Moving Back to the UK - Shipping Advice

Ozinoz

Hi!

After living here for a few years, my English Hubby and I have decided to live in the UK instead. I have the Right of Abode in the UK so no issues for me to live there.

As I have lived in Oz all my life, I would like to take some of it with me... about 30 tea chest size boxes would suffice. We are on a tight budget and was wondering if anyone had any good experiences with an International Mover.

I am looking at Seven Seas Worldwide as their prices are so good but am worried about the negative reviews they have been given.

We are in Sydney. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers :)

We're considering Wridgeways for our move back to the UK, probably about the same number of boxes but some selected furthniture as well. Their customer service seems good and a few returnees have used them.

Where in the UK will you be moving to? It doesn't make a difference I'm just nosey!

Due to the job market here being a tad iffy I'm investigating the cost of moving stuff back.

Is it not a good idea to sell furniture here on gumtree and buy new in the UK? The money 2nd hand here would probably able you to buy new in the UK due to the price difference. The size of furniture issue comes to mind as well.

Thanks for the quick replies :)

I have requested a quote from Wridgeways so we will see how they compare.

Any other suggestions would also be very much appreciated.

We are moving to Suffolk which is where his family is to start but may end up anywhere depending on jobs.

ebay is better than Gumtree for selling furniture... you just say you accept offers and end the listing when you get a message offer for cash on pickup, so no fees except what it cost to list ;)

Hi guys, sorry to hear you are moving back to the uk. We moved back to the UK in May 2012 and to be honest it was the worst think we have done. The economy is real bad at the moment and we are still in the recession. I know you are probably moving back for your own reasons and I'm not trying to put you off but I wouldn't recommend returning and this is just my opinion. Anyway we used OSS World Wide Movers, we found these to be great as they emptied the house in 1 day although we did prepare a lot of stuff ready for them, they have their own website too. Good luck :)

Hi!

After living here for a few years, my English Hubby and I have decided to live in the UK instead. I have the Right of Abode in the UK so no issues for me to live there.

As I have lived in Oz all my life, I would like to take some of it with me... about 30 tea chest size boxes would suffice. We are on a tight budget and was wondering if anyone had any good experiences with an International Mover.

I am looking at Seven Seas Worldwide as their prices are so good but am worried about the negative reviews they have been given.

We are in Sydney. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers :)

Hi -subject not on removalists but right of abdode - you will also have to have habitual residencey -I have posted previoulsy on this subject if you can fidn the thread

Hi -subject not on removalists but right of abdode - you will also have to have habitual residencey -I have posted previoulsy on this subject if you can fidn the thread

Hi, I have a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right ofAbode, there are no restrictions for moi! :) I can live & work, leave and go back to the UK anytime within the validity of my Australian Passport. It is a Statutory Right and has nothing to do with my marriage. After 5 years of living in the UK I will get UK Citizenship and hold Dual Nationalities thus avoiding the annoyingly expensive Marriage Visa stuff we forked out for here in OZ :/

Hi guys, sorry to hear you are moving back to the uk. We moved back to the UK in May 2012 and to be honest it was the worst think we have done. The economy is real bad at the moment and we are still in the recession. I know you are probably moving back for your own reasons and I'm not trying to put you off but I wouldn't recommend returning and this is just my opinion. Anyway we used OSS World Wide Movers, we found these to be great as they emptied the house in 1 day although we did prepare a lot of stuff ready for them, they have their own website too. Good luck :)

Sorry to hear that Andy :( It will be the first time living in the UK for me and I am very much looking forward to the history and culture and being able to pop over to Europe on holiday with my Hubby on the super cheap flights :) I think everyone is in Recession at the mo so you just have to look at the bright side of wherever you are living. Although I may eat my words come next Winter LOL Thanks for the recommendation, I will be packing myself but I shall request a quote from OSS too.

Hi, I have a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right ofAbode, there are no restrictions for moi! :) I can live & work, leave and go back to the UK anytime within the validity of my Australian Passport. It is a Statutory Right and has nothing to do with my marriage. After 5 years of living in the UK I will get UK Citizenship and hold Dual Nationalities thus avoiding the annoyingly expensive Marriage Visa stuff we forked out for here in OZ :/

Hi -we had Right of Abode as we were born in the UK and hold UK passports - right of abode though is not Habitual Residency and we had to go through a very gruelling interview with the DHSS to get residency in 2001 - we were trying to claim a rates rebate nothing else At first they said NO we could not have it as we had left family in Oz plus a bank account My children wer 43 & 44 at the time and our Oz bank acount was kept open because our Australian pensions were being paid into it at the time Have a look on the web at Habitual Residency UK and it does give you information

I think the post was referring to the habitual residency test - I am a British Citizen, born in the UK, lived there until 4 years ago and have a British passport but will still have to pass the test. It is unrelated to the right to live there and is related to benefits, including universal benefits which everyone gets and are not means tested.

Worth looking into but not a showstopper - it can take up to 6 months to prove habitual residency after you move.

I think the post was referring to the habitual residency test - I am a British Citizen, born in the UK, lived there until 4 years ago and have a British passport but will still have to pass the test. It is unrelated to the right to live there and is related to benefits, including universal benefits which everyone gets and are not means tested.

Worth looking into but not a showstopper - it can take up to 6 months to prove habitual residency after you move.

Oh... well I won't be applying for benefits and we have reciprocal Medicare agreement with the NHS so healthcare is covered and I am never sick anyway LOL I tried to organise a National Insurance Number over the phone but apparently I have to rock up and apply in person but I can work without one anyway :)

Would there be anything else it is required for?

Hi -we had Right of Abode as we were born in the UK and hold UK passports - right of abode though is not Habitual Residency and we had to go through a very gruelling interview with the DHSS to get residency in 2001 - we were trying to claim a rates rebate nothing else At first they said NO we could not have it as we had left family in Oz plus a bank account My children wer 43 & 44 at the time and our Oz bank acount was kept open because our Australian pensions were being paid into it at the time Have a look on the web at Habitual Residency UK and it does give you information

Oh I see... thanks for the info :) We will be staying with Hubby's family at first whilst we look for work. No kids yet and Hubby is already Registered with a Doctor etc in the UK when he went back on a visit last year. He has a current UK Drivers Licence and to be honest there is nothing to say that he ever left except for his Passport and a Marriage Certificate that says he married an Aussie chick in Australia ;)

It may be worth speaking with Crown Relo, we used them to ship our stuff here and as its Crown relo here too im sure they will offer a similar service but in reverse.. Good Luck with your move Cal x

Thanks Cal, shall give them a whirl too :)

Archived