travelling alone

hey everyone.... Im a 24 year old female and travelling over to oz in a few months time by myself! I was initially going out with a friend but she cant go now. Im hoping to get a job as a nurse out there and then travel for a bit then go back to work for a bit and so on.Is anyone else planning on doing this? Im just trying to get chatting to people as Im getting quite nervous about going out myself now. Hope to hear from some of you soon :) :xmas23:x

Hi Steph

Im probably not going to be much help I'm afraid. I have just emigrated with my hubby and 3 yr old, we are living south east of Melbourne, but I wanted to reassure you that it's a fab place, the people are very friendly and you are incredible brave but don't be put off, if your travels bring you my way please send us a message. Good luck, hope it all works out for you xx

I came out when I was 24 and I was coming with a mate who backed out - he got married. I doubt you will have any problems. Book yourself into a hostel or a hotel for a couple of weeks. perhaps a furnished flat, until you get something more suitable. Google 'Meet ups' for some social groups to join, as soon as you get here, if you are lonely.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, when are you going over? Im going in May, flying into Brisbane. Im also going alone! I have a few contacts but no friends as such. I will be 29. Im also a nurse and planning the same thing, work for a bit and travel for a bit ( well a bigger bit lol). would be great to chat.

Hi Steph,

Don't worry, you will have an amazing time, and to be honest you will probably find you will have a better experience out in Australia on your own. If you travel with someone you tend to spend time with them and rely on them whereas if you are on your own you are forced to get out there, meet new people and accept oppourtunities you might not bother with if you had a companion.

I did the same thing but in the opposite direction - I left Oz at 21 and worked in the UK and backpacked around Europe all on my own, even to some of the dodgier countries, and almost 14 years on, am still here, for another 3 more weeks anyway. I had the most amazing experience, met the coolest people, and being on my own I had a completely different trip to what I would have had if I had done it with a friend. Just keep your head screwed on, and make the most of every experience you get. You will have a fabulous time!

I'm going to Brisbane on my own too in two weeks. I don't know nobody there. I'm 31 single male and I'm sure everything is going to be fine. I'm so happy to hear that there are other people going on their own. I wish you good luck in finding new friends. I don't think you gonna have problems with other things.

Archived