Management Accountant (CIMA) - Looking for advice

Alant

Hello, my wife (main applicant) and I are in the process of completing our permanent residency 189 visa and plan to move to Perth in August 2013.....can't wait!!!

I'm not overly worried that I don't have a job sorted yet but ideally I'd like one sorted before we go but I appreciate that this may not happen.

What I was wanting to know is what the Perth job market for accountants (I'm CIMA qualified) is like at the moment? I'm hearing stories that it isn't as vibrant as it has been but I'm hopeful that this isn't the case! I'm hoping that the experience I have working for one of the big 6 power/gas suppliers in the UK (as well as the Media & Financial Services industry) will put me in a favourable position in trying up get a job (fingers crossed)!!

It would be great to hear from others who have been in a similar position to mines, let me know how you got on and if you have any useful advice on the job hunting process!

Cheers, Alan

Hi Alan,

I can't comment on Perth or the permanent job market but I spent a year in Australia on a WHV last year and managed to secure contracts for two energy companies whilst there. I am also a CIMA qualified accountant and my experience was that CIMA is a well respected qualification and once you have energy sector experience you are definitely in with a strong shout - I didn't have prior energy sector experience for the first contract but having it for the second contract really helped me secure the role.

I have read on here that it's rare to secure anything from outside the country so I wouldn't be disheartened if you don't manage to secure anything before getting there.

Best of luck,

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I can't comment on Perth specifically but I too am a CIMA qualified accountant and though I'm in Sydney, I found that employers here love UK accountants and I had no trouble securing a job! I did most of the work before I arrived (I did book a 3 week reccie though in which I had "final interviews" with a few companies) which helped alot but all the ground work and initial interviews were done by phone and skype.

You'll find that most Australian accountants come up through chartered backgrounds so corporates def prefer accountants from abroad as experience counts for alot more here than in the UK. I reckon with your background, you'll be fine.

Good Luck!

My wife is also CIMA qualified and she's secured a job within 6 weeks despite starting her search in January, a typically quite month. In the end she was offered 2 positions and had quite offers for an interview. I would suggest the Sydney market is good and CIMA coupled with UK experience appears to be quite a hit with Aussie companies.

Sounds like you should have no trouble with your experience. Good luck.

My wife is also CIMA qualified and she's secured a job within 6 weeks despite starting her search in January, a typically quite month. In the end she was offered 2 positions and had quite offers for an interview.

Hi Bromney, thanks for the reply. Was your wife in the UK or Australia when she got the job offers? I'm still in the UK and it's proving a little tricky to get a role as the feedback I'm getting is that the task will be easier when I'm in Australia.

Hi,

I can't comment on Perth specifically but I too am a CIMA qualified accountant and though I'm in Sydney, I found that employers here love UK accountants and I had no trouble securing a job! I did most of the work before I arrived (I did book a 3 week reccie though in which I had "final interviews" with a few companies) which helped alot but all the ground work and initial interviews were done by phone and skype.

You'll find that most Australian accountants come up through chartered backgrounds so corporates def prefer accountants from abroad as experience counts for alot more here than in the UK. I reckon with your background, you'll be fine.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the response Katiem - I have friends in Sydney who are CIMA qualified and they had no problems securing roles (albeit while they were in Sydney).

I'm going to keep trying until we head out in August and hopefully get something sorted!

Hi Bromney, thanks for the reply. Was your wife in the UK or Australia when she got the job offers? I'm still in the UK and it's proving a little tricky to get a role as the feedback I'm getting is that the task will be easier when I'm in Australia.

Hi. We were in Sydney when she secured a role but she didnt apply for any jobs while in London. Why dont you apply direct to companies rather than agents? It might be worth sending speculative CV's to the mining companies and the like?

Hi. We were in Sydney when she secured a role but she didnt apply for any jobs while in London. Why dont you apply direct to companies rather than agents? It might be worth sending speculative CV's to the mining companies and the like?

Totally agree with this, applying direct to companies is much better than using agencies/seek etc.

I found LinkedIn had loads of job vacancy listings and used that as the basis of my search.

Good luck.

• 5 months later...
Totally agree with this, applying direct to companies is much better than using agencies/seek etc.

I found LinkedIn had loads of job vacancy listings and used that as the basis of my search.

Good luck.

Second that, don't restrict yourself by only going down one avenue pursue as many as you can. Never used linked in before but I'm on it now so thanks do that tip!

Archived