Mrs NOT happy in Perth at all!!!

Guest Londoner786

Hi Bibbs,

Mrs is 30 , I am 37, we live in the CBD overlooking the river swan. Its a nice enough place and close to work so walking distance to various shops and work made it conveinient really.

Let me know of some nice places , any help in mind let me know :)

If you are after Thai there is a lot of choice in VicPark .. I'd also suggest looking in Mt Lawley etc. up Beauford Street.

I do find women need more friends than blokes, but I'd suggest that a few months isn't enough time.

I've spoken to a few others on here, maybe after Xmas / NY we should meet for a brew in the city on a Friday night or something.

Hi Bibbs,

Mrs is 30 , I am 37, we live in the CBD overlooking the river swan. Its a nice enough place and close to work so walking distance to various shops and work made it conveinient really.

Let me know of some nice places , any help in mind let me know :)

There are a few nice restaurants at Cottesloe that have great sea views to enhance the dining experience. Doesn't have to be pricey either. Try further up the Coast at Scarborough and past Trigg there are restaurants and coffee shops all the way up to Hillarys. At Hillary's, if you've not visited allready there are lots of restaurants, pubs, clubs, coffee shops and a nice atmosphere. It gets really busy mind you, by Perth standards that is. There will still be free parking but lots of people around. It has a great pub there, the breakwater, won Australias best pub award last year. Only problem is it should have got Australias most expensive too, but it's not a place you would go to get smashed, more just for a couple of relaxing drinks. in one of the 3 or 4 bars. Upstairs is a lot quieter but if you are in your 30's you might love it downstairs on the deck.

My missus got one of those groupon things off the net for the Breakwater where we got a bottle of Moet and tapas for 2 for $60. I thought the tapas would be a bit light on for that price but it was excellent. We went one lunchtime and what we thought might be a cheapish afternoon out didn't pan out like that. We were in such a good mood after the champagne, nice day, nice surrounds, that we had a few more drinks and had to get our son to pick us up about 8:00 pm.

I think there are some great things to do in Perth that you need to look into that you wouldn't be able to do in London, or in a pacific Island for that matter. Boat cruise and winery tour up the river, brilliant day out, couple of days in rottnest snorkelling the dive trail, drinking in the pub with the live band on Saturday night, views of Perth in the distance.

Do you know anyone with a boat to make the most of your surrounds. Wouldn't be like sailing up the Thames you know.

All the best, Perth is great once you get a circle of friends and know where to go. I think you have only scratched the surface yet, especially if you are in the CBD without a car.

Guest Londoner786
If you are after Thai there is a lot of choice in VicPark .. I'd also suggest looking in Mt Lawley etc. up Beauford Street.

I do find women need more friends than blokes, but I'd suggest that a few months isn't enough time.

I've spoken to a few others on here, maybe after Xmas / NY we should meet for a brew in the city on a Friday night or something.

Bibbs,

Sure , lets meet after New Years when back from holiday , hey this is the whole point to this website meeting good like minded people. I dont mind.

Any others who wanna meet up for drinks after New Years are most welcome . . . Lets do this

Regards

Fas

Guest Londoner786
There are a few nice restaurants at Cottesloe that have great sea views to enhance the dining experience. Doesn't have to be pricey either. Try further up the Coast at Scarborough and past Trigg there are restaurants and coffee shops all the way up to Hillarys. At Hillary's, if you've not visited allready there are lots of restaurants, pubs, clubs, coffee shops and a nice atmosphere.

I think there are some great things to do in Perth that you need to look into that you wouldn't be able to do in London, or in a pacific Island for that matter. Boat cruise and winery tour up the river, brilliant day out, couple of days in rottnest snorkelling the dive trail, drinking in the pub with the live band on Saturday night, views of Perth in the distance.

Do you know anyone with a boat to make the most of your surrounds. Wouldn't be like sailing up the Thames you know.

All the best, Perth is great once you get a circle of friends and know where to go. I think you have only scratched the surface yet, especially if you are in the CBD without a car.

HI Paul1Perth,

I actually did the private boat ride up the river Thames was amazing. Did dinner on the boat. Was awesome!

NO I dont know anyone who has a boat ................. hey anyone on here who has a BOAT? But boating would be a great idea. We went for 40 mins crazy speed boat ride where we were doing loops and got toally drenched! It was like a 40 mins tour on the boat close to the docks near the bell tower.

I ended up buying a cheapo car just so we could get around in and surrounding areas of Perth. Did'nt want to spend lots of money on a car. . . unfortunately my weakness are fast cars but since I have been here the trill of owning a beautiful fast car in Perth has sort of dimished , which is good for the wallet.

I have not been to Mr. Lawley , will definitely check out the places you recommended

thank you thank you

regards

HI Flags ,

Agree to the suburban site. . . even in the city CBD it feels not like a true city. I must say Canary Wharf originally was a derilic place before the American money came in with the big banks to set up the whole site. It now feels nice, it feels like a mini NyC. The surrounding areas are also nice now. We visited Sydney and Melbourne , coffee was much better in Melbourne but the city life seemed good in Sydney. Lets see what happens after PR but Perth for now. Where are you bailing to in 2 years?

Must admit I haven't been to Canary Wharf for decade and a half ....but then it wasa stirile sort of place.I never thought of it like NYC..lol...... East Perth would be closest over here to compare it to...give me Fulham any day.....but I digress..Agree Melbourne coffee far out does Perth as does dining there in general. Who knows what time will bring.

We will likely keep our house in Perth..just in case ..Always difficult to make both sides happy. A move back to Germany is possible..I like the idea of living on Gozo for awhile and see what happens(beautiful island) or do some non profit work in Cambodia(but my connection there got ill and had to vacate) or probably less likely but not long ago there,Namibia.....something about that country is captivating........

You should try putting a time limit on things. At the moment she is seeing a boring lonely future in Perth stretching out in front of her, which is getting her down and making her long for the things she can't have. Since you're on a 457 visa, I imagine your employer paid for you to relocate here, and they probably put a clause in your contract tying you in for at least 2 years. You're already 6 months in, 18 months to go. Ask her if she can make an effort (though put it in a really nice way) to enjoy Australia for the next 18 months. Then you can think about relocating somewhere else (or indeed by then you may both have settled down and actually enjoy it here!). 18 months isn't that long. Moving to a big city where you don't know anyone can be an awful experience, and she's probably still in a bit of shock. But just go through with her the reasons that you're here.

hey anyone on here who has a BOAT?

I've got the in-laws over at the moment, and they got the cummuter ferry over to South Perth yesterday .. nice Cafe and pub over there and then got the ferry back. At least it's something ;) Take in the Zoo while there.

The other weekend we went out on the Leeuwin II (tall ship), it's a few hours out to sea. They get close to Rotto and turn around. Leaves from Freo Harbour.

And if you like animals, head to Caversham wildlife park. It's a bit tatty in places, but you can hand feed 'roos.

HI Paul1Perth,

I ended up buying a cheapo car just so we could get around in and surrounding areas of Perth. Did'nt want to spend lots of money on a car. . . unfortunately my weakness are fast cars but since I have been here the trill of owning a beautiful fast car in Perth has sort of dimished , which is good for the wallet.

Agree on that one. Everything nice, is x3 the price. Hard to have a hobby, when it's so expensive to join in. There are a few guys from PistonHeads on here ..

I've got the in-laws over at the moment, and they got the cummuter ferry over to South Perth yesterday .. nice Cafe and pub over there and then got the ferry back. At least it's something ;) Take in the Zoo while there.

The other weekend we went out on the Leeuwin II (tall ship), it's a few hours out to sea. They get close to Rotto and turn around. Leaves from Freo Harbour.

And if you like animals, head to Caversham wildlife park. It's a bit tatty in places, but you can hand feed 'roos.

Agree on that one. Everything nice, is x3 the price. Hard to have a hobby, when it's so expensive to join in. There are a few guys from PistonHeads on here ..

If I was going to buy one I would definitely buy one that's been here most of its life though. No salt on the roads, no rust, don't have to chop off rusty bolts 'cos there corroded away, chassis is usually in perfect nic, even on old cars. Had heaps in the UK from mini coopers, MG's, to Lotus Cortina. The convertibles were a pain in the butt to have there, draughty as hell and leaked when it rained, which was most of the time. If I had the money and the inclination here would be a great place to have a decent convertible.

My son had an XR6 turbo Ute until recently and it was a flying machine. He spent a fair bit on it having it tuned though. The guy who bought it got a bargain as he had to get the turbo replaced about a month before he sold it.

hello,

just read your message and i do feel so sorry for your situation, your wife is going through many things i have too, me and my husband have moved around for the past 30 years....he was in the army, we came to australia with three children and it took ages to settle, i think it is knowing you are so far from home, we have lived all over the world but here it seemd to play on me more, we have been here for over ten years and i still miss home but through our kids our life is here, they have a better life as england is not as it was, as you will know, we have been back twice and regretted it and returned, when the sun shines etc this place is good, we have lived in different areas of australia but not perth. Friends who live in perth love it as there seems plenty to do and it is modern compared to alot of places over here, when we came we were sent to townsville and it was like going back in time, other places too, you need friends then you feel better, going on this site i have made friends, men go to work and when we are not working etc it is very lonely, the years i have spent wondering around on my own etc is not how it should be but through a thougthful husband I have coped and things this time around are beginning to look up, life over here is better and when you go back for a visit im sure your wife will realise it, i truely believe when you make friends things will seem better, i am not saying im right but from my own experiences i know it has helped me. It is a shame you are not were i am but keep on this site and there is bound to be people popping on looking to meet, keep your chin up both of you x

I Know how your wife feels, as really couln't settle myself am from east london & I really missed the london life, we had a great circle of friends had a very active social life. I got very depressed & it was a reall strain on my marriage as all I could think about was returning. It took my nearly 3 years to settle I now have a fantastic job which I have made some really good friends I have my mojo back but it wasn't easy & i wasn't the easiest person to live with either lol!!! For me I stopped fighting the negatives & let Oz in my life my kids were happy here why not me?? I got involved with groups & started to enjoy my life never thought I would say that I love it here but I truly do!! Going home next year for a visit so excited but am worried about what this is going to do to me emotionally as am worried I might go back to my dark days of homewickness but I will deal with that when the time comes. I really hope that she finds something to help her with her homesickness. Australia doesn't suit everyone, but for me I am glad that I didn't throw the towel in.

Hi fas

believe me you are not the only couple in this situation. Myself and my husband arrived in Perth in sept 2011 we both started work within three weeks of being here, so where very lucky. We have permanent residency and absolutely love it here. We don't have children here, come to that we don't have any family here, they are all in England. I get quite home sick some times, but just think of the reasons why we came in the first place. We have found it very hard to meet people. I think it's because we don't have children at school. We do have some lovely friends but not that many. I miss my girlie chats and just popping to friends for cuppa. We love to go out for coffee and meals. My husband ed is a motor mechanic he is from dart ford he is 43yrs old. I'm Jenny and I'm from Eastbourne East Sussex, im 45yrs old and a pharmacy assistant. We live north of the river in Kingsley, if you fancy all meeting up just message back, look forward to hearing from you.

jenny

Archived