Info re living in Canberra, ACT

Camper Babe

My husband is currently looking into state sponsorship in Canberra, ACT. As part of our visa application we have to estimate living costs. Is anyone able to help with costs like gas/electric, water rates. Also, is there an equivalent of Council Tax? I've already looked into rental properties and have a rough idea on these. Popular areas for a young family (our son is 2) and easy commute into CBD would be good as well.

Hi - come and ask us over in the ACT forum on here, there's people around to give plenty of advice. What sort of house would you be looking at? Old? New? How many bedrooms? It all makes a difference to the bills! Popular areas for young families - a lot of the British families move to either Aranda/Cook or Gungahlin. It's all easy commuting!

Hi Sunniecat, I'll ask on the ACT forum. We need a minimum of 2 beds and double carport or garage for our cars that we will bring with us. The house can be old or new and it would be nice to have a garden as well as we have a dog. Thanks for the advice. Here's to hoping!

The dog could be your stumbling block! Check out http://www.allhomes.com.au - pretty much all the rentals go on there these days and if you do an advanced search they will tell you if a place accepts pets although you can always negotiate - or try and negotiate a pet if there is a place you fancy.

Personally I am an Inner North gal - half an hour walk into Civic, close to a whole load of amenities and lots of trees - much more character than the new builds which can appear pretty soul-less. However, you don't get much bang for your buck house-wise unfortunately so what you would pay for our grotty little 3bed weatherboard on 1/4 acre would get you a 4bed+em suite on 500sqm out in the burbs. It all depends on what you want to live in.

Archived