Heart wrenching dilemma

nancy and paul

So getting to that stage where it's becoming real and now need to get sorted with the dogs going to use pet air. I'm down to 2 Weimaraner's as I lost one this year who was 11. My dilemma is the wee one is only 5 and no prob and the other one is 11, as there life expectancy is 8 to 12 years I think it's to much to put him through as its not to next year. Have a really good friend who could give him a lovely retirement home if we still have him and need to leave him, but I'm thinking now just to get his jabs anyway as he might actually be one of the occasional ones that live to 14.I actually don't know if I could leave him although I know it's unfair to put him through it.

Its a hard one. Is he okay physically? How does he cope with stress and travel? Maybe have a chat with your vet at home or the vet on here. You know your dog better than anyone. If you do decide to rehome with a friend then please try not feel too guilty x

I think only you will know. If he's still fit and healthy, why not? My bitch flies on the 24th, and she's only four but she's crate-trained and it's only a 23 hour flight so less than mine. That was a comfort for me.

Thanks guys he's a terrible traveller really stresses and his back legs are starting to get a bit stiff and I know he wouldn't do well in the heat. It's my moral dilemma I need to deal with I've took in 4 cats 3 dogs over the years and paid out thousands of pounds in vet bills to keep them well and all lived a long happy life.Now I know he could have a lovely home if we leave him but when I took them all on its been a commitment for life and I don't know if I could forgive myself for rehoming him.

Thanks guys he's a terrible traveller really stresses and his back legs are starting to get a bit stiff and I know he wouldn't do well in the heat. It's my moral dilemma I need to deal with I've took in 4 cats 3 dogs over the years and paid out thousands of pounds in vet bills to keep them well and all lived a long happy life.Now I know he could have a lovely home if we leave him but when I took them all on its been a commitment for life and I don't know if I could forgive myself for rehoming him.

I think only you know the answer. We are flying in 4 weeks. I had 2 westies which I rehomed a few weeks ago. WE honestly couldn't have afforded to take both....but the main reason...my older dog has epilepsy, which is often triggered by stress. I do think that the flight would have killed her, if not that then the quarantine. My younger dog suffers from separation anxiety and I think that quarantine wouldn't have been great for her either.

We found a lovely couple who have taken on both our dogs. It broke my heart to leave them but I couldn't put them through it. They have been rehomed together, and the couple who took them often put pictures on Facebook, so I get to see them often and they look happy.

Quarantine and flights are tough on animals, but also animals are tough and vast majority come out the other side unscathed. It might be more traumatic for the dog to be separated from the family. Still with a good retirement home to go it has to be worth considering.

My cats didn't do very well in quarantine and I thought one of them was going to die as he stopped eating and drinking and they can really not go without water for that long. I used to be firmly of the opinion that pets are for life and people should always bring their pets, definitely I would bristle at people saying they could not afford to bring their pets, like their responsibility for their pet is optional, but after the experience, yes I can see why sometimes it is better to leave types behind (so long as it is not at a pound!)

i think you should get the jabs to keep your options open for a bit longer.

Personally I'd say if you have a friend you know and trust that will give him a loving home do it. Far less stressful for him than the flight the quarentine and the new homes and temperature here. Leaving him behind is just as loving as taking him. Tougher on you than him I suspect though x

Oh feel for you! I have 6year old weim, he's my big baby! We are going to struggle with the cost of taking him over but can't bare leaving him.. Weims are so loving and hate being away from their family, but you need to do what's right for the oldest one, it's such a shame, I'm sorry to hear u lost your other dog, they are a gorgeous breed! I've had many different dogs! And have to say my Barney is one of the best I've had!

Good luck! :-)

I had to make a similar decision with my cat, although he was much older (19 1/2!) at the time, so perhaps it was easier for me to make the decision to leave him. He had kidney problems and had to be on medication, and had a very weak hind end due to arthritis and muscle wastage. I left him with my Mum, who also took care of him when I lived away from 2006-2009. He was happy with Mum as she always kept a warm house and he was allowed to sleep on the sofa (couldn't with us as my OH was allergic to him). He unfortunately only lasted less than 2 months before passing away in his sleep one night. The whole thing was far more upsetting for me than it was for him. I only wish I had a crystal ball as I would have stayed the extra time knowing that's all he had. But none of us have that luxury and you just have to make the best decision you can based on what you know about your pet.

We now know we will not be staying in Oz for the long term and I'm glad we didn't get a dog or two whilst we are here. Never mind the expense of taking them back to the UK, I don't want to get a pet knowing I would have to put them through that process. But getting a dog(s) is high on our list once we do return.

If you think he stresses out at traveling and new enviroments then i would really consider leaving him with your friend. Its really hard but you would have to think how he would cope with it especially at his age. Its okay for us to say "dogs cope okay most of the time" but you know your dog. You'll feel really guilty for leaving him but you know your friend will give him a five star home and she could send you pictures and maybe even put him on skype lol. I think all believe that we'd break our dogs hearts by leaving them but i honestly believe as long as they have a kind person looking after them they dont mind as much especially if its someone they know.

There was a dog on paul o'grady's program last night and his owner had to give him up and he was really sad for a while but like after a week and a new owner he was really happy again!

Have a chat with your vet and have a good think X

We rehomed our samoyed with a woman who had lost her dog and could give our boy his final years by the beach being adored. We knew we would have to rent and at 11 we didnt wish to put him through it and move from a cold climate to a boiling hot tropical climate, he struggled in the UK summers!

I have NEVER regretted it, but I REALLY miss him, actually more now, 4 yrs on than I did intiially.

Thank you everyone for the advice and stories. This site has been a godsend over the last year of our roller coaster journey and the support and advice has been fantastic. I think I already knew the answer but had to say it out loud to actually make it sink in. We've decided over the last few days it won't be fair on him to put him through so we'll just wait and see where we are next year and delay our move if need be.xx

Thank you everyone for the advice and stories. This site has been a godsend over the last year of our roller coaster journey and the support and advice has been fantastic. I think I already knew the answer but had to say it out loud to actually make it sink in. We've decided over the last few days it won't be fair on him to put him through so we'll just wait and see where we are next year and delay our move if need be.xx

Glad you came to a decision, its always hard. Are you going for a PR visa? The three of them look gorgeous in your pic! X

Thanks stacey, yeh going on a pr just about to send back my wa ss acceptance and hopefully apply next week. What about you? I see your getting to enjoy this lovely Scottish summer to.lol

At least PR buys you some time then, thats good! I wont be going anywhere for a very long time - need to go to uni to retrain. Lol yeah you've got to love our summers - if its not raining then its being attacked by the midges!

Leaving an 11 year old dog is a hard call. I dont know if this story will help, but it might.

I recently had a client that was moving out to the regional areas (so they told me) to be closer to work. They were relatively wealthy and just sold their $2M home. They asked me to look around for a home for their 17 year old dog. They had this dog since birth and it was in very good health (ie no medication or obvious walking issues) but had slight blindness/ deafness. This was not the reason they were giving her away though, that was not found out for a long time.

So I was asked to mind this dog for a few days while the people moved their house gear and tried to see if they could keep their dog. I took it upon myself to find a new home for this dog (seeing that in the sparse communication I had, that they may have to give her up). Everyone loved her when we went on walks, but it was VERY hard to give away a healthy 17 year old dog. You can probably figure out why.

I also advertised on facebook and almost got lynched by an angry mob like it was my fault for this happening. I persisted, and the owners kept extending the stay of this dog with me. After one week of extension after extension they said that they were coming around to pick the dog up. Turns out that they didn't move to the country town (a win for the wife) but husband it seems found somewhere that had a body corporate ruling that didn't allow dogs. Somehow they got around this.

You can read things into this, but this is what I learned. Most people were very willing to criticise everyone but did not want to take the dog on. it was impractical for me too, but I was just the messenger. Didn't want to risk leaving such an old girl at a pound either. Everyone was blaming the owners (and me) and I was starting to feel like giving blame too, but I didn't and still don't have the full story.

I would never give up my dog regardless of age, but I am a dog walker, and our bond goes beyond a lot of people who work 9 to 5. However if you can even consider leaving the dog in the UK, then perhaps re-homing is the best idea?

I think that re-homing can be very tough, tougher than quarantine, but you have to weigh up what works for you. I just thought I would throw a parallel story your way for consideration. Good luck!

Deep down you know what's right for both you and your gorgeous fur baby. If you decide to rehome with your friend maybe send your woof round for the day, overnights etc... That way it will be easier for both your friend and furry to get used to the situation. A lot can change in a year. I don't envy you the dilemma. We had the same with our oldies, one 14 and one 13, they made the decision for us, one went 3 months before we committed to actually moving and the other joined her in furry heaven a month before we were due to put them in the boarding kennels.

Enjoy your time with your baby and don't let this dilemma spoil it. I don't envy you. :-(

• 1 month later...

HI Guys! I'm having the exact same dilemma - glad to see I'm not the only one!

Trying to decide whether to take 15 year old pug back to Australia with us and it's heartbreaking! Problem is I also have a 4 year old pug who is absolutely besotted by his older "brother" and I don't really know anyone here who could take him, I'd have to re-home him with someone I didn't know.

He's in perfect health and is a great traveller - he made the journey from Oz to Italy without even batting a pug eyelid!

It's the 30 days in quarantine I'm worried about! He doesn't kennel well at all. I have in the past put him on Clomicalm if I've had to kennel him, and he has coped, so maybe could try that again.

Has anyone had any experience of aged dogs surviving this trip and quarantine? Or even, horror stories of not surviving?

Thanks and Good Luck with your trip

HI Guys! I'm having the exact same dilemma - glad to see I'm not the only one!

Trying to decide whether to take 15 year old pug back to Australia with us and it's heartbreaking! Problem is I also have a 4 year old pug who is absolutely besotted by his older "brother" and I don't really know anyone here who could take him, I'd have to re-home him with someone I didn't know.

He's in perfect health and is a great traveller - he made the journey from Oz to Italy without even batting a pug eyelid!

It's the 30 days in quarantine I'm worried about! He doesn't kennel well at all. I have in the past put him on Clomicalm if I've had to kennel him, and he has coped, so maybe could try that again.

Has anyone had any experience of aged dogs surviving this trip and quarantine? Or even, horror stories of not surviving?

Thanks and Good Luck with your trip

Wow 15! Thats so old! Have you spoke to a vet to get their opinion? I think if hes healthy, your other dog will miss him and you have the money then you should give it a go but I think i'd speak to a vet first

Archived