Melbourne

• 1 month later...

Imagine you are going to Mallorca for your summer holiday and on the first night there, you pick a bar, any bar, you go in, order a drink, see who is alongside you at the bar, maybe chat to the barman/maid, say 'Hi, this is my first day in Mallorca - joke!

Last night I stood on the pavement outside the Madison hotel looking at the fireworks shooting up from over Chinatown and a woman stopped to talk to me for a second on her way to the station. I asked her name, where she lived, if she had a partner.

In the Evening Star I was watching a show on one of the screens, interesting, a countdown of British rock stars commentated on by Aussies - like those shows on Channel 4? 100 best bogs? The barman turned it off and on to the football - FA Cup and I turned to another bloke nearby and talked to him about it.

In the Strawberry Hills hotel a bit later I got talking to two blokes who came in separated to the pub, neither of whom I knew, and both shook my hand.

Even if you do get to meet up with some fellow Poms from PIO, you won't be any closer to them than any Aussie you might speak to in any pub. Pick a pub and it could be the first night in your first 'local' in Australia. If there's a photo on the wall, or a drink you don't recognize, speak to someone, ask what it is. I am not particularly outgoing myself and have to 'push' myself (HARD) to talk to strangers, but it's worth it.

• 1 month later...

Archived