A proper curry in sydney

Why just it have to be 'just like at home?' Why can't it be just like they make it in Sydney? There is a restaurant just down Elizabeth St from my place in Surry Hills whose name I can't think of but it is opposite 'Wanderer' bar. I have eaten there and enjoyed it and its clientele is almost exclusively taxi drivers from all over India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. (I asked one of the waiters where they all came from - just one country or all over the sub-continent?)

There are a number of other 'cheap and cheerful' buffet style 'Indian' places in both Eizabeth St and Crown St and in other suburbs, again heavily patronised by 'genuine' Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi taxi drivers.

Cleveland has a number of 'proper' Indian restaurants whose names again escape me except for 'Mad Cow' where I have eaten and enjoyed my meal.

There's another Indian place on Parramatta Road, Annandale, on the north side, another I can't remember the name for, but, judging from all the cricket souvenirs, is hugely popular with visiting cricket teams.

But, BUT, it does not matter how much you emphasise that these restaurants are all run by 'genuine' Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis, there are people on PIO who maintain that the only place you can obtain a 'proper' Indian curry is, NOT on the sub-continent, strangely enough, but in the UK. If you are one of those, you will be forever disappointed.

I actually had a rather good chicken curry in my 'new' local, the KB hotel in Foveaux St. They do 'Aussie' food, but do have one curry on the menu. I've only just started going there with my friend Kurt but it's already our new favourite Surry Hills pub.

If you can't find a decent Indian, then change to Thai. Personally, I prefer a green or red Thai curry anyway.

The one in Annandale is called Surjits and is more like an Anglo Indian restaurant , a bit expensive but good. Lots of the Indian and Nepalese girls I worked with in Sydney recommended going to Harris Park near Paramatta for 'authentic ' Indian food . there is also lots of good places in Homebush which has a big Sri Lankan community.

Surjits? Thanks. I guess I have a bee in my bonnet about what constitutes 'authentic' Indian food, and if I see it is cooked by 'Indians' and there is a mob of 'Indian' taxi drivers all in there on their break, then I assume it is authentic!

Homebush for Sri Lankan? I wonder if there are any Fiji-Indian places!?

I think Surjits is good it you're a chicken tikka masala eater! My in laws live in Homebush and it has gone from being almost totally white Australian when my husband was a kid, to having such a large Sri Lankan community that the majotity of the kids in the school are Sri Lankan. The Sri Lankan community tend live in the many blocks of flats in the streets around the station. One block back from the station there are some good restaurants. The Fijian Indians I worked with also recommend Harris park particularly for vegetarian , I think ther is a big Hindu temple there and the business have sprung up around it

Hey,

Jewel on the bay in Rose Bay is pretty good - like everyone says it isn't like you would get back in the UK but the food is pretty decent! I think it is BYO as well, and reasonable prices.

Good luck!

Hey,

Jewel on the bay in Rose Bay is pretty good - like everyone says it isn't like you would get back in the UK but the food is pretty decent! I think it is BYO as well, and reasonable prices.

Good luck!

I've passed that one a few times going to and from Neilsen Park or Watsons Bay for a swim. I've not been there yet but I have been to the place next door - Japanese restaurant? There are three good Thai's in Rose Bay on New South Head Road.

Maya De Dhaba Indian Restaurant on Cleveland Street in Surry Hills does a damd good indian Curry. They deliver too if your having a night in.

Just my opinion though.... I'm from Leicester so recon I have an expert curry pallate :-)

So you want a proper British curry in Australia? Not an Indian curry then.

Not this crap again

Bloke wants a curry, in Sydney. Do you know Sydney, or can help out with some suggestions? In the way that everyone else on the thread is?

It seems not. So you want to make a nobby point about what you assume him to be after. Was there really any need?

Another really good Indian Restaurant if your up for the driving is MotherIndia in Dural. Its a way out of the city about 40 mins North West but well worth the drive for a decent curry.

• 4 months later...

You'll find that an Indian in England is far better than an Indian adapted to Australians. Such as chocolate is far better in England than it is here. I'm after a place not from the cbd because I have fellow English friends joining me from Perth

Guest Ptp113
No chance......you are stuck with sweet fruity curries....forget the

beer also.

I've had curry all over Australia and never come across this sweet fruity curry. You really haven't been to Oz have you?

Guest Ptp113
You'll find that an Indian in England is far better than an Indian adapted to Australians. Such as chocolate is far better in England than it is here. I'm after a place not from the cbd because I have fellow English friends joining me from Perth

Chocolate in Blighty doesn't have much 'chocolate' (cocoa solids)in it. It really should be called vegolate as it's basically coloured fat. Truly awful stuff!

Guest The Pom Queen
No chance......you are stuck with sweet fruity curries....forget the

beer also.

Didn't know you lived in Sydney PB? I've never once had a fruity curry, what's one of them

Guest Ptp113
Vastly better than the Australian crap though

Not a patch on local chocolate. Vegolate just doesn't cut it. And to start your much needed education get some Lindsay and Edmunds organic chocolate, then you'll understand.

No you cannot get an Brit curry here as we are in Aus. We have different tastes, cooks from India rather than Pakistan so our curries are different and made for the Aussie pallet just like the Brit ones are made for the Brit palate and never the twain shall meet. Same with the Chinese. Perhaps there is a place in the market for a curry restaurant called Brit Curry House

Archived