Visa Issue - Transferring to mu Companies office in Sydney

eadesman

Hi All,

Towards the end of the year I will be moving to Sydney. My company in London want to send me to their Sydney office to work for them.

As I understand it, this will need to be done on a 457 visa. I am a Software Developer and the skilled occupations list says that I need a degree to be eligible for this occupation in Australia. I don't have a degree, I just have a diploma (one level lower) and have been working as a Software Developer for around 2.5 years.

Will my lack of a degree be a problem. After all, I'll be doing the same job in Sydney as I'm doing in London and for the same employer.

I'm not interested in permanent residency at this point in time.

Thanks

Chris

This seems odd to me because your company WANT you to go to Sydney to work for them. If there is a potential problem with your visa then wouldn't they have considered this already? See whichever department of your company is organising it and ask them. Or contact the Immigration Dept yourself.

As I say, it seems odd. Why would you worry about a problem with your visa when your company already wants you to go? If you can't go, you can't go. Problem solved. You won't get in without the visa.

Email my friend Tom in Sydney to see what kind of jobs you can do if you like. He is in IT recruitment.

"Tom Hitchcock" <tom@it-matters.com.au>,

Companies often don't know much about visas. My husbands employer wanted to sponsor him, but they couldn't.

I had two employers try to sponsor me while I was in the uk, and one here in oz and they couldn't. Even the (waste of money) agents didn't know the rules well enough to tell them they couldn't sponsor me. Willingness doesn't equal ability.

It is a 457 visa ... I doubt very much that a degree is required. Why do you think that it is?

I thought a degree was still required because the 457 visa has to specify a job from the skills shortage list (or whatever it's called) and the role of software developer is on the list as requiring a degree.

I thought a degree was still required because the 457 visa has to specify a job from the skills shortage list (or whatever it's called) and the role of software developer is on the list as requiring a degree.

The skilled occupation list is just a list of occupations, what do you mean it is on the list "needing a degree".

If you were applying for a permanent visa, then there is something called a skills assessment and sometimes that can require a degree. But you are not applying for a permanent visa, you are not doing a skills assessment and therefore I am baffled as to why you think you will need a degree for a 457 visa application. It seems to me like you are worrying over nothing..

This page:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-457/

Says that the worker has to have an 'eligible occupation' according to the 'consolidated sponsored occupations list'.

This list states that software developers should have a degree as per this page: http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/d/developer-programmer.htm#SKIL

I only have 2 - 2.5 years of experience and a Diploma (one less than a degree) although I do have a specific certification in the technology that I work with.

This is why I think I need a degree for the 457 visa.

Edit: Further down the last linked page under the ' Program eligibility' section. It says that people with this occupation may be valid for a 457 (long stay) visa.

Second edit: Skill requirementsSubclass 457 visa applicants are required to demonstrate that they have the skills and experience necessary to perform the nominated occupation.

What do you think?

The 457 visa is less strict on those things than for the skills assessments you need for the permanent visas. I would try to encourage your company to employ a registered migration agent to look over your cv and the job description.

I can recommend George Lombard. Unfortunately (as I found) there are a few out there who don't know what they are talking about until forced to look into more detail, of course after they have told you all is good, and taken your money.

This page:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-457/

Says that the worker has to have an 'eligible occupation' according to the 'consolidated sponsored occupations list'.

This list states that software developers should have a degree as per this page: http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/d/developer-programmer.htm#SKIL

I only have 2 - 2.5 years of experience and a Diploma (one less than a degree) although I do have a specific certification in the technology that I work with.

This is why I think I need a degree for the 457 visa.

Edit: Further down the last linked page under the ' Program eligibility' section. It says that people with this occupation may be valid for a 457 (long stay) visa.

Second edit: Skill requirementsSubclass 457 visa applicants are required to demonstrate that they have the skills and experience necessary to perform the nominated occupation.

What do you think?

I have already told you what I think, it is just a 457 visa and you are over thinking this. You do not need to pass skills assessment for a 457 visa.

I have already told you what I think, it is just a 457 visa and you are over thinking this. You do not need to pass skills assessment for a 457 visa.

I don't think I need to pass a skills assessment. The immi website just makes it clear that you have to meet the skills and experience on the occupations list to be eligible for a 457 visa and my for occupation, that includes a degree.

I just read this on the Sydney University recruitment page where they talk about hiring people on a 457 Visa.

The applicant must have the skills, qualifications and experience to match those required for the position for which they have been nominated. Generally, the minimum required is a relevant degree and at least three years' work experience in a related field, although the amount of experience required can vary depending on the position.

Any thoughts?

I just read this on the Sydney University recruitment page where they talk about hiring people on a 457 Visa.

The applicant must have the skills, qualifications and experience to match those required for the position for which they have been nominated. Generally, the minimum required is a relevant degree and at least three years' work experience in a related field, although the amount of experience required can vary depending on the position.

Any thoughts?

are you going to be working for Sydney University. Many people that don't meet the requirements for skilled migration go down the 457 route. You have already spoke to an agent. From your previous thread on the same subject. If company is approved business sponsor and have the work experiance. ACS is one of the assessing authority's that you can use work experience in place of a degree.

are you going to be working for Sydney University. Many people that don't meet the requirements for skilled migration go down the 457 route. You have already spoke to an agent. From your previous thread on the same subject. If company is approved business sponsor and have the work experiance. ACS is one of the assessing authority's that you can use work experience in place of a degree.

No I won't be working for the University. I was just using their recruitment page as an example.

The agent I spoke to did sound clueless, he sounded quite unsure of himself. He kept putting me on hold to check with his manager. I wasn't filled with confidence.

I understand what you're saying about experience but I'm not sure that I have enough as the SOL says 5 years can be used in place of a degree. I'm not sure if this only applies to PR visa applicants rather than 457 applicants though.

Any thoughts?

Why do you keep asking? You won't listen to any answers. I cannot keep saying the same thing over and over. So I will try something different..

" no you have no chance of getting a 457 as you don't have a degree."

Happy? I think that is what you want to be told because you won't listen to anything else.

Why do you keep asking? You won't listen to any answers. I cannot keep saying the same thing over and over. So I will try something different..

Happy? I think that is what you want to be told because you won't listen to anything else.

I think his/her concerns are very real, not sure why you are dismissing them.

I would be more than happy if I knew you were right. Do you have a link to something that shows that with the 457 visa a degree doesn't matter for my occupation because I can find literature on the immi site that says I may need a degree.

Thanks

If the company is paying for the visa why not just go through the application process and see what happens?

As someone who has been there, sold their car, started selling off everything they own etc, and then have the visa not happen, I can see exactly why op wants to know how likely this is to happen. An agent is going to be able to advise way better than us though.

Hi All,

Towards the end of the year I will be moving to Sydney. My company in London want to send me to their Sydney office to work for them.

As I understand it, this will need to be done on a 457 visa. I am a Software Developer and the skilled occupations list says that I need a degree to be eligible for this occupation in Australia. I don't have a degree, I just have a diploma (one level lower) and have been working as a Software Developer for around 2.5 years.

Will my lack of a degree be a problem. After all, I'll be doing the same job in Sydney as I'm doing in London and for the same employer.

I'm not interested in permanent residency at this point in time.

Thanks

Chris

For a 457 visa you will need to meet the "skill level" for the occupation being nominated.

For a software developer you will require a relevant Degree Qualification OR 5 years of relevant experience.

As this is what is classified as an “inter office transfer” you may be able to obtain some skill level exemptions.

The combination of your Diploma and experience may be enough, however, it is not a straight forward case and should be researched well, before any irreversible decisions are made.

The skilled occupation list is just a list of occupations, what do you mean it is on the list "needing a degree".

If you were applying for a permanent visa, then there is something called a skills assessment and sometimes that can require a degree. But you are not applying for a permanent visa, you are not doing a skills assessment and therefore I am baffled as to why you think you will need a degree for a 457 visa application. It seems to me like you are worrying over nothing..

There are many occupations which require a Degree Qualification to meet the skill level requirement for a 457 visa.

I would be more than happy if I knew you were right. Do you have a link to something that shows that with the 457 visa a degree doesn't matter for my occupation because I can find literature on the immi site that says I may need a degree.

Thanks

If you want links and references to immigration law then you need to pay somebody for an opinion. This is a free internet forum. And in my experience 457 visa applicants do not need degrees and do not need to pass skills assessment.

Archived