have you suffered from anxiety since arriving in Australia?

I get the guilt thing too Kev. Particularly when the house is a tip. Getting it into order helps me do the same with my mind, so when I struggle for the motivation to get housework done it just compounds my stressy self-loathing. I feel for you having an attack in a shopping centre. It's always been one of my fears that it'll strike in a similarly crowded place with other shoppers rubber-necking. Very fortunate that your wife's a nurse I guess.

Yep! A heart attack is "more acceptable" to those who have no realisation of how debilitating an anxiety attack can be................ tell 'em it's an anxiety attack, and they see you as a "nutter", tell them it's a heart attack and they fall over themselves to help you...................all part of....................irrespective of how 'enlightened" some like to think of themselves as being, part and parcel of anything vaguely resembling a' physcholigical syptom" as being "taboo".............I guess where they're coming from...............that it's too difficult to handle (for those "neuro typicals") but until society "awakens" to the fact that "neuro typical behaviour weaknesss" is not of choice, b ut of conditioning, then many folks will feel "outcast" which only serves to exacerbate their condition.

Thanks for all your responses. I'm ok at dealing with stress, i'm a social worker after all, just it doesn't help when you go to new places where you know nobody and because I have epilepsy I worry in case anything happens and nobody around to help me. I'm made of strong stuff, and won't let it beat me, forcing myself to go out on a night in the dark, to vivid last night, with all the crowds etc.

The only other time I had panic attacks was when I was 13, just got epilepsy and lypodystrophy..don't know even how to spell it ha! Had fits every Friday night without fail, taken in an ambulance or police car/van, but much better now :-)

Mum has sent me some money to get some massages bless her!

During bad panic attacks I also feel like I am going mental, its awful, but doing my breathing, thinking positive thoughts etc.

I had a good day today, did some actual social work with a family, rather than alot of admin, which my current job is.

Thanks for your responses..x

If you have not got one, you should get a medicalert. I think the website is http://www.medicalert.com.au. At least that way people will be able to find out what the problem is if you have a fit (and not just think you are drunk as happened to a friend of mine with epilepsy).

Omg, I think you actually do work in my organisation. I'm a temp, 10 months later, so have to keep my mouth shut to a degree, but I do struggle, otherwise I could be out of work!! They take difference of opinion as negative. Oh Anycase, maybe look at why the family stress you out? Do you have a good support network in Oz, I find they really help me.

I also have lost confidence in my ability within my job, but I see so many Gen Y's getting positions they have little/no experience in, that I think, if I get a job my confidence will come back, if not they will sack me at worst! Just applying for quiet an intense social work position, papping myself with regard to having panic attacks, as with the client group I could not afford to panic, but I have to go for it. It will not beat me!! :-)

Big OMG's all round here, do we work at the same place!!! I'm very good at analyzing and advising just don't seem to be able to work it on myself!! I Really think the trick in OZ is CONFIDENCE! Seriously, I see the Gen Y's, there are big egos out there and that's what gets them in the door but I've also seen that if you can't 'walk the walk! You're OUT. The OZ workplace, in my experience, is ruthless. You have the skills and experience, I reckon you just need to get the confidence and get the right employer, there are good ones out there, as I said my husbands employers have been amazing, they completely appreciate his skills and promoted him numerous times since we got here. You need to believe in yourself and front that employer with how amazing you are, that's what works here but the difference here is when you talk the talk and get the job, you actually can walk the walk and you'll do we'll, you just need the up front confidence and balls. I'm thinking of you, I'm exactly Where you are, go for it lovely lady xxxxxxxx

If you have not got one, you should get a medicalert. I think the website is http://www.medicalert.com.au. At least that way people will be able to find out what the problem is if you have a fit (and not just think you are drunk as happened to a friend of mine with epilepsy).

When I say I don't have anyone, in my head I meant 'knowing somebody with a car I totally trust that I could call whenever' I have my aunty but she's not great in a crisis, and me and my OH don't have a car. But thanks for the info, I will def look into it. I have had the drunk thing also, in a nightclub, the bouncer thought I was drunk, uttered some thing on my way out, I got outside and he actually came out and helped me as I was having a fit outside. I write him a thank you card the next time I went in! :-)

Hi all,

having llved in South Africa before I am coping ok so far being here, but my oh who is english is struggling.

he has never been great with job changes and his anxiety has set in since he started working here. He was awake a lot at night so i got prosomnia as recommended by the pharmacist. However, he is feeling stressed and anxious in the day and i was wondering if there is anything we can get over the counter as we havent got our medicare numbers or cards yet. I will pop up there later and see what they recommed but thought i would ask here too.

​Just need to get a job so he can be a househusband and i can support the family, haha!! :)

Hi all,

having llved in South Africa before I am coping ok so far being here, but my oh who is english is struggling.

he has never been great with job changes and his anxiety has set in since he started working here. He was awake a lot at night so i got prosomnia as recommended by the pharmacist. However, he is feeling stressed and anxious in the day and i was wondering if there is anything we can get over the counter as we havent got our medicare numbers or cards yet. I will pop up there later and see what they recommed but thought i would ask here too.

​Just need to get a job so he can be a househusband and i can support the family, haha!! :)

Is it his work he doesn't like? This could be a trigger for his anxiety. Maybe look at changing jobs? With regard to medication over the counter I have no idea, however if you are waiting for you're medicare number, go into a medicare and ask for an interim number whilst waiting for your medicare card. This is something we do with our clients. :-)

Its not so much the work, he has felt like is with every job change in the uk as well and it takes him a while to settle into all his roles. Im not sure if he really doesnt like the work or if its all because its very different to what he was doing before and his expectation was that it wasnt going to be so different. He has only been there just over a week so i am trying to get his to give it a fair go. If after a few weeks or months its still the same, then of course he can look for other work, im just not sure how much of a difference it will make as it will mean yet another change and it may trigger the anxiety again. Its such a tough place to be, and i dont think i am helping as i am quite happy here, but that may because i havent started work yet!!

I suspect the work environment could be in part of the anxiety cause but that be anywhere. Is the work pattern so different here from UK these days? Both I suspect place far too much emphasis on the matter. (in hours at work, financial return, status ) But could it be more how social interaction tends to be conducted in Australia? Happier nations tend to be socially inclusive, with that more open to communicate with a greater ease, than perhaps commonly found in a more socially reserved country as Australia.

On TV last night, it said 3million people in Oz suffer from depression and anxiety. That seems alot in comparison to the amount of people in Oz. I think the'actual' figure would be higher with regards to people living rurally who may not seek help. I now know why travelling up the coast of Oz, that you see so many bill boards advertised 'beyondblue' to seek support with depression etc.QUOTE]

Ironic that 15% of the population (which probably means closer to 30% of the Adult population) suffer from depression or anxiety when Australia is constantly voted the best place in the world to live, with the highest living standards and the highest personal wealth and the lowest unemployment. Imagine if it wasn't so fantastic, how many Aussies would be depressed then! It really makes me think something is a miss with these surveys. Perhaps conditions aren't as perfect as they are made out to be.

Perhaps the high rates are simply an indication that Aussies are more ready to admit to depression/anxiety? In some support groups/seminars that I have attended, I found Aussies very "open" with regards to admitting to depression............it doesn't seem to carry the stigma that I found all too often in the UK..............mind you, that was 20 yrs ago and with little knowledge of the UK now, perhaps it's just a sign of the times, and maybe there is little difference between the two countries with regards to the reporting of depression

• 3 months later...

Well just updating you with my mental health as some of you wondered if it would improve when I got back to the UK. I arrived back a week today, still on meds but without a doubt my mental health has significantly Improved in that short time. Thinking back to over a month ago or so at its worst when I had to give my job up, couldn't be left alone and couldn't leave the flat without having a panic I'm now much more relaxed, only had a few chest flutters...it's lovely to be back in the UK.

i have no plan, only to stay a few months and see if I want to return to oz. my OH and cat are still in Sydney, and struggling with just one income but getting by. X

Well just updating you with my mental health as some of you wondered if it would improve when I got back to the UK. I arrived back a week today, still on meds but without a doubt my mental health has significantly Improved in that short time. Thinking back to over a month ago or so at its worst when I had to give my job up, couldn't be left alone and couldn't leave the flat without having a panic I'm now much more relaxed, only had a few chest flutters...it's lovely to be back in the UK.

i have no plan, only to stay a few months and see if I want to return to oz. my OH and cat are still in Sydney, and struggling with just one income but getting by. X

Thats good, hope your OH and your cat are over in the UK with you soon if you decide to stay

Good to hear that W&W. I think it is very easy to underestimate the impact of situation on depression -" magically lifted" just about described my depression for sure! Onwards and upwards hey?!

On TV last night, it said 3million people in Oz suffer from depression and anxiety. That seems alot in comparison to the amount of people in Oz. I think the'actual' figure would be higher with regards to people living rurally who may not seek help. I now know why travelling up the coast of Oz, that you see so many bill boards advertised 'beyondblue' to seek support with depression etc.QUOTE]

Ironic that 15% of the population (which probably means closer to 30% of the Adult population) suffer from depression or anxiety when Australia is constantly voted the best place in the world to live, with the highest living standards and the highest personal wealth and the lowest unemployment. Imagine if it wasn't so fantastic, how many Aussies would be depressed then! It really makes me think something is a miss with these surveys. Perhaps conditions aren't as perfect as they are made out to be.

Not having a proper pension system as in Europe doesn't help. An increasing two tier health system with mounting costs and a strong youth focus all add to the stress. Then include the isolation many feel into the equation. It's hard to get off the hamster wheel.

Perhaps the high rates are simply an indication that Aussies are more ready to admit to depression/anxiety? In some support groups/seminars that I have attended, I found Aussies very "open" with regards to admitting to depression............it doesn't seem to carry the stigma that I found all too often in the UK..............mind you, that was 20 yrs ago and with little knowledge of the UK now, perhaps it's just a sign of the times, and maybe there is little difference between the two countries with regards to the reporting of depression

20 years ago in OZ there would most certainly have been a stigma towards mental illness. Especially among blokes. Still is to a large extent but the barriers have been coming down. It would all depend where in UK you experienced.

I didn't know that you'd managed to make it back Aymie. Fingers crossed for you :smile:

I didn't know that you'd managed to make it back Aymie. Fingers crossed for you :smile:

Something had to give..I had to give up work, couldn't keep living of my OH income as only so long one wage can last, never had mental health and felt like I was losing control. My Mum had to come out and get me as I couldn't have done the trip back by myself, with the panic attacks getting worse when in an enclosed space/feeling trapped.

I WA going to come back to the UK in January 2014, then brought it forward to November, then got so bad I asked my Mum to come out in 2 weeks to bring me back. OH obviously had to keep working while I sort myself out, what the future folks etc. I came back with 300 quid!! :-( but better to have my health.

Something had to give..I had to give up work, couldn't keep living of my OH income as only so long one wage can last, never had mental health and felt like I was losing control. My Mum had to come out and get me as I couldn't have done the trip back by myself, with the panic attacks getting worse when in an enclosed space/feeling trapped.

I WA going to come back to the UK in January 2014, then brought it forward to November, then got so bad I asked my Mum to come out in 2 weeks to bring me back. OH obviously had to keep working while I sort myself out, what the future folks etc. I came back with 300 quid!! :-( but better to have my health.

i don't come on the site as much as I used to, so didn't realise that things had got even tougher for you. You have my deepest sympathies as I know how disabling panic attacks can be. I'm really pleased that you managed to get home to the UK, but very sad to hear how much the experience of moving out here cost you personally. Keep us posted on your progress back home.

i don't come on the site as much as I used to, so didn't realise that things had got even tougher for you. You have my deepest sympathies as I know how disabling panic attacks can be. I'm really pleased that you managed to get home to the UK, but very sad to hear how much the experience of moving out here cost you personally. Keep us posted on your progress back home.

thank you..yes it's very unlike me to have such bad health, travelled all around the world, visited oz over a hand full of times, travelled parts of oz alone, not in my nature I didn't think to get anxiety, but the vastness, lack of support network, unable to get a decent job...takes its toll. X

Archived