Sea Freight Marine Insurance

Ozinoz

Can anyone tell me what percentage of the value of the goods they paid for theirs?

I am probably going to go with Seven Seas Worldwide and take out Total Loss Insurance. They already include $100 per box so with 30 boxes I am covered for $3000. It is then up to me to value my stuff and pay the difference times 5%.

Is 5% a good rate or should I be looking to insure through an external company?

Also has anyone ever had to make a claim?

Guest Guest62720

I am a Director of Insure-Your-Move.com.

As cover is very restricted - eg total loss of all the boxes only (not just one or two) then we would expect you to pay no more than 1% on the value of your goods at the most. Please carefully read the conditions so you fully understand just how limited the cover actually is.

We elected some time ago NOT to offer Total Loss Cover as we do not believe it provides the customer with the real protection they need for an international move but you may want to try Letton Percival for a rate comparison. They are a competitor of ours who we respect and who may offer Restricted Cover (Total Loss).

IYM

I am a Director of Insure-Your-Move.com.

As cover is very restricted - eg total loss of all the boxes only (not just one or two) then we would expect you to pay no more than 1% on the value of your goods at the most. Please carefully read the conditions so you fully understand just how limited the cover actually is.

We elected some time ago NOT to offer Total Loss Cover as we do not believe it provides the customer with the real protection they need for an international move but you may want to try Letton Percival for a rate comparison. They are a competitor of ours who we respect and who may offer Restricted Cover (Total Loss).

IYM

Cheers IYM :)

Sorry, I am a donger... I didn't read the whole thing properly... very tired at the mo with all the things to do :/

The boxes are covered for total loss at $100 per box in the quoted shipping fee.

The 5% of value Insurance is for All Risk Insurance. I understand that I am responsible for breakages (as I am packing myself but I can pack like no other LOL), Customs and Quarantine. What I want to be covered for is theft, damage (eg a crate falls on my boxes and squashes them) and having them sink or thrown overboard etc... i.e. anything beyond my control.

I would definitely be happy to insure with someone else, in fact I think it would be preferable if it is indeed possible?

Archived