New to forum, family due to migrate 2013, Brisbane, Sydney Area.

Junie

Hi All, We have finally received our s175 perm res visas after 4.5years of waiting. I think we need to get over to Australia as soon as possible as my eldest is 15 and has started her first year of GCSEs. However, would it be worth staying in the UK until she finishes her first year? Will the GCSEs have any credit towards the Australian year 12 qualification? I am going through so many emotions at the moment as many people don't want us to go. We have had a death in the family and another member is in hospital. I feel as though I should stay and look after them, because that is what I do. But then I feel as though my life is over if I don't go. Anyone else have this dilemma?

Firstly congratulations on getting your visa, what an epic wait, 4.5 years!

I am not an expert in schooling and I am sure that you will get good advice from others shortly, but the school year is about to start here in Australia so unless you get here in the next few weeks she would miss the start of the school year which might not be great. I would be tempted to say that she would be better off doing as much of year 11 and year 12 here as possible. But I am not a teacher and don't have children so what do I know, well I do care about education.

:rolleyes:

Feeling like your life is over if you don't go, seems a bit drastic, of course life is not over! However equally you cannot live your life for other people and have to do what is best for you and your immediate family, patner and children that is.

Deaths in the family happen, every migrant will experience it and will get "the call", I have had "the call" twice. To be a successful migrant you have to be able to accept that this is going to happen and be prepared for the scenario of maybe not seeing people again and being on the other side of the world when they need you. It takes an amount of independence to be a successful migrant and it is hardest for those that generally have very close family ties.

Archived