Any information on Toowoomba?

Guest Misshark

Guest Misshark

Hi everyone, I am actually an American looking for more information on Toowoomba. Every type of forum I have found so far is primarily for British expats in Australia, so I hope it's okay that I am here asking you guys some questions!

My husband and I are thinking of a move to Toowomba, he'd be working out of the Army base near by.

A few things I am looking for:

1) general opinions on Toowoomba from those that live or have lived there.

2) renting houses - what are the best areas to rent in? I am late 20s husband is mid 30s and we will have a new baby.

3) What areas have "newer" houses? I was looking on some different rental sites to get an idea of house rentals and many look older and don't have updated interiors. Is this normal or am I looking in the wrong place (both the wrong website, and the wrong suburb?)

4) If you have imported your dog can you please tell me about your experience? We have a small 8lb dog that I want to bring with us. I know it is an intensive process and expensive but we are willing to do it. Any info on your experience with the process, quarantine, how your dog did flying in cargo on such a long flight - all of that is appreciated.

Thank you!

Guest Misshark

Sorry guys, just saw the Queensland forum and also the section on Pets! I will do a bit of exploring this site, just getting the hang of it.

Not the right place but the worst that can happen is that this thread is moved!

We moved to Toowoomba a bit over five years ago and love it. It's big enough (about 125,000 population) to have pretty much everything that we need but still small enough that you can drive from one side of town to the other in 15 minutes, even in rush hour. Toowoomba is on top of an 700 metre escarpment so the climate is a few degrees cooler than down below and WAY less humid than in Brisbane. In summer this is great--some people find it a bit cool in winter but I personally love that weather. Even in winter, the daytime highs tend to be in the high teens or low twenties (say low to mid 60s if you think in Fahrenheit) but dropping down to a few degrees above freezing at night. Maybe I'm crazy but I love wearing shorts during the day then bundling up as soon as the sun sets.

For housing, you'll probably find more modern houses than older ones to rent once you get here. Toowoomba has had a bit of an expansion boom in the last 20 years or so and all the new building is modern. The closer you get to the centre of town, the more likely you are to find traditional older houses. However, as you move out, it's mainly modern. Particularly to the south of the CBD and down towards the university it's almost all modern. Look at areas like Darling Heights, Middle Ridge, Kearney's Springs etc. though there are lots of areas.

Best areas? Hard to answer. I don't know of any areas that are "bad". However, what's good depends on what you're looking for. We're in Darling Heights and happy with it.

I can't help with the dog since we didn't bring one--but I'd be more worried about the long quarantine than the flight itself.

Archived