The beach every day ?

Que Sera Sera

Does anyone actually swim in the sea every day rather than just a walk on the beach?

Yes you do get people that swim/surf everyday. Even in winter you'll come across elderly people that swim out for miles. Day in day out. The water temperature only drops by a few degrees in winter but if course the outside temp is cold but the surfers are still out there in their wetsuits. Too cold for me though,

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because it is true. Going to the beach seems to be a British migrant thing.....most locals hardly bother

Why give the impression that Australia is all about beaches?

Its a lot more than beaches your right.........the beaches are just the icing on the cake:wink:

Ive looked after a lot of older Aussies in the coastal suburbs who's routine included a daily swim..before they got sick..it's related to where you live not your nationality. A lot of people who live beachside, do so for a reason, they like beaches..and use them often..

If we lived close to a beach, walking distance I for sure would be there every day..with the dog, I expect we would swim at least weekly in the warmer months... schedules permitting, OH likes to snorkel...he'd do that in the summer and when the water was warm enough

Does anyone actually swim in the sea every day rather than just a walk on the beach?

In summer we probably do. I go for a surf ski paddle with friends before work and have a quick swim after.

Weekends we do some long swims. In the winter we still go in and have a swim at the weekends.

There are a bunch of 60+ year olds that swim on Sunday mornings all year round. There are about 10 of them and they are usually just getting out the water after their couple of Km swim about 9:00am, when we get down there. They swim in all conditions too, it was really rough a couple of weeks back and they were still out there. Had to be a bit careful coming in.

Because it is true. Going to the beach seems to be a British migrant thing.....most locals hardly bother

Why give the impression that Australia is all about beaches?

Might be true for Brisbane, long way to a beach from there. We can be at the beach in 2 mins by car, most people who live that close use it a lot. I've found that the people that got me into the long swims, competing at events, triathlons, surf skiing are all aussies born and bred. They are the ones that have been doing it since nippers in surf club and are still doing it and enjoying it today. Gives the average pom sporty types like me something to aim for. If I can get close to a few of those guys in a race I know I am doing OK. Great way to keep fit too.

Honestly can't understand why people that live near a beach don't make the most of it.

No fortunately the beaches here anyways are beautiful and clear miles and miles of untouched and un occupied beauty. I imagine its a but different at Cottesloe and Bondi etc.

Cottesloe would be pretty busy in the mornings before work. There are a few swimming groups at a lot of beaches.

A handful perhaps....what is the population of Perth?.......and are they all out at the beach?

No they aren't all out at the beach, otherwise they would be packed every day. The ones that live close to a beach, maybe 10 mins by car would be enough to put a lot of people off bothering. We rented in Como for a year and didn't go to the beach nearly as much as we wanted to and it's only 20 minutes away. We have friends who live in Applecross and they hardly ever go. When they do come up and bring their kids they have a ball. They often say wonder what it would have been like if they had settled in a beachside suburb. They like their quarter acre block though and enjoy gardening so whatever takes your fancy. Beaches aren't compulsory, just an added bonus.

No they aren't all out at the beach, otherwise they would be packed every day. The ones that live close to a beach, maybe 10 mins by car would be enough to put a lot of people off bothering. We rented in Como for a year and didn't go to the beach nearly as much as we wanted to and it's only 20 minutes away. We have friends who live in Applecross and they hardly ever go. When they do come up and bring their kids they have a ball. They often say wonder what it would have been like if they had settled in a beachside suburb. They like their quarter acre block though and enjoy gardening so whatever takes your fancy. Beaches aren't compulsory, just an added bonus.

It's the only downfall of Brisbane the lack of good beaches. Really enjoy a trip to the Sunny Coast or Gold Coast every now and again

It's the only downfall of Brisbane the lack of good beaches. Really enjoy a trip to the Sunny Coast or Gold Coast every now and again

If I lived over there I would move to either one. The sunny coast preferably. We have some friends moving to Mooloolaba, their son was good enough to compete for their surf club and has been there a couple of years. They have now bought a house there and are going to rent out the one here and live there. Be a good place for us to visit.:cool:

Don't know anyone that goes to the beach, apart from the odd evening picnic. I often remark in summer that most folk around us are non Australians. Plenty of British back packers, French, Italians etc . During the school holidays a number of mothers of course. It's a free and easy way to keep the youngsters entertained.

I imagine that the demise of the tan to a large degree among locals has had the affect that the beach no longer plays the role it did to earlier generations.

Early morning in summer like around 6am or before is a good time. Not forgetting the dreaded wind that often makes the beach uncomfortable after noon.

If I lived over there I would move to either one. The sunny coast preferably. We have some friends moving to Mooloolaba, their son was good enough to compete for their surf club and has been there a couple of years. They have now bought a house there and are going to rent out the one here and live there. Be a good place for us to visit.:cool:

Horrible commute if you work in Brisbane though, otherwise I would consider it!

I would rather the 1 hour drive at the weekend than the couple of hours each way every day!

Don't know anyone that goes to the beach, apart from the odd evening picnic. I often remark in summer that most folk around us are non Australians. Plenty of British back packers, French, Italians etc . During the school holidays a number of mothers of course. It's a free and easy way to keep the youngsters entertained.

I imagine that the demise of the tan to a large degree among locals has had the affect that the beach no longer plays the role it did to earlier generations.

Early morning in summer like around 6am or before is a good time. Not forgetting the dreaded wind that often makes the beach uncomfortable after noon.

I think your location says it all though flag "inner city perth".

I live on the Gold Coast and it's Winter; we go to the beach at least twice a week. It's still warm, the weather is still warm, the sea is lukewarm on a good day, we walk the dog there and she loves it. I used to live about forty minutes from the beach in Norfolk, and it was a beautiful beach, but I went about once every couple of months.

Horrible commute if you work in Brisbane though, otherwise I would consider it!

I would rather the 1 hour drive at the weekend than the couple of hours each way every day!

Yep you're right. I wouldn't live in either one and commute. Too far. I'd have to get local work which I know can be hard to come by.

My friends that are moving over there are about the same age as me and aren't planning on doing much work. He's a plasterer and I remember him saying years ago, when I first got to know him, that he had earned nearly as much in cashies as I had in salary. Im in IT. They have never been short of money and the rent on their houses in Perth will bring them in a decent living I reckon.

In summer we probably do. I go for a surf ski paddle with friends before work and have a quick swim after.

Weekends we do some long swims. In the winter we still go in and have a swim at the weekends.

There are a bunch of 60+ year olds that swim on Sunday mornings all year round. There are about 10 of them and they are usually just getting out the water after their couple of Km swim about 9:00am, when we get down there. They swim in all conditions too, it was really rough a couple of weeks back and they were still out there. Had to be a bit careful coming in.

That's great - really healthy lifestyle.

Beaches are compulsory for me!! :-) I go to the beach at least once a week in the UK but unfortunately in winter this often involves looking at the sea for 2 minutes in a bracing wind and then running back to the car to get warm.

I live on the Gold Coast and it's Winter; we go to the beach at least twice a week. It's still warm, the weather is still warm, the sea is lukewarm on a good day, we walk the dog there and she loves it. I used to live about forty minutes from the beach in Norfolk, and it was a beautiful beach, but I went about once every couple of months.

Can you go in the sea all year round? What about jellies? Is there a season for them or is it just a case of don't go in if you see them on the beach?

Can you go in the sea all year round? What about jellies? Is there a season for them or is it just a case of don't go in if you see them on the beach?

This is the rule i follow! Though wouldn't be wise in Northern Australia with Box jellies!

Archived