in Oz) and no outside Oz work experience points (as I would be heading over on the 489 after only 12 months of UK teaching experience.

Rock and a hard place!

If it were just me to consider I would be a lot more gung-ho about taking the chance that it would all work out in the end! But I have a young son who I don't want to up root, only to have to come back in 4 years. Hence my trying to consider every scenario to try and make my plan fool proof LOL!

As I can see it at the moment, if I wanted to go for the 190 visa immediately after my PGCE (when I will be 41 and have no points for work experience as the 12 months I'll do to satisfy the 'skilled' worker requirement doesn't merit points) then I am stuck at 55 points (15 age, 0 work, 15 education, 20 english, 5 state sponsored 190 = 55). Is there anywhere I am missing getting 5 points from other than waiting until I have 3 years experience (risky because I'll be 44 by that point) and knowing that I can't get the partner points?

Other than that is really is the 489 visa, which gets me to 60 points (15 age, 0 work, 15 education, 20 english, 10 state sponsored 489 = 60) but leaves me having to either get out of Oz after 4 years or banking on meeting a nice Ozzie bloke, falling in love and getting married LOL, as my age will preclude me from qualifying for an additional visa after the 489 due to lack of points (0 age, 20 english, 15 education, 10 work, 5 state sponsorship 190 = 50).

Sucks to be me lol!

Hi MillieMolly & Rupert

Thanks so much for your really helpful responses (and to Pablo for the bump!).

Fantastic news about the 489 visa - can't believe I overlooked it and it's 10 extra points!

And unfortunately no, I don't have a partner, so no partner points!

However I have one HUGE concern about the 489 visa and that is it is for 4 years. I realise that I can then apply for say a 190 at a later date to switch over to permanent residency - but I am then back to the not enough points situation as by that stage I would be 45 or so and lose all by age points, and would still only be eligible for 10 points for Oz work experience (3 years in the last 5 in Oz) and no outside Oz work experience points (as I would be heading over on the 489 after only 12 months of UK teaching experience.

Rock and a hard place!

If it were just me to consider I would be a lot more gung-ho about taking the chance that it would all work out in the end! But I have a young son who I don't want to up root, only to have to come back in 4 years. Hence my trying to consider every scenario to try and make my plan fool proof LOL!

As I can see it at the moment, if I wanted to go for the 190 visa immediately after my PGCE (when I will be 41 and have no points for work experience as the 12 months I'll do to satisfy the 'skilled' worker requirement doesn't merit points) then I am stuck at 55 points (15 age, 0 work, 15 education, 20 english, 5 state sponsored 190 = 55). Is there anywhere I am missing getting 5 points from other than waiting until I have 3 years experience (risky because I'll be 44 by that point) and knowing that I can't get the partner points?

Other than that is really is the 489 visa, which gets me to 60 points (15 age, 0 work, 15 education, 20 english, 10 state sponsored 489 = 60) but leaves me having to either get out of Oz after 4 years or banking on meeting a nice Ozzie bloke, falling in love and getting married LOL, as my age will preclude me from qualifying for an additional visa after the 489 due to lack of points (0 age, 20 english, 15 education, 10 work, 5 state sponsorship 190 = 50).

Sucks to be me lol!

It doesn't suck honest. It's a way in and I am very glad to have found one

The 489 visa will give you a path to permanent residency. You will automatically be able to apply for permanent residency after two years of living and working in a regional postcode. The 4 year time scale allows you 4 years in which to meet these criteria. During this time you have to work at least 12 months full time but this can be spread across two jobs adding up to 35 hours per week.

You don't need to go marrying some Aussie bloke. :) You just have to meet the restrictions then you can apply to stay forever. There is no need to spend another 3k on a 190.

I am going out to Australia on a 475 (the same visa but with a new number) in a few weeks time. Even though I have family and possibly a job in Brisbane, I need to spend at least two years in regional Queensland to get PR. We are heading to the Sunshine Coast for two years which is about an hour and half journey from Brisbane. I will still be able to visit my sister within a couple of hours so I am happy with that. Once I have PR things will be more flexible.

Millie x

It doesn't suck honest. It's a way in and I am very glad to have found one

The 489 visa will give you a path to permanent residency. You will automatically be able to apply for permanent residency after two years of living and working in a regional postcode. The 4 year time scale allows you 4 years in which to meet these criteria. During this time you have to work at least 12 months full time but this can be spread across two jobs adding up to 35 hours per week.

You don't need to go marrying some Aussie bloke. :) You just have to meet the restrictions then you can apply to stay forever. There is no need to spend another 3k on a 190.

I am going out to Australia on a 475 (the same visa but with a new number) in a few weeks time. Even though I have family and possibly a job in Brisbane, I need to spend at least two years in regional Queensland to get PR. We are heading to the Sunshine Coast for two years which is about an hour and half journey from Brisbane. I will still be able to visit my sister within a couple of hours so I am happy with that. Once I have PR things will be more flexible.

Millie x

Millie you are a life saver! Thanks so much for a) pointing out the 489 in the first place, and b) advising about me eligible for the 887 after 2 years (see i looked it up already lol). Even after hours and hours of online research and forum reading i hadn't come up with this solution myself and am very grateful to you for taking the time to give me advice.

For me it looks like it with we SA or WA as they (currently) both have primary school teacher on their state lists. Hopefully they still will have by the time I am able to apply!

I'd be very interested to know how long the process of getting the visa was for you overall. I can see you were granted the visa in June this year, and started the process with your AISTL in Feb 11, but it was Dec before your did the IELTS, but after that it seems to have only been 6 months before you got your visa. Did you have to wait between skills assessment and the other stuff for an official reason? Sorry to be nosey, just sat here working myself out a timeline for when and how I should do things.

xoxo

If you're looking at a regional visa, it's probably worth pointing out that the whole of South Australia including Adelaide counts. In contrast, in Western Australia you'd have to live away from Perth.

See:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/regional-growth.htm

The fact that Adelaide counts as regional led a friend to emigrate there some years ago. I'm not sure what visa he went over on, but after a couple of years he was awarded permanent residence, and has subsequently become an Australian citizen. So there is a pathway there.

There are restrictions on what property holders of temporary visas can purchase. You'd need to check with the FIRB for more details. But that's a way down the line.

If you're looking at a regional visa, it's probably worth pointing out that the whole of South Australia including Adelaide counts. In contrast, in Western Australia you'd have to live away from Perth.

See:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/regional-growth.htm

The fact that Adelaide counts as regional led a friend to emigrate there some years ago. I'm not sure what visa he went over on, but after a couple of years he was awarded permanent residence, and has subsequently become an Australian citizen. So there is a pathway there.

There are restrictions on what property holders of temporary visas can purchase. You'd need to check with the FIRB for more details. But that's a way down the line.

That IS interesting. Adelaide sounds like a lovely city from what I know of it. Thanks for the advice :biggrin:

Another thought came to mind, and that is is there a specific amount of money that the state sponsoring you expects you to have or bring with you?

I think the states vary with this one. Someone else might know for SA and WA ? I did have to prove funds but some just ask how much you plan to bring in to support yourself / family.

Millie x

Millie,

Again, thank you so much! I sat down last night and spend a few hours typing up a 'timeline' of what to do and when etc, but this next 3 years is basically finishing my qualifications and saving as much money as possible to pay for the visa and related expenses (£5k!) and what I am calling my Oz Initial Living Fund, which from from all initial estimations really needs to be about AU$20K.

The getting 12 months work experience thing is a pain (lol) simply because it's unlikely I'll be walking straight into a job after my PGCE so it will take me longer to accumulate '12 months' supply teaching.

How do they add up the experience when it has been done under temporary contracts or day-to-day supply work?

I too have a son, and will have a few hoops to jump through there as I'll have to get court permission to take him to Oz (even though his father has no contact and pays nothing for him!) as his father has parental responsibility. I will have to do that after my skills assessment but before lodging my EOI as if I do get an invite you only have 90 days to get everything submitted (including the court papers allowing the child to leave) and I would be worried the court stuff wouldn't be sorted in time.

Really I have a long round ahead! Part of me thinks I should just try and get a non-points based employer sponsored via as a Graphic Designer (have a degree and 10+ years work experience). It's on CSOL, so if I could find someone willing to sponsor me I wouldn't have to wait 3 years to be even able to submit an EOI (meaning it will be 4 years at least before I am out there)! I could then do my teacher training in Oz in a few years after fulfilling my visa work commitments to my employer as a Graphic Designer and getting PR. I might have a wee look into it. If i could successfully do it that way I could be in Oz in 2 years instead of 4 or 5.

Look forward to continuing to talk to you on here Millie, you thoughts and advise are just brill!

Just a quick update...

On further investigation I've found that ACT is sponsoring Graphic Designers. Given that I would be able to apply for this type of visa with a few months (ie while I am still in the 33-39 age bracket) and I have plenty of work experience, it looks like this is my best option for getting to Oz sooner rather than later,

As a Graphic Designer I was 75 points (25 age, 20 english, 15 education, 10 experience, 5 state sponsored 190 visa).

After a year or two once I get settled and on my feet financially I could then just do my teacher training in Oz instead.

So looks like i can get started much more quickly than I thought!

If you're reckoning on £5000 then I'm guessing you're looking at using an agent. A DIY application isn't that hard, most people find the skills assessment to be the trickiest part, and filling in the visa application form is just a case of answering questions. I'd suggest doing the skills assessment yourself, and see how you get on. You're going to need to gather up employer references and proof that you've been working as a graphics designer even if you use an agent.

Where one might be useful is dealing with your ex, particularly if the courts get involved.

With regards to applying as a graphic designer, have you been working as one recently? The old 175 and 176 visas required that you had worked 12 out of the last 24 months in your nominated occupation, but I'm not sure if that condition applies to the 190 though.

Bear in mind that it's likely to take about a year to get a visa through even if things go smoothly. A skills assessment itself can take a couple of months to be processed. And after being granted it, you've got up to another twelve months to make your first entry, and you don't have to migrate immediately.

I'd suggest getting things moving sooner rather than later, and keep the possibility of doing your PGCE here next year open. Your age is frozen once you apply for a visa, so it doesn't matter if you delay things. That said, I'd compare course fees for the UK and Oz, and see which would be the cheaper to study in.

Archived