Claiming Back Super Tax

saunders 5

Your super fund can send you your cash once your visa has been cancelled, all you have to do is request it (probably in writing) and provide details of where the money should be sent. The timing depends on how long it takes for your Australian employer to get in touch with the immigration department to get the visa cancelled. I believe the process is straightforward. I did have some friends who used an agency to get it back but lost about 300 pounds in fees, when there really is no need to use an agency. We kept our super accounts active just in case we ever came back to Australia (which we did!).

You can submit a tax return either before you leave Australia or online after you arrive in the UK once you have all the necessary paperwork. I think it took a month or so for us to get our tax refund back, and we submitted ours before we left Australia in April, that was 4 1/2 years ago.

Either way, for either case, I wouldn't count on having either by a certain time.

I've just got my Super back - I did nearly everything online from the UK - it is fairly straightforward. Check out DASP on the ATO website for what needs to be done.

You (not your employer) will have to cancel your 457 - do this online using Form 1194 from Australian Immigration website - takes about 2 weeks before this is confirmed and the ATO and your super provider are notified automatically.

The only real hassle was proving 'who I was' so that the Super provider would release the money to me - this required a copy of my passport (and driving licence for good measure) validated by a Notary Public (about GBP75 -google for one near you) and then sent over to the Super provider using the Post Office secure overseas delivery (about GBP7.50).

The whole process took about 5 weeks (would have been less if I had initiated the 'prove who you are' process whilst still in Oz), but I guess this depends on your provider - if you are in the UK, you might have to invest in a few early morning Skype calls to Oz.

My provider wanted to send the proceeds to the UK in the form of an AUD cheque, but was persuaded to pay directly in to my Oz bank account, to make transfer to GBP easy and avoid other 'bank charges' associated with paying a foreign currency cheque into a UK bank account

Archived