Going back to the uk after 8 years with 2 Aussie kids

Kt Pom

We have now been in Australia for 8 years, and I have wanted to go back to the uk since having my first child 4 years ago. We have since had a second child. We had a visit from my in laws in August last year and after dropping them off at the airport my husband asked if I would like to go home, of course I said yes, so that was it decision made :). We have spent since August preparing the house for sale and welcoming our second child.

we both have relatively good jobs, and live in a beautiful part of the world but it has never truly felt like we have fit in. We are now playing the waiting game waiting for the house to sell. Some people think we are mad giving up the life and lifestyle here but we need to go home now for family reasons, and to let the kids spend time with their grandparents before its too late.

One of my questions is how do reinstate yourself in the uk? With regard to national insurance and the tax office etc, and how do I register my children with regards to the nhs in the uk?

​Thanks

Guest Geordee

Will be watching your thread as I am interested in some answers too ;) We have been here 13 years and had 4 children here and like you, made the decision last August to return. We are currently getting our house ready for sale but we are probably going to hang on here until DH gets a UK job. Have you guys got jobs to go to? I don't think we can move without one ;(

One thing we have looked into is credit rating for getting a mortgage, loans etc and after 5 years we were told your credit history is generally wiped so you may have difficulty securing anything you need a credit history for - so need to build it back up asap. We were told that getting on the electoral roll asap can help.

People think we are mad too, especially given that financially we are good here and wanting to move to an unstable economy! But at the end of the day, its not all about money - just as long as we have enough to live ok on ;)

Guest guest74886
We have now been in Australia for 8 years, and I have wanted to go back to the uk since having my first child 4 years ago. We have since had a second child. We had a visit from my in laws in August last year and after dropping them off at the airport my husband asked if I would like to go home, of course I said yes, so that was it decision made :). We have spent since August preparing the house for sale and welcoming our second child.

we both have relatively good jobs, and live in a beautiful part of the world but it has never truly felt like we have fit in. We are now playing the waiting game waiting for the house to sell. Some people think we are mad giving up the life and lifestyle here but we need to go home now for family reasons, and to let the kids spend time with their grandparents before its too late.

One of my questions is how do reinstate yourself in the uk? With regard to national insurance and the tax office etc, and how do I register my children with regards to the nhs in the uk?

​Thanks

I am also returning to Europe and would recommend you read recent posts on here as many of the questions you raise have been posed and answered by others much better than ever I could, if after reading further there are still unresolved issues please post further and the constructive ones on here will go out of their way to help, take no notice of the Oz lovers who are living in denial and find it difficult to admit that Oz does have real problems which Ozzies seem incapable of solving.

Great time to return to UK in my opinion while the dollar remains high. Especially if one of the couple has a job to slot into as well.

It is rather obvious things are on the turn in Australia but will take a little more time to kick in.

Good luck to those making the move back. Must say a place somewhere on the Sussex coast is a little tempting....

​Thanks

If you still know your NI number then it is still active and you simply start using it again. If you have no record of it then you can retrieve it quite easily - https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

Information regarding registering your children with the NHS is here http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/thenhs/records/Pages/thenhsnumber.aspx, from what i can gether you simply need register with a GP and they will then provide an NHS card.

Information on income tax is here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/tax-arrive-uk.htm

You may have to pay tax on an emergency code until you are issued with one - this means you will pay more tax than you should but you will get it back straight away as a lump sum when you receive the right code.

One of the hardest things people have found is opening a UK bank account, applying for a credit card and so on. The anti-money laundering rules make it quite hard for a new arrival. We never closed our down but if you did I suggest you leave your Australian ones open with some money in to cover the first few weeks, even when you are paying cash certain things you might need in the early weeks like car hire will require you to have a credit card.

Also be aware you are not automatically entitled to things like child benefit - you have to prove you are 'habitually resident' (ie not just there on a long holiday) - this can take up to 6 months - there have been a few threads on here before regarding this but for a quick overview look here - http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_coming_from_abroad_and_claiming_benefits_hrt/benefits_the_habitual_residence_test_introduction/how_a_decision_is_made_hrt.htm

Great time to return to UK in my opinion while the dollar remains high. Especially if one of the couple has a job to slot into as well.

It is rather obvious things are on the turn in Australia but will take a little more time to kick in.

Good luck to those making the move back. Must say a place somewhere on the Sussex coast is a little tempting....

If I spent the same money in Central Scotland as I am selling my 4 bed house on a 500 square metre block for here, I can easily buy land of at least an acre, even up to 40 acres (not that I'd want it!) with a house, a cottage and out buildings - when we left the same area four years ago we couldn't afford that!

We aren't going to - we moved out to Australia for a simpler life and it failed to deliver, now we are moving back to Scotland for a simpler life, with lessons learnt and big mortgages aren't part of the plan :)

Guest chris955

We moved to the UK last year with 10 year old Australian twins. The whole process was very easy indeed. We registered at the village GP surgery but have to choice of 3 local surgeries. Registered with a National Health dentist. Easily retreived our NI numbers. All in all it has been 95% painless.

Guest chris955

Can I ask that if you dont have anything constructive to say that you not post, especially as this is the MBTTUK section and many members are going through a very stressful difficult time.

Can I ask that if you dont have anything constructive to say that you not post, especially as this is the MBTTUK section and many members are going through a very stressful difficult time.

Thanks, I intended to try and delete my posts once I got home.

Do get citizenship if you do not already have it.

Your children presumably have it - and if they ever want to return they can. If you do not and you wish to follow in 10 - 20 years time it could be expensive/difficult/impossible without it.

I have seen many a post from people who regret not getting citizenship sometimes many years down the road.

Do get citizenship if you do not already have it.

Your children presumably have it - and if they ever want to return they can. If you do not and you wish to follow in 10 - 20 years time it could be expensive/difficult/impossible without it.

I have seen many a post from people who regret not getting citizenship sometimes many years down the road.

Me too. Very good advice.

Thanks for the responses, I will have a fair bit of reading to do! We are already citizens, we done this before deciding to move back to the uk. We don't have any jobs to go back to, or a house. We will be moving in with my in- laws, and looking for work once we arrive. My husband thinks we will be back in Australia within 3 years.???? Only time will tell!

​Thanks

It's funny to read your post as I could have written it myself as our situation is so similar. Heading home in 2 weeks and I'm really interested to find out about the NI situation also :)

It's funny to read your post as I could have written it myself as our situation is so similar. Heading home in 2 weeks and I'm really interested to find out about the NI situation also :)

I posted a link above - if you still know your NI number you just start using it again, otherwise there is a form to fill in on-line to retrieve it.

If you still know your NI number then it is still active and you simply start using it again. If you have no record of it then you can retrieve it quite easily - https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

Information regarding registering your children with the NHS is here http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/thenhs/records/Pages/thenhsnumber.aspx, from what i can gether you simply need register with a GP and they will then provide an NHS card.

Information on income tax is here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/tax-arrive-uk.htm

You may have to pay tax on an emergency code until you are issued with one - this means you will pay more tax than you should but you will get it back straight away as a lump sum when you receive the right code.

One of the hardest things people have found is opening a UK bank account, applying for a credit card and so on. The anti-money laundering rules make it quite hard for a new arrival. We never closed our down but if you did I suggest you leave your Australian ones open with some money in to cover the first few weeks, even when you are paying cash certain things you might need in the early weeks like car hire will require you to have a credit card.

Also be aware you are not automatically entitled to things like child benefit - you have to prove you are 'habitually resident' (ie not just there on a long holiday) - this can take up to 6 months - there have been a few threads on here before regarding this but for a quick overview look here - http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_coming_from_abroad_and_claiming_benefits_hrt/benefits_the_habitual_residence_test_introduction/how_a_decision_is_made_hrt.htm

Thank you Jules! I have been doing a bit of research into this too. Am I right in thinking that the children need to hold a UK passport. Essentially they are dual nationality but unless you have a UK passport there is no official record of them being British? Did anyone that's already made the move have to use a passport to register their child at the GP and getting them an NHS number?

Guest chris955
Thank you Jules! I have been doing a bit of research into this too. Am I right in thinking that the children need to hold a UK passport. Essentially they are dual nationality but unless you have a UK passport there is no official record of them being British? Did anyone that's already made the move have to use a passport to register their child at the GP and getting them an NHS number?

Our boys are Australian born and we didnt have to provide anything for doctor or school registration.

Guest Geordee

I was also wondering this with the kids, but for getting them into school.

Guest Geordee
Our boys are Australian born and we didnt have to provide anything for doctor or school registration.

That's good to know. I would prefer not to have to obtain 6 UK passports before we leave here ($$) but thought we may need them for this purpose, but I suppose also for arriving on a one way ticket.

Guest chris955
That's good to know. I would prefer not to have to obtain 6 UK passports before we leave here ($$) but thought we may need them for this purpose, but I suppose also for arriving on a one way ticket.

​We had bought a house, we were permanent residents and the question of nationality never came into it.

Archived