Certifying a document

Tulip

I've found this list of people that can certify a copied document. Seeing as I have a lot to copy because you aren't suppose to send original copies of stuff (does this include evidence or can I send original bank statements, etc.?), it would be cheaper to have a friend that's a police officer certify them. Can I do this according to Australia though?

https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document

Any help, as always, much appreciated!

I've found this list of people that can certify a copied document. Seeing as I have a lot to copy because you aren't suppose to send original copies of stuff (does this include evidence or can I send original bank statements, etc.?), it would be cheaper to have a friend that's a police officer certify them. Can I do this according to Australia though?

https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document

Any help, as always, much appreciated!

hi

take them to any post office and they will certify 3 documents for around £7.50. ( no limit on amount)

If this is for diac and your visa, we didn't get *anything* certified, we just colour scanned it all in. Some of the documents were only.in black and white ( the originals) but that doesn't matter- the color scanning is because of the quality of the scan ( b&w scanning is a lower resolution and therefore lower quality) so you don't need to go through any stress at all, just scan them in. We had nothing queried and no worries on anything.

Hth

Guest GeorgeD

Hi Tulip, from memory you are applying for a Partner Visa aren't you? If you are applying through the Australian High Commission in London, here's the list of occupations of people who can certify documents in the UK as acceptable to DIAC for visa purposes.

http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/immi_certification.html

UK

• Solicitor
  • Magistrate
  • Notary Public
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Officer of a Court appointed by a Judge to take affidavits

It's from the Australian High Commission Website. Note that occupations like Postal Office Worker, Police Officer, Doctor, Denties, Nurse, Accountant, etc, are not on the list.

Yes, you only need to certify 'Officlal" documents, so marriage cert, birth cert, passport, etc. Bills, bank statements or other similar evidence don't need to be certified.

If you need certification for skills bodies, etc, then they may have a different list.

I got mine done by several solicitors. If you are speaking to a lawyer about anything else...for example getting a will done, or you are about to sell your house (I used one lawyer for these two things, and a another for a separate employment law matter. They both certified documents for free for me.)

If you are applying for a spouse visa as George believes then you have to apply by post so you will need to get your documents certified. I believe the submitting of documents that have been scanned in colour only applies to visas that are applied for on line.

If this is for diac and your visa, we didn't get *anything* certified, we just colour scanned it all in. Some of the documents were only.in black and white ( the originals) but that doesn't matter- the color scanning is because of the quality of the scan ( b&w scanning is a lower resolution and therefore lower quality) so you don't need to go through any stress at all, just scan them in. We had nothing queried and no worries on anything.

Hth

Hi PositivePixie,

Does this include the passport biodata page? I have just applied for a 457 visa and uploaded a colour scan of my passport page but it has not been certified so am unsure if it will be ok or not.

Thanks!

Thanks George!! So I wouldn't need to certify my evidence? I will look into Justice of the Peace and see if I can locate one. Sorry to pop another one in but would I also need him to certify stat decs, or do they just need to be signed by an Australian? Just thinking I could get the two done at the same time haha. Somehow even when I have my head around it a new part steps in and I get confused again.

You can't go by that list as it's UK only - for an Australian visa a dentist, councillor, teacher or bank manager can't certify a doc.

Go to your local cop station and find someone with a legal qualification* who can certify all your docs, for free.

Alternatively find a lawyer* at work who can do it.

*MUST be an England and Wales legal practicioner

Guest GeorgeD
You can't go by that list as it's UK only - for an Australian visa a dentist, councillor, teacher or bank manager can't certify a doc.

Go to your local cop station and find someone with a legal qualification* who can certify all your docs, for free.

Alternatively find a lawyer* at work who can do it.

*MUST be an England and Wales legal practicioner

I assume you mean the list someone else gave...because the list I provided is published by the Australian High Commission in London and lists the small number of qualified people for certifying documents in the UK for Oz immigration purposes. Honest!

There will be plenty of people who will say they had friend with an OBE, a butcher, baker or candlestick maker who certified theirs...and that's fine...their CO on the day with their application either didn't notice or didn't care. But a different CO on a different day may be that little sharper and refuse the document. All of a sudden they wonder why you didn't get a properly qualified person to certify docs and they investigate further into your application.

To Tulip...stat decs don't get certified...they get witnessed. Slightly different process but essentially done by the same people on the list. They have to see the person making the declaration actually sign it in their presence. They don't need to see you write it, just the signing bit. The applicant and sponsors own declarations don't actually need witnessed, just signed by the person making it. If anyone in Oz needs a stat dec witnessed they can get a JP in most shopping centers free of charge. Oz official forms are forever asking for certified or witnessed docs, so these services are readily available free of charge

Oh excellent, that's great then, thanks so much. One last one for you (I really appreciate it!), I saw in the manual that if you're lacking in Australian stat decs you can get statement from other people; ideally I would like my mum to write one just to say that we've been living under her roof and that's why we haven't been renting privately and lack financial evidence. If she did this, would I need it signed by a Justice of the Peace or would it be ok that it's just a statement as she isn't Aussie?

Guest GeorgeD

She isn't Australian, so it won't hold as much sway as it would if she were. But it's an important statement and it helps explain your situation and evidence. I would say it is a good idea to do it by the book and get someone to witness her statement. A JP would do...or anyone else from that list. It doesn't need to be all the same person, they can all be witnessed and certified by someone different if you want.

Guest GeorgeD

Shop around...people have had wildly different prices from solicitors in the same town before. It seems to be cheaper to get everything done at the same time.

Thanks George!! So I wouldn't need to certify my evidence? I will look into Justice of the Peace and see if I can locate one. Sorry to pop another one in but would I also need him to certify stat decs, or do they just need to be signed by an Australian? Just thinking I could get the two done at the same time haha. Somehow even when I have my head around it a new part steps in and I get confused again.

We didn't have the stat decs we wrote signed by anyone because we were in the UK and they do not count as stat decs if not done in Australia (or something - I could be slightly confused about this). Our declarations from others about our relationship were done by family in Australia so these were official stat decs and they were signed by an appropriate authority. So if you are in the UK you don't need to worry about getting the stat decs signed, but you could get them done by the same person who certifies your offiical docs if you want.

Archived