Need some advice (social etiquette)

Hi,

Since English is my second language, I came across a few situations where I might offend someone without realizing it.

Right now, I am a sticky situation where I don't know if I have been rude or done wrong. My colleague(who is also my boss' daughter) gave me a contact number of her family 's friend who is sort of a middle man who has contacts with car dealers. She has done it to help me to buy my new first car because that friend of her has helped her whole family to buy cars at a good deal. I got in contact with that man and went to see a few cars but I ended up not getting any because I was not comfortable to be under the double pressure (from him and from the dealer) and also I don't think I had got a good deal (and I later find another offer with $500 less). Anyway, I went to car dealers with my friend today and got a different brand with the cars that he recommended me. So my colleague called me and asked about my car deal. She sounded upset because I didn't contact that man when I signed off my deal at the dealer. I have later call him and thank him for what he has done and let him know that I had gone for something else.

Have I done wrong? What do I need to reply to her message when she told me I should have contacted that man?

Thanks for any idea...

Guest guest30085

No, you haven't done anything wrong. At the end of the day, he works in Sales, and if you can get the same or similar product at a cheaper price, then you are bound to go elsewhere. It's just the nature of the job. Don't worry :hug:

You had the decency to call him to thank him, that is all that is necessary, most people wouldn't have even done that

It more the case that he would have got commission on the sale, which the friend who gave you his number may have suggested to him he'd get for sure as you were dead cert on needing/buying a car...

I think good on you for being savvy, for not signing under pressure (never a good thing to do) and for saving yourself a heap of money and getting a better deal!

Thanks for all of your kind replies. It's a relief to know that I haven't done anything wrong because I was under the impression that I have disappointed my colleague when I did not trust her family close friend. Now I can be totally happy with my car :hug:

Have a good night everyone!

Archived