Best bank to go with?

Woo1982

Hi All,

We are moving out to Perth at the beginning of April but are looking to set up a bank account before then and transfer money over. If anyone has any advice on the best bank to do this with in terms of exchange rates and lowest transfer fees I'd be really grateful!

Many thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Currency exchange - got this tip from my sis who uses them for UK to Spain.

They are amazing and super efficient - cheaper than any other exchange quote we got.

HiFX

Dont use regular banks. They bounce the currency through a couple of markets [uK to Switzerland to NY to Singapore to Oz] to supposedly get preferential rates, but each market creams off a little bit, as the rate changes.

Banks here for your account. We started with Commonwealth but the fees in the BIG banks are ridiculous. We've heard good things about MECU Credit Union which works like a building society. We've had our kids savings and term deposits there and have been very impressed.

Shop around. The biggies arent necessarily the best.

Guest The Pom Queen

NAB have the best reputation in banks plus they don't charge you monthly fees like the others. To transfer your money look at Moneycorp and have a chat with John on here.

Guest Ptp113
We do all our banking with Westpac

After a recent experience I tend to agree. Would have said they were the worst just a month earlier.

Guest Ptp113
So everyone nominates a different bank and OP is none the wiser.

That tells you they are all basically the same and any one will do the job.

disagree. Steer clear of ANZ for a start. NAB are middling, though they come across as the best by far service wise, until you have a problem. Then the lack of substance is all too apparent.

NAB have the best reputation in banks plus they don't charge you monthly fees like the others. To transfer your money look at Moneycorp and have a chat with John on here.

Wondering... Isn't Moneycorps the organisation promoted by this site?

Guest The Pom Queen
Wondering... Isn't Moneycorps the organisation promoted by this site?

Yes that's correct, however, on a personal level we used them 10 years ago after positive feedback and I have never seen anything negative said since

Hi Woo1982,

We are moving out to Brisbane on Feb 05th and I was looking for exactly what you are. Google "TOR FX" , they are a money transfer/exchange company based in the UK. They appear to offer good exchange rates compared to standard banks and will complete the transfer free of charge. They give a better rate as they take only 1% off from the rate they get it at to the rate they offer the customer, where as the high street banks take as much as 4%. The minimum transfer is £2000.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi All,

We are moving out to Perth at the beginning of April but are looking to set up a bank account before then and transfer money over. If anyone has any advice on the best bank to do this with in terms of exchange rates and lowest transfer fees I'd be really grateful!

Many thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Archived