Mechanics:- Tools or no tools?

Hi guys,

I'm right at the very beginning of the whole process of emigrating, and I have a question, which I hope I'm posting the correct place...

I'm a heavy duty mechanic, and have been offered a position in Sydney by my current employer's local dealership.

My question, plain and simple is whether or not a mechanic working in Australia owns his own hand tools in general or are they supplied by the employer?

In advance thanks

Simon

Guest katie007

Depends on the Sponsor, if they support overseas staff with Tools understanding the heavy nature of tools and if they understand there is so much you can take with you on a flight.

However, if you look at most jobs advertised within Australia you need your own Tools.

My OH owns most of his, things up to 3/4 inch drives and stuff that can be used for large and small applications. Things specific to his job like strap wrenches they use to remove filters from haul trucks, or CAT/Komatsu etc specific tools are supplied.

As he works away at the mines he has two sets of the common tools, the really heavy duty stuff lives full time on site and doesn't come home.

Apprentices are nortmally expected to buy their own basic sets - companies like Kinchrome produce "apprentice sets" specifically for them and the tool collection builds up from there. Makes shopping for Christmas quite easy and then we can claim the "presents" on tax too.

Hubby brought most of his own tools but alot of the bigger stuff is provided by the company he works for. One thing hubby and a couple of mechanic friends noticed, was that if you turn up with a fully loaded snap on tool box ,your stuff is more than likely going to become the company 'tool bank' ! lol

Just make sure whatever you do bring is clean of oil and grease (hubby found putting them through a hot engine wash worked wonders).

Cal x

If you do bring your own and it's a decent brand box put it in a wooden crate.

I shipped a big snap on box from the UK and it was heavily damaged during shipping.

It left as a £4k unmarked box and arrived as a bent mess :(

Archived